C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Liters vs. cubic inches vs. marketing vs. common sense

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 02:45 AM
0Navy Blue
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Liters vs. cubic inches vs. marketing vs. common sense

http://www.metric-conversions.org/vo...bic-inches.htm

Above is a link to a metric conversion site.

Here are some conversions:

5.70 liters = 347.83 cubic inches (C5)
6.00 liters = 366.14 cubic inches (C6)
6.40 liters = 390.55 cubic inches (Z06?)
6.50 liters = 396.54 cubic inches (Z06?)
7.00 liters = 427.17 cubic inches (Blue Devil?)
7.45 liters = 454.63 cubic inches (?????)

My questions:

1) If Chevy is as American as apple pie and it's the new "American Revolution", why are we referring to our engines in liters, yet we still buy our gasoline by the gallon?

2) If 5.7 liters is 347.83 cubic inches, why do many enthusiasts refer to the C5 LS1 as a 346?

3) Why are some people referring to the C6 engine as a 364 and not a 366?

4) With Chevy's great history with numbers like 283, 327, 350, 396, 427, and 454 why is the C5 a 5.7 liter and the C6 a 6.0 liter?

5) For marketing purposes why didn't GM make the base engine in the C5 a 350 cubic inch instead of a 348 cubic inch?

6) For marketing purposes why didn't GM make the base engine in the C6 a 396 cubic inch instead of a 366 cubic inch?

7) As a red-blooded American would you be more excited about owning a new Corvette with a 427 or a 7.0?

8) I have a career in high-end sales and marketing and for the life of me I cannot understand why we going down this path with the Corvette (America's Sports Car) - Am I the only one that is confused?
Old 04-06-2004, 03:34 AM
0Navy Blue
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Liters vs. cubic inches vs. marketing vs. common sense (Navy Blue)

Jaggeedfire on the C3 forum answered most of my questions...

1) The world over is changing to metric. Check your nuts and bolts in your Vette and tell me you dont have at least one metric!!!!
2)First off its all about buid specs. If you take the bore (4 in) x stroke (3.48) x 8 cylinders you actually get 349.84775~ ci. Taking that and converting to cubic cent. you get 5732.9776~.

1000 cc = 1L

5732.9776 = approx 5.7 liters.

The LS1 is actually only a 5.665 L which rounded is 346!!

3) As above most of these are rounded to sound good.

4) Bigger is better........most of the time! With better valve train timing and better engineering they can achieve better fuel consumption and keep the epa happy. So they can make a bigger motor that only burns max fuel 30% of the time burn cleaner than the engine that burns less fuel but at all ranges of the performance spectrum.

5) GM isnt playing on the nostalgia as much as mopar is with old engine numbers. Its the hey..were new attitude..Moving forward instead of backward kinda thing although the LS cars are still pushrod powered...go figure

6) Not every American can afford the insurance on a factory 427 sports car!!!!
If thats what you want, go with the Gulstrand Vette- in the price range of a Ferrari. Again thats why they limit it to a smaller size. Sales volume!! The original ideal of Chevy was the Corvette is the sports car all Americans can own. The exotic is coming ...By Caddy!
Old 04-06-2004, 07:40 AM
kyosho
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tires, nuts/bolts, everything is in metric on the car.\

Funny though on tires. P245/50ZR16. 245mm section width, but a 16" wheel. :crazy: :crazy:
Old 04-06-2004, 11:07 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Default Re: Liters vs. cubic inches vs. marketing vs. common sense (kyosho)

I hate metric :rant: :chill:
Old 04-06-2004, 11:46 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Default Re: Liters vs. cubic inches vs. marketing vs. common sense (Nowhere Man)

Metric is the established standard almost everywhere in the world except in the U.S. - that's just the way it is; all the domestics began the conversion to metric beginning about 20 years ago, and every single fastener in every domestic car is metric (and has been) for many years. Engines and transmissions were the last to convert, as the older components finally went out of production and were replaced with all-new ones.

About the only U.S./English measure worldwide standards left are wheel sizes (always designed/expressed in inches - Michelin tried a metric wheel size - the "TRX" wheel used briefly on the Ferrari 328 in the late 80's, but it didn't catch on), and the 1/4"-20 tripod socket found on the bottom of every camera in the world. We are an "island" of English measure - the rest of the world is metric.
:cheers:
Old 04-06-2004, 11:55 AM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Default Re: Liters vs. cubic inches vs. marketing vs. common sense (JohnZ)

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The world over is changing to metric. Check your nuts and bolts in your Vette and tell me you dont have at least one metric!!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nope, not a one on the whole 62 Vette (checked this morning)!
:jester

Plasticman

[Modified by Plasticman, 10:56 AM 4/6/2004]
Old 04-06-2004, 12:30 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,188 Posts

GM Powertrain does all their design work in metric. Nominal bore and stroke in millimeters are used to compute total displacement in cc, and then the value is rounded to the nearest tenth liter and cubic inch. The LS1 displacement (99 x 92mm ) is 5665.5 cc, which rounds to 5.7L. Converting to cubic inches yields 345.71, which rounds to 346. Once a number is rounded, you can't go backwards to determine a more precise value.

