C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

It is Alive! (A Little long. But what it took to get my FI running)

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 08:24 AM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default It is Alive! (A Little long. But what it took to get my FI running)

Full story and more pics on website)

My friend Fred and I discussed and fortunately came to the conclusion that rather than wait to put the body on to test run it and break it in, lets fire this puppy up sitting right there in the chassis. In hindsight, this was by far the right decision. I recommend this to anyone and it is relatively easy to do. It wasn't without obstacles, but the obstacles were much easier to overcome having full access to both the electric, the engine, and the FI Unit without bending over fenders and the firewall in the way.

Steps:

-Picked up a cheap mechanical water temp and oil pressure gauges at Advance Auto (Cost about $28). Installed the water temp sensor with the gauge temporarily until engine is tested. Oil pressure hooked right up to the back of the engine.
-Had a timing light with a tach built in.
-Cut a 2x4 and placed it across the front frame rails and set the radiator on it
-Put a fan in front of the radiator (needed a stronger one though)
-Fred (the wire man) made up his own harness with a remote starter, on/off switch, kill switch, and ballast resistor.
-Filled the gas tank
-Cranked the engine over just enough to get oil pressure and fuel pressure with the ignition off
-Hooked up an old battery (didn't want to use my date coded Tar-Top for this)

Gotta love it. The loving and trusting wife. Always thinking ahead!

Some of the obstacles we had to overcome and some tricks we learned. I originally expected we would get it running about 2-3pm on Saturday. However, it took a couple of extra hours to sort out a few things.

At first we had no spark. Once we sorted out the spark issue (turned out to be a simple wiring issue. Didn't figure that out until we swapped the coil thinking the coil was bad). Then we were not getting fuel through the injectors even though the pump was cranking. I resorted to finally pulling out the service manual. If you have seen the chapter in the service manual on the Fuelie Unit, unless you are knowledgeable on Fuelie Units, which I am not, it's greek. But, we persevered.

There was a bench test procedure in the manual. We disconnected one of the copper lines to the injectors and put a drill on the pump (attached to a drive cable without a housing on it to make sure it was installed correctly and turning correctly). Still no stream of fuel coming through. Then there was a picture in the book that had a comment "Apply Oral Vacuum Here". There is a vacuum tube that goes into the Cranking Signal Valve (don't ask me what it does). I hooked up a long vacuum line to it, cranked the drill, and sucked on the tube at the same time and gas started flowing.

While doing that we then connected the injector tube and hit the starter and she fired right up. I then connected the vacuum line and we got it to run (break-in) for about 12-14 minutes at about 2200rpm before she started to overheat (we shut it down when it got up to about 210. Didn't want to go any hire with a new engine). I think it ran hot because the timing was still off a bit, the fan wasn't strong enough, and there is still an air pocket in the cooling system. No big deal.

So the moral is of the story is, foreplay. You must suck on it first before it will start for the first time. Apparently, even though the drive was working correctly, until there is intial vacuum applied, the bowl doesn't fill up with gas. Must open somethign up internally. Once full though, then it will start and create it's own vacuum.

After that though it started right up. We ran it several more times before we called it quits. Starts right up now and purrs like a kitten. I would have like to have run it a while longer for a better break-in period. But I think what we got out of it was enough.

:cheers: :cheers:

:party: :party:

[Modified by 78Vette-SA, 8:25 AM 3/7/2004]
Old 03-07-2004, 09:11 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,982 Likes on 4,802 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Default Re: It is Alive! (78Vette-SA)

did you have enough people to help ya :D I like your cooling fan now all you need is a body and your good to go for the summer :chevy :thumbs: :party:
Old 03-07-2004, 11:22 AM
K2
Melting Slicks

Received 130 Likes on 63 Posts

Default Re: It is Alive! (Nowhere Man)

Wow that's exciting! I went through the process about this time last year. There is nothing like hearing that fuelie fire up for the first time. Just for your information- vacuum controls the main fuel delivery diaphragm which controls the amount of fuel to the injectors. Without vacuum all of the fuel bypasses via the spill plunger back to the float chamber. When you apply vacuum the diaphragm linkage opens the spill valve which feeds the fuel spider. The air flowing through the air meter creates a proportionate vacuum signal which controls the main fuel diaphragm. A separate enrichment system richens the mixture when cold.
Congratulations, I'm sure it sounds wonderful after all that work.
:cheers:
Old 03-07-2004, 11:44 AM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
2015 C2 of Year
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10, '14-'15

Looks like you all had fun.. But I have found that you have less problems when ever one is drinking "beer"... Instead of coffee.. At my tranny install party last year.. we all had beer ...before...during... and after... the tranny was installed.

When we ran into a problem..we just had some more beers. After a few seconds we were able to solve the glitches..

This shop practice was adpoted and recomended by the "CCC". More beer...equals..more trips to the bathroom enabling more time for problem solving.

Your project and work done looks Fantastic..!!! It's a shame you have to bolt the body on...

Great Job....Looking forward to more pic's... :thumbs: :cheers:
Old 03-07-2004, 10:36 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Default Re: It is Alive! (Viet Nam Vett)

Thanks all. And K2, thanks for the technical reasoning. I may add it to my website.

And VNV, the cooler was full when we started and empty by the end of the day. Only way to go!

On anotehr note. Went out there later today (Sunday). Clicked the remote starter and it fired up instantaneously and just sat there purring again. Mission accomplished!

Cleaned all the boxes out of the body tonight (leftover shipping boxes) and moved the body over to the middle bay. time to start getting it ready for paint now. Beginning of Phase III, or whatever!

:auto: :auto: :auto:
Old 03-08-2004, 08:20 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Helluwa good job you're doing there! Keep us posted. :yesnod: :cheers:
Old 03-08-2004, 08:21 AM
Rair67
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the useful information.

I will be going through the same process w/ my fuely in about a year, and will take note of your techniques.

:cheers:
Old 03-08-2004, 08:35 AM
rix 65
Instructor

Congrat's, been there done that. Nothing like hearing that puppy start up and run.they just don't make'm that way any more................. :party:
Old 03-08-2004, 08:36 AM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 268 Posts

Default Re: It is Alive! (Rair67)

Good detective work on the job, but I feel a little cheated, no pics on the website of the oral Vacuum :D

Keep the updates comming

Tom
Old 03-08-2004, 02:09 PM
64roadster
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Wow, this is exactly what we hope to do later this month or early April. While we don't have a fuelie your tips should come in pretty handy. Then we only have to wait for the body and paint work to be completed... the body guy has been working on it since March of 2004 but promises it soon!

Congratulations, I can't wait to see your progress.
Old 03-08-2004, 02:33 PM
six-T-six
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

http://161.58.5.90/youngf/alive.wav :D

Looking good! :party:
Old 03-08-2004, 09:21 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Default Re: It is Alive! (six-T-six)

Thanks again guys. I've been thinking about that moment for months. Getting closer and closer everyday.

Start prepping the body for paint this week. :auto: :auto: :auto:
Old 03-08-2004, 11:19 PM
Dyna
Instructor

Hey 78,

Congrat's! all my fond memories of various engine firings came back as you described your startup. How cool!

Dyna
Old 03-09-2004, 09:10 AM
kyosho
Pro

Default Re: It is Alive! (Dyna)

Very nice. Have been following your progress. That things is way too clean to drive now though...

Get notified of new replies

To It is Alive! (A Little long. But what it took to get my FI running)

Quick Reply: It is Alive! (A Little long. But what it took to get my FI running)