C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Fawn Fuelie?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 09:26 AM
62fuelie
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Fawn Fuelie?

My 62 is currently brilliant "resale red", with red interior. I have been reasonable sure ever since I've owned the car that it was originally fawn beige. After removing the rear license plate bracket yesterday, there is now no question, as the original fawn beige lacquer resides underneath.

The current paint, which is bc/cc, is about a 9 on a 1-10 scale, but I am thinking about "freshing it up" in the next few weeks, mainly because I think the color is a little too orange. I suspect whoever mixed it may have looked at a faded sample of Roman Red and tried to match it rather than finding the correct mixing formula.

Anyway, I keep seeing references to Fawn Beige that seem to indicate that it is really something special. Is this because of rarity (1800+/- units), or just because it's such an UGLY color? I really can't see myself painting the car back in FB. I really like red, even though there may be too many red Corvettes around. One more won't hurt. Besides, it matches the '67, which was originally white.

Any real good, compelling reason I ought to change the color back to FB? I'm not concerned with judging or utter originality. The car is and will continue to be a near daily driver. I solicit your learned opinions. I'm probably going to paint the car back red regardless, but I'm interested in your thoughts on the subject.
:auto:
Old 04-18-2004, 10:19 AM
Viking427
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Fawn Fuelie? (62fuelie)

Are you sure your Roman red is a too "orange" ? ..you'd be suprised how orange Roman red is supposed to look in bright daylight, Venetian red is even more so. If you're happy with the red color and your not planning on having it judged, then leave it red. If your current paint is in 9 outa 10, then your in much, much better shape than most C1 owners out there, why repaint at all ? ..new paint is yet another $5k-$8k expenditure, especially if its unneccesary. Fear not, if you're driving your car, the paint will look crappy enough to repaint it FB sooner than you'd think :D
Old 04-18-2004, 10:20 AM
62fuelie
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Fawn Fuelie? (Viking427)

I own a paint shop, so the cost to repaint is pretty much limited to the cost of materials.
Old 04-18-2004, 10:59 AM
achapman
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I saw a Fawn Beige 62 Vette last fall at our weekly gathering, and I must say it stood out. Granted it was using the new paint technology, but it was stunning, and then again maybe it was the fact that it was not just another "Red" Vette.

If I remember correctly, if you look in the right rear of the truck, behind the interior it should have a grease stencile for the color of the car as it came down the assembly line. If it was FB, I'd go for it. Just my .02.... :cheers:
Old 04-18-2004, 11:39 AM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 527 Likes on 376 Posts

Default Re: Fawn Fuelie? (achapman)

While I personally like FB, and dislike Roman Red, it is up to you to decide what color you like! You need to please yourself, be it Olive Drab or Puke Green.

I did the same thing on my 62 (took off the license plate holder) and found a nice bright Metallic Red (no orange at all, and being metallic, can't be Roman Red). I had seen this red elsewhere on the Vette (under the windshield frame, under some of the door trimmings, etc.). Either it came from the factory as a special color (and from what I am told, this was possible but rare), or it was stripped completely and then repainted properly. No way for me to tell at this stage. Vette is now Honduras Maroon and is staying that way for the time being.

Plasticman
Old 04-18-2004, 11:40 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Fawn is a very attractive colour.

Old 04-18-2004, 12:06 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Why do restorers paint 62`s Red? Probably because Red stands out more than any other color? Easier to sell? I went to Stanfords Vette show last June and seven 1962`s showed up. 6 Reds and my lone Black :lol: There are other colors and all Vettes are NOT RED :cheers:
Old 04-18-2004, 12:08 PM
62fuelie
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Fawn Fuelie? (Plasticman)

I too, had seen the evidence of the fawn beige under the door panels, under the windshield, etc. Pulling the license frame off was the icing on the cake. If I do repaint red, I'm tempted to leave the "evidence" for some future owner/restorer.

