C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

XM Radio-how many have one?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2003, 11:06 AM
REVIVER
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default XM Radio-how many have one?

The wife got me the Roady XM Radio early for Christmas. The radio stations here realy suck! She got tired of hearing me wine about how nice it would be to get a satalite radio for the 67 so she took me to Circuit City and let me pick one out.

This thing is awsome :thumbs:

I had put a 650wt 4 channel Kenwood amp and a set of Kenwood 6x9's in the small boxes in the back and another one in the original spot in the dash. Than a 10" sub in an 8" sub box in the back. It all fit nicely and sounded great without taking up all of the space in the back.

Then I hooked up the XM Radio and man what clearity. The thing ROCKS and now I can check the weatherchannel to see if I need to pull over and put the top up before going over the next hill :thumbs: :cool:

How many others have installed the XM Radio in there's? :flag :flag
Old 12-12-2003, 11:18 AM
4wdvette
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: XM Radio-how many have one? (REVIVER)

I have it in my 2003 GMC Yukon. I really like it a lot. Great selection of channels and you don't have to listen to all the commercials and junk you normally put up with on regular radio stations.
Old 12-12-2003, 11:43 AM
Allcoupedup
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't have the service but I have the stock! :D
Old 12-12-2003, 11:48 AM
Veet 66
Pro

If I told my wife that my radio had bad reception, she would tell me to move to another state. :boxing
Old 12-12-2003, 12:13 PM
JSB69
Burning Brakes

I would have never paid for one on an ordered car but I bought my wife's Escalade from dealer stock with one already in place. I wouldn't have a car without one now and hardly ever play CD's any more. I want one for the house!
Old 12-12-2003, 01:27 PM
Ken99
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I've got one in my Yukon XL also and love it, especially channel 150, the comedy channel.

Ken
Old 12-12-2003, 04:16 PM
MarginalTraction
Instructor

Don't forget the free Roady home kit:
http://www.xmradio.com/roady/homekit.jsp
Old 12-12-2003, 05:15 PM
REVIVER
Racer

Default Re: XM Radio-how many have one? (MarginalTraction)

I already have the form in the mail and even got a $20.00 rebate from Circuit City when I bought it. Only cost me $99.00

Thanks for posting the link for others.

The only problem I had was there is no metal on the body and car is a vert. The antenna is magnetic so I said HHHMMMM. I put it on the speaker grill on the dash and ran the wire down the defrost vent. I works great even with the top up. Most people dont even notice it and the receiver is so small it fits nicely on the mount stuck to the shifter console just in front of the ash tray lid. Finger touch away. I set the background lighting to blue and the interior has a blue cast at night. Looks :cool: agianst the blue exterior. :thumbs: :flag
Old 12-12-2003, 06:33 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Dude, I've got to see it! I've been breakin the bank but hey there is always next year. Hey so you like the blue cast in the interior?? Jer I was in Auto Zone the other day and I saw these cool lighted valve stem caps... HMMM you could be so cool. :lol: :lol: Can't wait to get mine off jackstands... Dave..
Old 12-12-2003, 09:26 PM
REVIVER
Racer

Default Re: XM Radio-how many have one? (youwish2bme)

I got a great idea for where you can put your bling bling valve stems :p:
Dont worry, Im not glowing at the intersections its just when you look in the car. Hey I got another great deal for you Dave, I'll trade you my shifter handle for your tach :yesnod: :flag

Get your motor back yet?
Old 12-12-2003, 09:58 PM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
2015 C2 of Year
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10, '14-'15

Ok...Sounds Good for $99.00.... But what is the monthly cost? Some told me it's like $40.00 a month.. Is this true or is it cheaper?
Old 12-12-2003, 10:21 PM
Cmacsvette
Burning Brakes

We have it in our 03 Yukon, we LOVE IT! Don't dink with CD's much now either. :hurray:

We just bought an 04 Hyundai for a run about and went off and got a new Pioneer XM ready head, XM tuner, some infinity speakers front and back...ooooooh, yaaaaaaa, we'll never be without XM again, that is as long as a meteor doesn't take out the satellite. :lol:
I mounted the tuner in the trunk and mounted the antenna on the trunk. Car is black so that little antenna blends in well. I didn't like the magnet idea or double back tape, so found some real sticky tabs at the fabric/craft store, I mean sticky! You don't get scraches or do you have to dink around with tape.
Their called Glue Dots and no their not glue. They will hold the cat to the ceiling. :D I would not be without these glue dots in the shop.
Craig :cheers:
Old 12-12-2003, 10:39 PM
Cmacsvette
Burning Brakes

Default Re: XM Radio-how many have one? (Viet Nam Vett)

Mark,

It's 9.95 a month or 9.99, what ever and when you want it for the home or another car, it's 6.99 for the add on, so two cars is $17 a month. You can get the one Reviver got and you can use your existing radio. I elected to go to a new radio/head that is XM ready.........super, super, super sound!! :eek:
You can listen to whatever you want, even the weather channel, CNN, you name it, they got it! Yep, were investing in this stock too!
Craig :thumbs:

BTW I can't remember, but either the one Reviver got or it's the other one , Sky something? you can use it in your car and remove it and take it in the house and snap it in the XM boom box and use it there. Now I think you only pay the $10 a month. Go to the C. City or Best Buys, they'll explain it. ;)

