C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

New headlight motor??

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 04:01 PM
mogulmike
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New headlight motor??

It's now happened two times in a row so I wondering if this is a symptom. My belief about electronics is either it works or it dosen't and there is no warning when it dosen't.

My head lights go up just fine, although the pass side has alwyas been a bit slower. When I go to put them down the pass side gets stuck half way. I can still raise it and then the second time it will go down all the way. What do you guys think? Any tricks on how to nail this one down?

Mike
Old 10-27-2003, 04:13 PM
BayRay
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: New headlight motor?? (mogulmike)

Mine did the same thing. I took it apart and found the gear was worn out, (40 bucks from Ecklers), and the brushes were coated with an oil film. I replaced the gear and seat the backlash, put it all back together and it still was slow and usuall stop halfway or in the up position. Took it back apart and found the brushes were again coated with an oil film. I didn't get the armature and brushes clean of all the oil film, so as the armature rotated, it spread the oil film on the brushes again. After a thorough cleaning this time, the motor works like a champ. Both headlights spin up fast and never hang up.

When you have the motor out, check to see if your bucket rotates freely by hand. It should pivot up and down very easy. If it binds, then you need to look at the pivot assemblies.

BayRay

Quick Reply: New headlight motor??