C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

California wants C1s and C2s off the road

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 12:19 AM
ghostrider20
Le Mans Master

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

Default Re: California wants C1s and C2s off the road (SWCDuke)

those 45 degree mornings are REALLY COLD!

I bet that feels cold.

It is what a guy gets used to. It has been well below zero here, and today it reached 18. I walked out to get the mail and thought it was warm.

Mark

Old 02-10-2004, 02:08 PM
bcwaller
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Duke (and other Californians),

Next timne you contact your representative, ask to discuss the issues in person. I met with Senator Bowen in late December and discussed a few issues, including emissions. I am now on her list of people to call with questions when one particular topic comes up. She even said that had we talked earlier that she would have asked me to come to Sacramento to testify.

When you write your letter and make your phone call, be very rational and professional, make your points, and then ask to discuss in person. It really was not that hard, other than waiting for her schedule to allow a meeting.
Old 02-10-2004, 02:19 PM
bcwaller
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

You guys don't know how cold it has been out here in Southern California. I mean, I almost had to zip up my windbreaker this morning! BRRRRRRR!
Old 02-10-2004, 02:59 PM
Mecom Racer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: California wants C1s and C2s off the road (bcwaller)

You guys don't know how cold it has been out here in Southern California. I mean, I almost had to zip up my windbreaker this morning! BRRRRRRR!
:rolleyes: Must be tough.
Old 02-10-2004, 05:44 PM
VetteJohn
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Re: California wants C1s and C2s off the road (Hib Halverson)

I have a plan:

Someone trace the state line with a stick (this may take a really big stick). Then we'll get a bunch of us to get on the east side of the line, jump up and down until California breaks off and slides into the sea!

:party:

Who knows, it might work.

John
Old 02-10-2004, 08:45 PM
2 Ag R8Cs
Race Director

Location: Retired Suffolk County Police Dept NY South Carolina
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: California wants C1s and C2s off the road (VetteJohn)

I have a plan:

Someone trace the state line with a stick (this may take a really big stick). Then we'll get a bunch of us to get on the east side of the line, jump up and down until California breaks off and slides into the sea!

:party:

Who knows, it might work.

John
Calf could be one of the best states in the USA to live, but the law makers have screwed it up. I can't really knock the state because it is beautiful, its the dam stupid laws that make it suck
Old 02-10-2004, 09:20 PM
58Mike
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Duke (and other Californians),

Next timne you contact your representative, ask to discuss the issues in person. I met with Senator Bowen in late December and discussed a few issues, including emissions. I am now on her list of people to call with questions when one particular topic comes up. She even said that had we talked earlier that she would have asked me to come to Sacramento to testify.

When you write your letter and make your phone call, be very rational and professional, make your points, and then ask to discuss in person. It really was not that hard, other than waiting for her schedule to allow a meeting.
My hat's off to you, Brad! :cheers:

- Mike Greene
Old 02-11-2004, 12:41 AM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,188 Posts

Brad -

If you ever go to talk to Bowen again about emissions you might want to invite me being as how I have some professional credentials in IC engines
and emission control.

A few years ago I had a meeting with one of her staffers when she was in the Assembly, and wrote her an e-mail about SB 708.

Duke

Old 02-15-2004, 03:16 AM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 547 Likes on 315 Posts

Default Re: California wants C1s and C2s off the road (VetteJohn)

Yea, what was it - back around 1971 . ? .. "Better get ready to tie up the boat in Idaho" .. :lol: .. Earthquake speak was making the rounds a lot during that time period .. CA was gonna 'drop off into the ocean' ..
It was so cold here today ya' had to go out in your T-shirt .. ! .. :thumbs:
Old 02-15-2004, 10:53 AM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: California wants C1s and C2s off the road (2 Ag R8Cs)

The biggest danger is the 'domino effect' that the avalanche of California cuckoo legislation has on the other 49 states.
:yesnod: :crazy: :yesnod:
All the other 'progressive' :rolleyes: states can't wait to emulate every single 'stylish' law and trend emanating from that fruit and nut capital of the U.S.--------
:yesnod: :crazy: :yesnod:
IMHO, all our self-appointed 'Fun Police' just can't STAND to see ANYONE enjoying the 'pursuit of happiness'. They are indeed the 'New Puritans' of America.

:yesnod: :lol: :lol: :yesnod:
my opinion-
Old 02-15-2004, 12:18 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Default Re: California wants C1s and C2s off the road (motro)

Hey Motro - you from Frisco, eh? (I'll resist the urge to take a cheap shot, especially after recent events up there. ;) )

You've got a CA Senator up there by the name of "Midgen" or something similar. She's been a big supporter of this coo-coo anti-collector car legislation.

How about throwing her out of office???

Duke
Old 02-15-2004, 03:24 PM
Muttley
Burning Brakes

Received 239 Likes on 178 Posts

Carole Migden? Yeesh, she was a on the SF Board of Supes when I lived there, and she was a nut even by local standards. Who let her become a state senator?
Old 02-15-2004, 07:01 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Default Re: California wants C1s and C2s off the road (Muttley)

I guess the... ahhh... "citizens" of Frisco elected her.

Duke
Old 02-19-2004, 10:48 PM
396 RAT
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: California wants C1s and C2s off the road (GCD1962)

"Reason number 3,442,441 why one should never move to California"

I know! with so many reasons, why do so many keep showing up?
And don't get me started on our stupid firearm laws.......
:banghead:
Old 02-22-2004, 05:24 PM
J Lance Miller
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Duke,
Hib -
SB 708 is ancient history. It was passed, but in a completely emasculated form last spring. ...
That is good to hear, thanks for the update.

I don't respond to many threads and don't visit the forum that often. I have come - like many others - to the conclusion that your opinions carry great value. That you pass factual information rather than myth, superstition or common misconception. I surmise by your written body of work in this community that you are quite likely just as articulate, itelligent and knowledgeable in person.

We need someone like yourself to intelligently articulate our issues. As someone suggested in this thread, contacting Senator Bowen might provide her with just the subject matter expert she needs to defend our hobby.

I nominate you as our spokesman.

Can I get a second and will you consider accepting this undertaking?
Lance
Old 02-22-2004, 09:46 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Default Re: California wants C1s and C2s off the road (J Lance Miller)

We need someone like yourself to intelligently articulate our issues. Lance
The only problem is that no one wants to take me out in public because I look like a slob and drool a lot. Only Bassett Hound owners understand. :crazy:

In all seriousness, whenever faced with such ridiculous legislation as Sen Florez' SB 708, EVERYONE needs to be a spokesman. Of California's 35+ million population I venture to guess that at least one million are serious car guys with vintage cars. Whatever your state of residence, take the time to write an e-mail to your state representatives and send a copy to the sponsoring solon.

Always endeavor to give rational reasons why the legislation is ill-advised and, if possible, offer reasonable alternatives. With e-mail, composing a letter of protest doesn't take that much time, and our elected representatives DO pay attention when a significant number of constiutuents raise objections to proposed legislation.

Duke

[Modified by SWCDuke, 7:01 PM 2/22/2004]

Quick Reply: California wants C1s and C2s off the road