C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Major differences between 58-62 Vettes, Gonna build one for the Mrs.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 05:17 PM
vethead
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Major differences between 58-62 Vettes, Gonna build one for the Mrs.

Howdy from a C3 guy. I have a 78 Vette that I am rebuilding, but my wife wants me to build her a 58-62 Vette. Hope this doesn't sound like to lame a question, but what are some of the major difference between the 58-62 Vettes? I am not planning on building a numbers matching car, so I don't really care about engine size changes or output, I just plan on building her a real nice one she can drive and show on occasion. I know I could just read through a bunch of my Vette books, but I figured you guys are the pros, and could give me a real good idea of the differences. I know you all have your favorite, but are there bugs in certain years that were fixed later, or things that just worked well in the earlier ones in that time frame that GM screwed up on the later ones? Hope that made sense. I am just looking to be able to narrow down my search to one specific year of Vette from that time frame, or at least determine if 2 years were the same. It may just be that there were only minor interior trim changes that occurred during that time. Like I said engine doesn't matter since I will probably go late model, or build one from scratch. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
Old 10-13-2003, 05:37 PM
clcintx
Instructor

Default Re: Major differences between 58-62 Vettes, Gonna build one for the Mrs. (vethead)

The main differences to me were the rear ends of the cars prior to 61
and rear ends of 61 and 62

The 58's had a fake louvered hood, but 59 and 60 is nearly identical to 58. The 62's were ony offered solid color (no colored coves) - to me the rest was all under the hood stuff or minor, i'm sure the guys will have more input on this - thought i'd give you a girls point of view since it's for your wife.

[Modified by clcintx, 4:44 PM 10/13/2003]
Old 10-13-2003, 05:43 PM
vethead
Drifting

Default Re: Major differences between 58-62 Vettes, Gonna build one for the Mrs. (clcintx)

Thanks for the info about the rear ends. I had forgotten there were differences. I knew that front end changed, but totally forgot the rear.
Old 10-13-2003, 06:11 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,766 Likes on 1,669 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Default Re: Major differences between 58-62 Vettes, Gonna build one for the Mrs. (vethead)

I don't have a clue what the im, onload, click stuff is, so I can't help you there. But, as mentioned, the most NOTICEABLE visual difference is the back end of the 61-62. If it is a "correct" term, the 61-62 is a "transition" body. That is, it has the early front end and the later Stingray style rear end. Although, the 62 is the last of the C1 series. Another very noticeable feature is the grill. Up through 60, all Vettes have grill teeth, the 61-2 grills only have the center bar and no teeth. As far as IMMEDIATELY noticeable features between the 58 body and the 62 body, those are the 2 most visible features. There are numerous more which the more knowledgeable early Corvette fan will notice. I will quickly point out a few.
The 58: imitation louvers across the back half of the hood, 2 chrome bars running the length of the trunk lid, oval shaped exhaust outlets in the rear bumpers, wheel covers DO NOT have slots, chrome trim around the cove area (some 56-61 cars have the cove painted a contrasting color), ALL 58 engines were a 283, 58 was the first year for dual headlights (53-57 had single headlights).
The 62: Wheel covers are the same as the 58 wheel covers, but have slots or openings around the perimeter of the cover, NO molding around the cove, thus no 62s had a contrasting color in the cove area, the center line of the trunk has a raised divider, ALL 62 engines were a 327 (first year for a 327).

The above are just a FEW of the differences between the 58 and 62, there are many more, but it was my understanding that you just wanted to know the MAJOR differences. We can give 8 bazillion differences if you need them. As far as handling, driving characteristics, suspension, etc, they are basically identical. From the initial outward appearance, the 58-60 are nearly identical. The 61-62 are nearly identical, except the 61 has the chrome molding around the cove area (thus, some 61s had the cove painted a contrasting color).
Many people prefer the 62 because it was the end of the C1 and the first year for the more powerful 327 engine.
Many people prefer the 60-earlier because it has the more classic appearance.
The pictures above give you an excellent comparrison of the 60-earlier and 61-2 differences in the rear.
You choose.

[Modified by DZAUTO, 5:14 PM 10/13/2003]
Old 10-13-2003, 06:55 PM
vethead
Drifting

Default Re: Major differences between 58-62 Vettes, Gonna build one for the Mrs. (DZAUTO)

That is a lot of what I was looking for. You were correct, I was just curious about major differences. Things like a different door handle don't really concern me, or a different style radio, but the big cosmetic change info is great. I will now have something to point out to my wife when we look at the cars and I can point out the differences so she can decide. I get to restore another Vette, that is all that concerns me. :cheers:

[Modified by vethead, 3:57 PM 10/13/2003]
Old 10-13-2003, 07:10 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

vethead,

One item that may concern your wife is the 61/62 trunk is a lot larger than the earlier versions. Still not very tall though.

It has also been stated that each year had "refinements", and therefore the 61/62's were the most refined (that can mean a lot, or absolutly nothing depending on your point of view). They all have kingpin front ends and drum brakes. The later models (added in either 61 or 62 have rear end radius rods, but since they don't do a heck of alot, it really does not matter). Also, the later versions came with rear anti-sway bars (same basic comment as for the radius rods - not all that effective or noticable).

What may make another difference is availability (they produced more 62s than previous years, so they may be easier to find).

Good luck in your search. Just reccommend you purchase a "sound" Vette (good frame, etc.), with most of the "little" things in good shape (otherwise, the costs will eat you alive).

