C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Grand Sport Replica Kits?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 12:18 AM
abnormal_vetter
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Grand Sport Replica Kits?

Are you still able to buy Grand Sport Replica Kits? I was a fan of the kit that D&D Corvette had available, but since the owner went to jail some time ago over some shady dealings that knocks that on the head!
Are there any companies that offer kits? and the same as what D&D Corvette did?
As a forum, you may have covered this already. I have always been a huge fan of Grand Sport #3 and would love to replicate it. No way i would ever be able to afford the original! :(
Old 04-10-2004, 12:08 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Default Re: Grand Sport Replica Kits? (mantaxp882)

The Grand Sport replica kit manufacturers have all been shut down by GM's lawyers since GM decided to protect the car's design "trade dress" rights about two years ago. The only one left is Jeff Leach at Mid-America Industries in Milan, Illinois; GM left him alone, as he starts with a donor production body and grafts his own front and rear clips on it - GM considers that a "modification", not a completely-from-scratch re-creation. Dean (D&D) is out of jail, but D&D is out of business, and Timeless and GSR are too.

The only way to get a D&D GS is to find a used one, and un-built D&D kits surface occasionally on eBay. The D&D Grand Sport I built in 1996 (#39) was sold three months ago at Barrett-Jackson.

:steering:
Old 04-10-2004, 08:34 PM
Mecom Racer
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Grand Sport Replica Kits? (JohnZ)

I'm building a Mid America car right now. Jeff is working on the frame and body. I should be picking the frame up next week - the body by the end of May. Here are some progress pics and my concept rendering:

Old 04-10-2004, 09:07 PM
BC66 cnv.
Advanced

Default Re: Grand Sport Replica Kits? (Mecom Racer)

Mecom Thanks for the photos , thats one stoute looking frame ,not to mention the rest of the goods .That will be unreal nice when completed.
Good Luck and keep us posted ,I'd really like to see it when its finished.
Bruce C. :thumbs:
Old 04-10-2004, 09:20 PM
64_365
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Grand Sport Replica Kits? (BC66 cnv.)

Are there any sources for the seats?
Old 04-11-2004, 01:13 AM
abnormal_vetter
Racer

Default Re: Grand Sport Replica Kits? (64_365)

Thanks guys. Its all a little disheartening, but thanks. Looks like the dream of having a GS is a little unhealthy. See how we go i suppose.
Old 04-11-2004, 05:29 AM
Mecom Racer
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys. Its all a little disheartening, but thanks. Looks like the dream of having a GS is a little unhealthy. See how we go i suppose.
It's only unhealthy to your pocketbook. :p:
Old 04-11-2004, 05:31 AM
Mecom Racer
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Grand Sport Replica Kits? (64_365)

Are there any sources for the seats?
Mine will have '79-'82 Corvette seats which I bought on eBay and will be recovered in custom leather with new foam.
Old 04-11-2004, 05:52 AM
aworks
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Mecom Racer. looks like Jeff is making some progress. make sure you mock up your frame before you powdercoat. you may need to make some very minor changes. I'll post some more pics as things move along. By the way your eng looks great. Did you ever come up with a tire and wheel combo?
Old 04-12-2004, 01:06 AM
abnormal_vetter
Racer

JohnZ,

From what you were saying i'm gathering that i need a 63-64 body to be able to recreate a GS. i have located one that I am able to get. Do you have the contact details of the fella from Mid-America who does these GS's? Another question, do his cars use mid year frame and suspension or C4, like D&D did or is that left to you? what parts will i have to buy to get this up and running?