[Modified by Cmacsvette, 3:53 AM 12/13/2003]
Old 12-12-2003, 11:45 PM
REVIVER
Racer

Default Re: XM Radio-how many have one? (Cmacsvette)

:iagree:
$9.99 monthly and if you get one before Dec 31 you send in a form you can download and they will send you the home kit for free. I think it normally cost 50 bucks. It comes with another antenna, wire hookups and another stand. Than you can unplug it and pull it out of the rack in the car and snap it in the mount in the house. :cool: :thumbs:

Mine is called the roady by Delphi. It uses a cassett with a wire coming out of it to feed into the radio cassett deck for a diect feed. They also make the version you see in the commercial that the guy pulled out of the car and snaps it in a boom box but its bigger. I like the compact roady version. Its smaller than your wallet- well at least mine and its pretty small.:lol: :flag

[Modified by REVIVER, 4:49 AM 12/13/2003]
Old 12-13-2003, 11:22 AM
Cmacsvette
Burning Brakes

Reviver,

You got the :cool: one with the :cool: back lighting! I didn't care for the other one with just a red back light and your right , it's bigger.

Like were telling you guys "it's totally cool"........jump on this deal! Besides that, we want the stock to go nothing but up, work with me here! :lol: :lol:

BTW, I don't remember the site, but XM junkies have their own forum, just like some other guys I know! Yes, they get as **** as....... or at least me. :lol: You can pick up tons of ideas from these guys, ex. mounting tips, what works and what don't, on and on, also like some other guys I know lol lol,
very interesting to say the least.

good day.......
Old 12-13-2003, 01:01 PM
Loren Smith
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

I've got XM on my truck, and I love it. I want to put it in my 59 Vette, too, but not sure about how to go about it. I want to buy the SecretAudio from Custom Autosound, but I am not sure if you can hook an XM receiver into it. Their website says SecretAudio comes with "Dual RCA preouts" (http://www.customautosound.com/secretaudio.php), but I do not know if this is where you could hook into it. MobilOne hooked up the XM in my truck, so I missed out on the learning curve on that one. I thought I read somewhere else that the USA-1 model from Custom Autosound was XM compatible (it might have been in a fairly recent Vette or Corvette Fever magazine).

Does anyone know if the XM receiver could be hooked into either SecretAudio or USA-1? Could an amp still be run to either of these models, in addition?
Old 12-13-2003, 02:20 PM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
2015 C2 of Year
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10, '14-'15

Cool Craig,
How can I adapt it to a mid year radio??? I'd like to get one to use to all three cars.

The 86 has the tape input ..but the Thunderchicken doesn't. I am going to send mt C2 radio out to be update with solid state guts buy that guy that does conversions so it may be able to update to XM. But could I use the stock midyear with XM?

Get notified of new replies

To XM Radio-how many have one?

Old 12-13-2003, 11:31 PM
Cmacsvette
Burning Brakes

Default Re: XM Radio-how many have one? (Loren59)

Loren59,

I wish I could help kids, but I'm a babe in the woods with this XM stuff too. When we bought the Yukon, it came from the factory with it(no brainer) When I got the little rice car, the radio was not to my standards, so I went to an XM radio dealer and found that they had XM ready radios, again no brainer. So ya buy the radio and the XM tuner, wire it all in and POW!! You can also install an amp and or CD changer into this can of stuff, sweet! They do have the system that Reviver has too, so you don't have to change radios.

I'm going to suggest that you and Mark go to "googles.com and type in XM radio forum....push search. When you get there, hold on, I thought we had a lot to talk about here, wait to you get a load of the XM radio world! :eek: and were just talking radio here :rolleyes:

Mark,
see above. It seems to me, when I was at the store checking this stuff out, that you could buy a piece of equip. to hook up a radio that didn't have a tape, but not sure......After church, go ahead and stop into your local XM dealer, they should know. :cool:

Old 12-14-2003, 09:37 AM
REVIVER
Racer

Default Re: XM Radio-how many have one? (Loren59)

Loren59

There are several ways to connect an XM Radio to your existing system. One is a tape with a wire that you simply pops into the tape deck (that is the one I have). Then there is an FM modulator that connects between your antenna cable, when you turn the XM Radio on it acts as a switch and feeds the input in instead of your FM antenna input. Any day now if not already they are coming out with a transmitter that is built into the power plug that goes into your cigerette lighter. It will take the output from the XM reciever and transmit it on , I believe frequency 107.1-107.3-107.5 or107.7, you just tune the car radio to one of those frequencies that you dont have a radio station in the area using and than select it on the power plug to match and the XM feed is transmitted to the radio direct. They say the cleanest input is the tape deck but they all sound great.

I have noticed background music in songs, that I have been listening to for years, that I never heard before. Its like listening to a new song all over agian. :cool:

How about that capture today :thumbs: :thumbs: :flag :flag :flag :flag
Old 12-14-2003, 10:42 AM
Goodname4ID
Instructor

Which is better??? XM or Sirius

What would be the advantage of one vs the other???

It seems that the two use similar equipment and are both based on the same technology, but is there a difference???

Thanks,
:steering:

Quick Reply: XM Radio-how many have one?