C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Buy American (I mean Mexican), Eh?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 06:06 PM
Kid_Again
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Buy American (I mean Mexican), Eh?

OK, So I'm mildly emabarrased that I buy very little made in this country, though I try to buy Craftsman tools (I just bought a Craftsman 10" table saw, got it home and saw "Made in Taiwan" on the side )

When I put my two engines together, I was talked into getting GM water pumps. Fine, buy American, yadda yadda. Within the first six months, the small block's GM water pump GM bearing went - the hell with it, I put in a Weiand and no problems. A few weeks ago I posted a story about the big block, had some problems, took it apart/back together and then I noticed my really new GM water pump cracked on the driver's side between the bolt bosses

Well, I figured that, SOMEHOW, that was my fault and bought ANOTHER new genuine GM big block water pump, installed it no problem. Fired it up and let it warm up a bit before I took it on the road and when I got in the car, looked at the temp gauge and it was 220* :shocked: . This from a car that NEVER went above 210* at a stoplight in August with the AC running full blast. Gotta be me I figured, bad tsat, air pocket, SOMETHING. I took it apart HOT, pulled the tstat and it was STILL OPEN . Let it cool down, put it back together, filled it with water and watched the action through the radiator fill cap. THERE WAS NO WATER FLOW. Nothing, freakin' nothing. Usually looks like a water fall in there.

So, I'm returning my brand new water pump and if the dealer does not give me a refund, I swear to God I am sending all three pieces of S_H-I_T to the GM boardroom. I'll get another Weiand - I could care less where it's made.

Along with the water pumps, I'll send them the invoice for my new Infiniti G35 Coupe - I ALMOST looked at a new Corvette but the second water pump problem scared me off.

Fine, tell me all about how your Hondas and Toyotas also have problems. Too bad - I'm out for good. Unbelievable.

When is that company going to get decent management that actually demonstrates they believe in quality

[Modified by Kid_Again, 6:07 PM 6/20/2004]
Old 06-20-2004, 06:42 PM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
2015 C2 of Year
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10, '14-'15

Default Re: Buy American (I mean Mexican), Eh? (Kid_Again)

Back In Your Neighborhood Again

[Modified by Viet Nam Vett, 6:43 PM 6/20/2004]
Old 06-20-2004, 07:06 PM
Kid_Again
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Buy American (Viet Nam Vett)

...u got dat right

.....i was literally trying to get the big block up and running to take a drive to your place, i still have your number programmed on my cell phone...the way the new job works out, i drive downa' shore on friday night and now go back early monday morning so now i have loads of time......

...come to think of it, maybe this thing of driving to your place - maybe i should lie down till it passes

...freakin' cloud is over mexico, not here...gee, can't WAIT to see what happens if i buy a crate motor - do they play la cucaracha???
Old 06-20-2004, 07:27 PM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

2015 C2 of Year

Default Re: Buy American (Kid_Again)

Quote*
...freakin' cloud is over mexico, not here...gee, can't WAIT to see what happens if i buy a crate motor - do they play la cucaracha???
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heh...don't scare me...I'm geten ready to do the GMPP ZZ454/440 in Sept.

Maybe..I better learn to Curse in Spanish..!!!!
Old 06-20-2004, 07:40 PM
Kid_Again
Melting Slicks

..hey, congrats!

i WOULD NOT put a straight crate engine into my car...i would first give it somebody i trust to get the crap out of it, maybe buy it from scoggins dickey and have them replace the rings (the stock versions are intended to burn oil - and at least have those guys over it...

NOT in my freakin' car!
Old 06-20-2004, 11:04 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,188 Posts

It's called "globalziation"! GM has sold off most of its parts manufacturing operations, and the rumor is out that Caterpillar has bought EMD, which has been on the block for at least ten years. Supposely the deal close and announcement will be July 1, so if it happens, GM will be out of the locomotive business.

They are concentrating on designing and building autos and trucks, and all but the major components like engines and transmissions will be built by suppliers all over the world.

Labor costs in the U. S. are too high to build "low value" items, and most of the "AC/Delco" parts you now buy are built who knows where and are likely the same part as NAPA sells, except for the box.

Duke
Old 06-21-2004, 01:36 AM
ffas23
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Re: Buy American (SWCDuke)

I have to say I agree here with (SWCDuke) being in the auto parts business since 1978. I think I mentioned on this forum in the past that I have seen A/C Delco control modules manufactured in Singapore since the 80's. AC spark plugs coming out of Mexico and over seas. Your A/C Delco water pump probably came out of China. That is where most of your auto parts are coming from now days. Heck even Toyota, Honda and Nizzen get most of their parts there.

I have to say one thing in that I sell Purolator Oil Filters and probably about 90% of them are made right here in the states in Oklahoma. I have seen some oil and air filter pieces that were made in the far east reboxed under the Purolater name when a new foreign car first comes out until Purolater catches up with the newer foreign models though.

You need to face facts. Things are not like they use to be around here anymore. That is why guys like us go nuts over these old Corvettes and other American muscle cars of yesterday when most of us were teenagers. I know one other thing for a fact that most of you guys aren't listening to Rap music either we are still listening to those Oldies but Goodies.

[Modified by ffas23, 11:06 AM 6/21/2004]
Old 06-21-2004, 08:54 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Genuine GM Performance Part...............Check the box (Made in Taiwan).

[Modified by paul67, 8:56 AM 6/21/2004]
Old 06-21-2004, 09:49 AM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

2015 C2 of Year

Default Re: Buy American (Kid_Again)

..hey, congrats!

i WOULD NOT put a straight crate engine into my car...i would first give it somebody i trust to get the crap out of it, maybe buy it from scoggins dickey and have them replace the rings (the stock versions are intended to burn oil - and at least have those guys over it...