Thanks for your info.

much appreciated. :thumbs:
Old 04-12-2004, 10:47 AM
aworks
Melting Slicks

If you use jeffs frame it takes C4 parts. Depending on what drivetrain you want,you can expect to spend around 30 to 40 grand. And thats if you can do the work yourself. Jeffs number is 309 787 5119. I'm building one now and I also build a D&D car in 1999. and have since sold it. Jeffs parts are better than most and its not that hard to build. I just posted some pics of my body a few days ago check it out.
Old 04-12-2004, 10:47 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Check out Jeff's info at http://www.corvettegs.com/ - his phone number is there on the site. Any mid-year coupe body will work, and I think his package will work with a stock midyear frame or he can build a correct tube frame that uses C4 suspension and brakes (see photos above on the one he's building now). If you're going to the time and expense to have a GS built, it doesn't make much sense to put it on a stock frame. Give Jeff a call and discuss your needs.
:thumbs:
Old 04-12-2004, 01:19 PM
Mecom Racer
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Grand Sport Replica Kits? (aworks)

Mecom Racer. looks like Jeff is making some progress. make sure you mock up your frame before you powdercoat. you may need to make some very minor changes. I'll post some more pics as things move along. By the way your eng looks great. Did you ever come up with a tire and wheel combo?
The frame issues are all addressed at this point so I'm confident all is well. As for tires and wheels I ended up going with actual Halibrand wheels which are similar in design to the old magnesium versions but are 17x8 fronts with Good Year Eagle GS in 245/40/17 and 18x10 rears with 295/45/18. That combo will fill the rear wheelwell and is a good pro-mod/pro-touring design which is what I'm after. My car is a "tribute" rather than a "replica".
Old 04-12-2004, 03:45 PM
JCL
Burning Brakes

GS Replica's over in Akron, now gone, really had a great kit. Mike had a SB "434", auto combo that was super. He ran my companys exhaust baffles for the sidepipes. Street driven, road raced, autoX, drags, One Lap of America, Run & Gun, etc. He did them all.
Anyway I guess my point being here is why GM is making such a stink about replica's, seeing how they only made 5 "true" Grand Sports. To me that means only 5 "real" ones. GM needs to get a grip on what's important, and not. IMHO this is not an issue................ At $70,000 and up, not everyone can afford to even do a replica. :nonod: :nonod: :nonod: :nonod:

[Modified by JCL, 2:48 PM 4/12/2004]
Old 04-13-2004, 01:31 AM
CaptRon
Cruising

I just joined this forum and saw the GS replica thread. I've been working on a D&D for about 2 years now. Dean was absolutely no help at all - for that matter he still owes me around $2,000 for parts he never delivered. A number of other people were in the same boat. I wonder if that's why he wound up in jail? I know that some of his customers were starting to take legal action (again) maybe a year or two ago. D&D had also gone backrupt at least once before I bought the frame and body. I hadn't heard about Chevy's legal action, but I think that was not Dean's main problem.

ERA, who had the exclusive rights to build D&D based GS's for a couple of years, also dropped the project. Mine was one of the first "kits" (and I use that term loosely) that D&D produced after the ERA exclusive expired.

Anyway, the car is a roller now, with a much modified 400 ci LT4 sitting in the frame in front of a Muncie M22 and Dana 44. I expect to start the engine in around 2 to 3 weeks - waiting for the fuel cell now and I still have to plumb in the fuel, oil and water lines. The unfinished body is currently off the car while I finish up the chassis and running gear.

I no longer consider this a "kit" car. With no help from the "manufacturer" (D&D) - I've been left to fabricate just about everything I need. But I like doing this so I have no real complaints about that (yet). This could change as I start getting into the body.

If D&D ever resurfaces again, anyone wanting to do business with him should be extremely wary.

Ron Marcuse
Old 04-13-2004, 05:39 AM
aworks
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Grand Sport Replica Kits? (CaptRon)

Ron when you start the body email me and i can give you some much needed help. I built one from a raw D&D body and would not mind helping you out. I have been getting calls from many guys in the same boat as you. I had Phil from ERA at my shop when they where trying to build a coupe. I also went to there R&D shop to help out, but Phil just gave up on the project.One thing to keep in mind is you must build some type of bird cage for the body, the body as dean built them is very weak. Poor door fit and much cowl shake. Email me any time.

[Modified by aworks, 11:11 AM 4/13/2004]
Old 04-15-2004, 05:26 PM
solidlift
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is gonna be one GORGEOUS car!
I too am very interested in aquiring a kit. Have even thought about building a couple and selling them. (will have to keep one of course!!! LOL)
:cool:

Get notified of new replies

To Grand Sport Replica Kits?

Quick Reply: Grand Sport Replica Kits?