If I change the color back, I would have to strip all the red off and do a real through job. I probably don't want to get into that right now and will probably settle for a "freshening" of the red or just spot in the couple of little areas I need to do to fix a couple of stress cracks. :auto:
Old 04-18-2004, 02:46 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,980 Likes on 4,800 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

I would repaint he car the orgianal color :thumbs:
Old 04-18-2004, 03:34 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Default Re: Fawn Fuelie? (Nowhere Man)

That's the beauty of a C1 - you can paint it any production color you want, and there's nothing (that's judged) that's a clue as to what color it's "supposed" to be. :thumbs:
Old 04-18-2004, 09:53 PM
aupaul
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Fawn Fuelie? (JohnZ)

Fuelie, My car is Red with Fawn Interior. Every one seems to love the Fawn but most don't belive it to be a Factory color combo. I would never have bought it back in the day But I LOVE IT NOW !!! :rofl:
Old 04-18-2004, 11:44 PM
Cruzmeisters
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Re: Fawn Fuelie? (aupaul)

I drove from Pittsburgh to Erie back in 1979 to have my '62 painted, and up until the time my front tires touched the painter's driveway, I couldn't decide on factory red or glossy white (it was originally factory "off-white"). Lou Passmore said "WELL?"...and I chose "GLOSSY white" :thumbs:
:steering: Cruz :steering:

[Modified by Cruzmeisters, 11:45 PM 4/18/2004]
Old 04-19-2004, 12:32 AM
62fuelie
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Fawn Fuelie? (aupaul)

Paul, there are a certain number of '62's known to have been delivered in non standard colors, so almost anything is possible. Seems I remember that a few cars were even supposedly shipped out in primer. :auto:
Old 04-19-2004, 07:51 AM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 836 Likes on 456 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

As you might be able to tell from the picture below, my family favors fawn. The "Original" is painted in DuPont lacquer, and the "Not-original" is painted in PPG BC/CC. Just bought a new Dodge pickup that is Light Almond Pearl (almost fawn), but I am thinking about something "copper" colored for my new '59 project car.

Paint your car whatever color you prefer. If you want to prove that it is an "original" color, strip ALL the paint off, get yourself a green lumber crayon and behind the passenger seat write in the color of your choice.
Charles
Old 04-19-2004, 01:52 PM
big-apple
Intermediate

Fuelie--------been going through the same thing---my 64 is in the paint shop right now-----been trying to decide between the original silver-blue---or torch red----car is presently riverside red-------have basically decided to stick with as you say resale red-----Apple :cool:
Old 04-19-2004, 04:35 PM
c1dream
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wish I was dealing with the problem you are currently facing. I'm a C1 wana be, see name, and have been most of my life. Had to settle for a Pewter 01 as I'm not as mechanicaly talented as Iwould need to be for the C1.

Anyhow I must tell you, theat IMHO, the prettiest vette I have ever seen in all my life was a Fawn 62 with a red interior. It was at a local show (Long Island) when I was a teen and it was the car that I would continue to want, and still do, today.

Since your halfway there, with the red interior, my advise is go Fawn and it will stand out among all the faded reds, and dull blacks.
Old 04-19-2004, 04:58 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Default Re: Fawn Fuelie? (c1dream)

Since your halfway there, with the red interior, my advise is go Fawn and it will stand out among all the faded reds, and dull blacks.
Where are you coming from. "dull blacks" I take exception! :lol: :cheers: :party: :nono: :lol:

Get notified of new replies

To Fawn Fuelie?

Old 04-19-2004, 05:17 PM
1960fivette
Racer

Default Re: Fawn Fuelie? (c1dream)

If I were in your position, I would drive and enjoy the car as is for a while and take a look at Fawn Beige on someone else's car. That could make the decision for you one way or the other. If you are not concerned with originality, do what makes you happy! As C1dream said, I wish I was in your position of having a roadworth C1. My 60 is half way through a ground up restoration, hope to have it done in 2-3 years!

Greg
1960fivette :seeya
Old 04-19-2004, 10:27 PM
62fuelie
Melting Slicks

OK, OK, I've looked up the paint formula for Fawn Beige and will mix up a small batch tomorrow and shoot a test panel. I'm not 100% convinced it really goes that well with the red interior, but I'll take a closer look. :beatdeadhorse:
Old 04-19-2004, 11:22 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 527 Likes on 376 Posts

Think your better off seeing a complete Vette in that combination. While I stated previously that I like Fawn Biege, I have to say that the Red interior would have me leaning towards the Red again. Saw a FB 62 Vette with Red interior up at a local museum last year, and did not like that combo.

Good luck in your choice!

Plasticman

Quick Reply: Fawn Fuelie?