C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Questions on C1 Disassembly

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2003, 10:27 PM
Hyder59
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions on C1 Disassembly

Ok folks, I have started the disassembly process of my '59 and I have a couple of questions. I am sure they have been asked before and if someone has a link that might answer some of the mail on this I would appreciate it.

1. Does anyone know of a good book, or where I could find a shop manual that would discuss disassembly/re-assembly in detail? I have Noland Adams Vol 1 and that is a fantastic book on giving historical information and what is correct and not correct, but is lacking on just what the right way(versus the bubba way. I have to be careful, because I am prone to stupidity during weak moments) is to dis-assemble and begin the restoration process. I also have the AIM manual from Mid-America, but sometimes the pics/drawings just don't convey the whole message.

2. Since I am flying blind so to speak I decided to begin with removing the all the trim. I started with the front grill/headlights. I have removed all of the grill except for the upper trim piece on the mouth. It appears to only have two bolts, but she doesn't want to budge which is weird since all the other pieces came off with relative ease (well as easy as 40 years of crud will let it be, I swear this thing had the holy grail of mud dobber nests in it).

3. I need to remove the body due to a crusty frame. I am open to advice on how I should approach this and what I should/have to remove prior to lifing the body. Right now I am planning on having some friends help me lift the body, will an engine hoist lift it high enough and if so is there a harness available or plans for one? Also if anyone knows of a book/reference for building a body dolly that would be great.

4. One last question for now, I am need to find a good body shop in the Lake County area of Chicago. I went to Vette Fest the other weekend and met with a couple of folks at Corvette City in Highland Park, Il. Anyone know anything about them? the gentleman I spoke with claimed they do it all, but that and $1 will get you a cup of coffee. I was just looking for some background before I go look at their facilities.

thanks in advance

Lee
Old 11-29-2003, 11:21 PM
62fuelie
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Re: Questions on C1 Disassembly (Hyder59)

Lee, The ST12 factory service manual will answer most of your disassembly/assembly questions. This is available from any of the catalog vendors such as Mid America, Corvette Central, etc, or from the NCRS bookstore on line. (ncrs.org). :auto:
Old 11-30-2003, 03:49 AM
59er
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hyder59,

As 62Fuelie mentions, the ST-12 will answer many of your questions.

I suggest that you ask individual questions/posts re items to do with the resto as sometimes the guys (myself included) just don't have the time to go through a list of questions and answer all with any usefull detail.

Firstly, there's a bunch of attaching nuts/rods that attach the top moulding in the grille inlet not just 2 so either I have mis-interpreted your question or you have missed some nuts.

Secondly, John McGraw has recently built a nice body dolly/rotisserie so try him and I'm sure he will give you some hints.

I recently assisted with a body lift of a buddies 62 and we lifted it using the radiator support and deck lid hinges as advised by John McGraw and it worked a treat.

The front of the body needs to come up higher than the highest part of the motor so measure that and the hoist available lift, and you should be able to work out if it will suffice.

We used a mobile gantry with a chain block.

Check out my web pages which may or may not be of assistance.

Good Luck, Mark.
Old 11-30-2003, 10:44 AM
Hyder59
Advanced

Default Re: Questions on C1 Disassembly (59er)

Thanks for the answers, will try and keep my questions shorter next time.

On the upper trim piece I have removed two nuts and can't find any more holding it on but she won't budge. I did see two struts that are mounted on threaded posts, but there aren't any nuts holding the struts on the threaded rod, just corrosion I suppose. That is more than likely my problem. I soaked in WD-40 and will see if that solves it.
Old 11-30-2003, 02:23 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

A couple of suggestions. Buy a couple hundred zip-lock bags and as you remove parts, put them in the bags with the attaching hardware and put a note inside with any details that you think will be informative when you are putting everything back together in 2013. Don't mix the screws/bolts. washers together. If you don't have a digital camera, now is the time to purchase one, and take photos of everything before you remove it from the car. When you start putting the car back together, you will be glad you took plenty of note and photos. Also, put the WD-40 in a secure hiding place where you can never find it and replace it with PB Blaster. Before you go any farther, give EVERY bolt/screw, etc a shot of the PB blaster several days in advance of trying to remove them.
Old 11-30-2003, 02:55 PM
76rich
Instructor

JoesC5 remarks are on the mark. I cannot make this plainer. Bag everything with notes and the order that each item came off. Even though you have the nuts in the bag sometimes you are puzzled later and you will have to put something together 3 or more times. Write a book if you have to. When I pulled my engine a few years ago, I took over 100 pictures and last winter when I took the engine out I went to the computer many times to view and brush up on things. Good luck.
Richard
Old 11-30-2003, 06:06 PM
Larry P
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

I used 4 ratchet cables attached to radiator support and trunk hinges.
I used the trusses in my garage. It make it very easy to drop at your desired pace a little at a time. I did mine alone. You can't use enough bags and labels. Don't throw anything away until your finished. Even if you know you will replace it, You will know what you need.
Good luck
Larry
Old 11-30-2003, 11:09 PM
Hyder59
Advanced

Default Re: Questions on C1 Disassembly (Larry P)

Thanks for the input. I have started a numbering system for everything I take off. Right now, I put a piece of tape on the part, number it and then write it in a journal, but I have an old computer I am going to stuff in the garage that has excell on it. baggies are on my list. Thank God the wife has a digital cam corder and she will even let me use it, until the first bit of grease gets on it.

What is PB blaster? I have never heard of it. Is this available at an auto parts store or do I need to search elsewhere? I agree WD40 is not the best stuff, especially when dealing with the corrosion I have.

Thanks for the knowledge-Lee
Old 12-01-2003, 02:46 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

All the chain auto parts stores in our area have PB Blaster - best penetrant around these days. Another help is to make notes in your Assembly Manual (you have one, right?) about each fastener as you remove them for size, finish, etc. so you know exactly which one goes where and what they look like - you won't remember those details when the time comes to start putting it back together. Here's a link to an outfit that sells plastic zip-top bags with a white area to write on that are LOTS cheaper than buying Zip-Loc bags at the grocery store.

http://www.bradleybag.com

:cheers:
Old 12-02-2003, 07:08 PM
Loren Smith
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Default Re: Questions on C1 Disassembly (JohnZ)

I just took apart my 59 for a frame-off. Have not put it back together. But I would recommend two resources as a must for a 59:

1. Noland Adams "Body Lift and Chassis Disassembly" Video. It comes with a Body Lift Workbook, that has the plans for a body dolly you can make on your own. See also: http://www.noid.org/~muttvette/BodyDolly.html ; http://members.tripod.com/Heelandtoe/bodylift.html

2. "Road to Top Flight", by Paul Iaffaldano - he goes through a step by step restoration of, coincidentely, a 59 Vette! Lots of pictures, too.

[Modified by Loren59, 12:09 AM 12/3/2003]
Old 12-02-2003, 09:31 PM
CHEV66JB
Advanced

Default Re: Questions on C1 Disassembly (Loren59)

Lee,

Shoot an email to the guys on the '59 Corvette Registry- I'm sure alot of them have felt your pain and can provide you with some great advice. Here's the link in case you need it:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jbiii/59_owners.htm

Regards,

Jim (CHEV66JB)

Get notified of new replies

To Questions on C1 Disassembly

Quick Reply: Questions on C1 Disassembly