C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Question re: Astronauts and Corvettes

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 08:44 AM
C6Matt
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

wow, awsome you were able to get it after all that time.. cool piece of history!
Old 03-16-2012, 07:52 PM
MarkL36
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jhc119
Two weeks ago i bought neil armstrong's 1967 coupe. I had found the car in 1979 but the owner would not sell. He put it in his basement garage in sept. 1981 and it stayed there in the heat and a/c for the next 31 years. I had kept in touch with him a couple of times a year and out of the blue two weeks ago he called and said he was ready to sell. The car is the ultimate corvette barn find. Everything is with the car, even the warranty book with neil armstrong's name and address on the protect-o-plate. The car has all the original equipment, 427 390 hp, a/c, electronic ignition. It took a long time but i have a piece of history. The astronauts will be here at the cape mid april and nasa is trying to set something up so armstrong and the rest of them can visit the car. Jim rathman chevrolet in melbourne fl. Provided them with a new vette every year for the $1.00 fee. The person i bought the car from bought it the day after armstrong turned it in.
You just hit the lottery! Im jealous! Congrats, please post pics.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:20 AM
vettejack
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default The guy in the middle...Dick Gordon...

on the Apollo 12 photos of the three Astronauts sitting on their Vettes, was here at KSC about 6 weeks ago, with John Glenn, and I got both to sign the fuel rail covers on my C6, and I'll include photos under the 'C6 Corvette Convertible Gallery'.

As far Joe Crosby's car, the 67 BB of Neil Armstrong, now has photos posted (awaiting approval) under the 'C2 Corvette Coupe Gallery'.

Last edited by vettejack; 03-22-2012 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Additional information added
Old 04-07-2012, 01:10 AM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts

Originally Posted by jhc119
Two weeks ago i bought neil armstrong's 1967 coupe. I had found the car in 1979 but the owner would not sell. He put it in his basement garage in sept. 1981 and it stayed there in the heat and a/c for the next 31 years. I had kept in touch with him a couple of times a year and out of the blue two weeks ago he called and said he was ready to sell. The car is the ultimate corvette barn find. Everything is with the car, even the warranty book with neil armstrong's name and address on the protect-o-plate. The car has all the original equipment, 427 390 hp, a/c, electronic ignition. It took along time but i have a piece of history. The astronauts will be here at the cape mid april and nasa is trying to set something up so armstrong and the rest of them can visit the car. Jim rathman chevrolet in melbourne fl. Provided them with a new vette every year for the $1.00 fee. The person i bought the car from bought it the day after
armstrong turned it in.

Incredible purchase. WTG!

Another astronaut related thread of interest...
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=2830111
Old 04-07-2012, 02:20 AM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Originally Posted by 67L36Driver
"They were on a hunting trip in central texas, and there are deer tied to the hoods of the cars. "
Normaly I lay the deer across the rear deck with legs pointing forward, tie rope from legs to conv. top frame hinge. Maybe I should get a luggage rack.
Ya it was the macho thing to strap it to the hood. If it was Central Texas in the 60s? You can bet it was a tiny whitetail.

They are much bigger now days.

In south Texas they are HUGE!

My dad has a bunch of hunting pics from that era. All on the hood!

People were proud to show their kill.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:34 AM
gilbybarr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,887 Likes on 794 Posts

Great find....we need some pics! My '65 also was purchased at Jim Rathmann's Chevy dealership in FLA......Sept. '65. First owner wasnt an Astronaut though! Just an engineer for GE who worked on secret underwater weapons on Andros Island, the Bahamas....he had the car on the Island for a number of years.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:21 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,315 Posts

The connection between the Corvette and the NASA astronauts, seems to have started as early as 1962. The cover below is from the 1962 Corvette News Volume 5, Number 1. It shows Alan Shepard with a 62 Corvette Fuelie.

The car has a couple of interesting deviations from production, including the dual stripe white wall tires, black paint behind the spinners on the wheel covers and no black paint between the ribs of the rocker moldings.

Quick Reply: Question re: Astronauts and Corvettes