The LS2 nominal bore is 101.6mm, and the stroke is the same as LS1, so you can do the math as in the above example and see how they arrived at the displacement in the various units. BTW, one liter equals 61.02 cubic inches.

The metric system is a much easier system to work with since everything is based on 10. The US attempted to "officially" convert to metric in the seventies, but it failed.

Metric conversion is long overdue, but despite the fact that the US still "officially" uses the cumbersome English system of units industry is making the conversion on its own. Gasoline in gallons and speed in MPH will probably be the last holdouts.

As an interesting historical sidebar, the French tried to convert to "metric time" after the Revolution, but it failed. Our basis of measuring time goes back to the Sumerian civilization from 6000 years ago in what in now Iraq when they developed a numbering system based on 60. It's tough to change 6000 years of tradition! The metric system has only been around for about 200 years, so there is hope we can make the change.

Duke

[Modified by SWCDuke, 9:32 AM 4/6/2004]
Old 04-06-2004, 08:13 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I was missing a couple of crankshaft cap bolts for a 2000 4.3 V6 and they are all metric. Went to the inch bolt bin and found some IN INCH that fit perfect. Just because a metric wrench fits the head doesn't always mean the threads are metric.

We have been metric since about 1973 and working in a university all testing is done in metric but I still think inches, machine in inches, calculate strength of material is PSI. Motor sizes in inches etc, etc. Ask my students about imperial and they think metric. Ask any of them how tall they are, any of them and they reply feet and inches??? How heavy are you??? Answer is in pounds.
Figure that one out. My wife is a nurse and temperature is charted in metric, weight in pounds and height in feet.
Figure that out??
The world is screwed up.

Pounds is a force, I applied 500 pounds= force.
Kilograms is not a force. I applied 225 kg does not equal force. I have to convert to neutons or muliply by 9.8 or 2,200 neutons = Force.
How about my new car 4576mm long.

Give me the old feet/inches/ pounds.

[Modified by norvalwilhelm, 7:14 PM 4/6/2004]
Old 04-06-2004, 10:17 PM
SMI-FST
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Liters vs. cubic inches vs. marketing vs. common sense (Plasticman)

Have'nt found any on my 65 either. ;)
Old 04-06-2004, 10:30 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Default Re: Liters vs. cubic inches vs. marketing vs. common sense (SMI-FST)

mm, Liters.. What are these units of measure. I been educated in the south we measure in Bubba a foot is 12" and I can drink a gallon of moon shine before I fall out.. :lol: :lol: and if I can't drink it all I can put it in my vette to get me home if I run short on gas.. :lol: :lol:
Old 04-06-2004, 10:41 PM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 181 Posts

Default Re: Liters vs. cubic inches vs. marketing vs. common sense (norvalwilhelm)

Not to be a stickler, but it's newtons. As an engineer, working in SI units (system international) is much easier. And having different units for mass and force (weight) saves confusion instead of pounds-force and pounds-mass. Even tho the English system does have a separate unit for mass, how many people do you know use 'slugs' to express mass? Not many, I'll bet.

But imagine my surprise when I started working for the Japanese and learned that they use kilograms for both force and mass! They will write it as kgf, or kilograms force instead of newtons. I spent several weeks doing a FE analysis on a space born mirror only to find out they had provided data in kgf, no kg.

And the confusion got deeper when I tried to explain the problem - it seems their Japanese/English dictionary translates mass and force into the same word in Japanese!
Old 04-06-2004, 11:28 PM
MidShark
Melting Slicks

Received 275 Likes on 143 Posts

Default Re: Liters vs. cubic inches vs. marketing vs. common sense (pdeinc)

The factory emblems on my '64 GTO say "6.5 LITRE".
I still refer to it as a 389, though. "Three Dueces and a four-speed, and a 6.5 LITRE" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Dick

Get notified of new replies

To Liters vs. cubic inches vs. marketing vs. common sense

Quick Reply: Liters vs. cubic inches vs. marketing vs. common sense