NOT in my freakin' car!

Ok...What you say makes alot of sence. But I'm not in the habit of buying something for 5 to 6 Grand and then sending it out to get checked and spending another Grand or so to have it gone over.

So then .....I find and old 454 block....2-3 Grand..and invest 2-4 Grand in a custom build...is that the route??

So...GMPP is out?? Or..Just have Lars build me one all ready run in and ready to rock.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:27 AM
ffas23
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

If I am not mistakin GM High Performance crate motors are still build in the USA and are ran at the factory before crating but standard GM crate motors like the ones that were advertised complete less intake and water pump for under $1500 years ago are built in Mexico unless there has been a change I don't know about. This is what I have understood in the past. I was told this when I purchased my 350-345hp Chevy HO engine code ZZZ for my Street Rod about 10 years ago.
Old 06-21-2004, 01:29 PM
Denney
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kid, when I bought my bb crate motor, I called Summit Racing and ordered their short nose bb chevy water pump. In the now almost 3 years of running it, I run solidly at 180 F (ironically the same temp as my t-stat). Haven't seen any problems with it whatsoever. Don't know who makes it (or even if it is in the US), but that's the route I have followed for some time and have never been disappointed...
Old 06-21-2004, 02:08 PM
Brutal64
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE
So...GMPP is out?? Or..Just have Lars build me one all ready run in and ready to rock.[/QUOTE]

VNV, that sounds like the best idea you've come up with yet. Just might be a good excuse to get the CCC together with the NJCC.

[Modified by Brutal64, 12:08 PM 6/21/2004]
Old 06-21-2004, 09:08 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: Buy American (Brutal64)

I was devestated a couple of years ago when I bought a replacement AC Delco radiator cap from my local Chevy dealer and I saw on the box it was Made in India and of course, it leaked. Amazing how much better the cooling system works when the cap holds pressure! (Currently using a Stant of unknown origin) and, my Toyota? 97 Lexus es300, 117k miles with only scheduled dealer maintenance.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:40 PM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

2015 C2 of Year

Default Re: Buy American (Brutal64)

[QUOTE
So...GMPP is out?? Or..Just have Lars build me one all ready run in and ready to rock.

VNV, that sounds like the best idea you've come up with yet. Just might be a good excuse to get the CCC together with the NJCC.

[Modified by Brutal64, 12:08 PM 6/21/2004]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah......we could fly all of the "CCC"er's...in for a Drink Drag and Tune....or
is it Tune Drink and then Drag..

Now ....how can we raise the money to get you guys here?
Old 06-21-2004, 10:33 PM
john m
Drifting

Received 250 Likes on 66 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'06

Imagine my suprise when I opened the boxes for my repro bolt on wheels for the 67 and saw that the center caps state "Made in China" and the starbursts are made in Taiwan ROC....
Old 06-21-2004, 11:15 PM
Hyder59
Advanced

This months Chevy High Performance has a very small article on a place in Mich that builds all the GMPP crate motors. It looks like a cross between an assembly line and a custom shop. Maybe all the folks there are machinists and no exactly what they are doing and why but I doubt it. So I think all the high po stuff is built in the states, but everything else is wherever the lowest labor cost is. :flag
Old 06-21-2004, 11:59 PM
Kelly Burnside
Melting Slicks

Location: Screw you guys, I'm going home.... Homeless in Ohio
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Buy American (Hyder59)

I went to Jegs about a month ago getting parts for my 69 and I was looking at one of their GM crate motors. I thought it looked nice until I got to the back and what did I see. Made in Mexico. I am pretty sure it was a 350 crate engine. I may have to go back to verify this but it sure said Made in Mexico on the block. Scarey!!

Get notified of new replies

To Buy American (I mean Mexican), Eh?

Old 06-22-2004, 08:54 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Here is another one. Carlisle spinners from "American" Racing - Made in South Africa.

Old 06-23-2004, 11:13 PM
Blkblt
Drifting

Well...If you really want an engine built that will be quality and will run, then Lars is the way to go. He is just finishing up a 67/427 that was trashed by the previous builder. I looked at the heads a couple of days ago....nutin' but quality at a VERY reasonable price! This, after a total bare block rebuild of an American "custom" built 406 crate that turned out to be a hodge-podge of mis-matched and mis-represented junk parts that one of the CCCers paid good $$ for. He settled with the "well known" builder for a pittance 'cause he is a good-hearted and nice guy, but I was involved in the tear-down, and what I saw bordered on criminal IMHO. If you don't know the builder, you just don't know what you are going to get....GM or otherwise as far as I am concerned.

Good luck.

Jeff; Charter CCC
1966. Modified L72
The Silver Beast
Keep on
Old 06-24-2004, 05:03 PM
Kid_Again
Melting Slicks

...ultimately, i suppose, i don't care where it's made - business is businexs - what pizzes me off about GM is the lack of quality...the japanese piloted globalization by building assembly plants in the US and as far as i know, there was no dfference in quality between japan-built and marysville-built accords...it's the MANAGEMENT PHILOSOPHY...though alabama-built M-series mercedes are real turds from what i read

...hell, i have electrical gremlins in my new G35 but it's not a big deal so i try to be a realist...but 3 FOR 3??????gimme a break

VNV.....i also saw that article in CHP on the third party crate assembly shop and found it interesting BUT they have to work on components made south of the border...i wonder what the acceptance specs are for the assembly shop...i had my two engines rebuilt and should have just put them on the shelf, bought bb crate engines, sent them off to my guy and rocked on

Quick Reply: Buy American (I mean Mexican), Eh?