Plasticman
Old 10-13-2003, 11:59 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Default Re: Major differences between 58-62 Vettes, Gonna build one for the Mrs. (Plasticman)

The rear radius rods (factory traction bars) were added in 59, and the rear sway bar was added in 60. Also, in 60, the front sway bar was changed from a jogged to a straight bar and became thicker (same thickness as the 57-59 HD bar). As a result, the 60-62 chassis-suspension-steering are ALL the same. When these additional changes occured in 60, the HD brakes and suspension option went away, leaving only the HD brakes and steering (the steering part was the fast steering adapter attached to the center steering arm). And the price for the HD brake option dropped from $425 to $333 (because all the HD suspension items were now incorporated as standard equip). (although, many racers bought and installed the 57-9 style HD front/rear springs for their 60-62 cars)
Old 10-14-2003, 12:40 PM
wallyknoch
Pro

The 1962 being the last year of this group also was the cleanest, lack of several chrome and stainless bright parts compaired to the 61 down. The 62`s were also only available in solid colors, no two tones.:cheers:

[Modified by wallyknoch, 5:01 PM 10/14/2003]
Old 10-14-2003, 12:57 PM
62fuelie
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The 58 has a lot of one year only features that are very expensive to replace, including most of the interior components. For this reason, I would avoid 58's since you seem to want to build a driver. The suspension changes on the later cars are of some value, so you might want to concentrate your search on these models. Not to say of course that a deal on an earlier car should be ignored. :auto:
Old 10-14-2003, 01:43 PM
58Mike
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Re: Major differences between 58-62 Vettes, Gonna build one for the Mrs. (62fuelie)

I got my '58 because I love the chrome trunk strips. But as Ed (62Fuelie) said, parts like those and some other one-year-only parts can be expensive and hard to find. I paid $700 for the trunk strips and it took months to find them!

Something I don't think has been mentioned yet is that the headlight bezels are chromed for '58-'60, but painted for '61-'62.

A gotcha with the '62s are those cove inserts. They're also 1-year-only and expensive if your car doesn't have them.

That louvered hood ('58 only) was a royal PIA to paint incidently. I just finished the final wet-sanding and buffing yesterday on mine. It was a LOT more work than the smoother '59-'62 hoods would be! FWIW

- Mike Greene
Old 10-14-2003, 03:24 PM
K2
Melting Slicks

Received 130 Likes on 63 Posts

Default Re: Major differences between 58-62 Vettes, Gonna build one for the Mrs. (58Mike)

Each year there were refinements made to the chassis and body. A few mechanical differences that came about in 61 are; Aluminum radiator became standard, aluminum transmission case, viscous drive fan clutch, as mentioned about 20% more trunk space, & transmission tunnel width reduction by about 20% gave more foot and leg room. All fairly minor subtle changes but refinements just the same. They are all great cars, very basic, easy to work on, and reliable. :cheers:
Old 10-14-2003, 04:41 PM
Birdball
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Major differences between 58-62 Vettes, Gonna build one for the Mrs. (K2)

So does that mean that you could drop, say, a 54 body on a 62 frame? Basically is that stuff interchangable? My wife wants one too!!

Old 10-14-2003, 09:34 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Default Re: Major differences between 58-62 Vettes, Gonna build one for the Mrs. (Birdball)

yes, you can drop a 54 body onto a 62 frame.
Old 10-15-2003, 09:26 AM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 454 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Vethead:

Not trying to throw cold water on your project, but just wondering if your wife has driven a C1. My wife is a real "car person" and she did not like to drive my "correct" '62. She claimed it had no brakes and was difficult to steer, which of course it is when the car is not at speed. Since you are not building a "numbers" car anyway, perhaps you should consider the frame conversion route where you can have the best of two worlds - a classic C1 body with a modern engine, transmission, 4 wheel disc brakes, and power rack and pinion steering. My wife and I completed her car (a frame conversion '62) last year and we have put almost 12,000 miles on it with no problems.

Charles
Old 10-15-2003, 10:52 AM
Solid327
Racer

See if you can find a dealer that has a C1 your wife could test drive. Women love the way they look but most don't care to drive them. Kinda like a Harley in that respect.

The C1 drives great if everything is tight and right, BUT keep in mind that the suspension is early 50's design and technology, with "no power anything". In my opinion, this is a man's car. I'm sure I'll be called a chauvinist for that statement but like I said it's an "opinion".

The mechanical steering with a pitman arm and a third arm system makes the C1 harder to turn when going slow, thus difficult to park. Big drums all around, (read that: No anti-lock disc brakes) require all of your attention if the need for a quick stop arises. No tailgating!! That alone disqualifies most SUV lady "pilots" from driving a C1, since tailgating is a habit most seem to have. In addition, most C1's have standard shift trannys and fairly stout clutches. It can get tiring in a traffic situation. A powerglide automatic or lighter clutch assembly would solve this problem though.

If your wife likes the way they drive and can handle one, more power to her! Just pick the year you like and go for it.
Old 10-15-2003, 12:10 PM
66427-450
Safety Car

Received 436 Likes on 317 Posts

Default Re: Major differences between 58-62 Vettes, Gonna build one for the Mrs. (Solid327)

See if you can find a dealer that has a C1 your wife could test drive. Women love the way they look but most don't care to drive them.......
I agree with that 100%. If you're accustom to driving a C-4 or 5, a Lexus, or whatever, it can be quite a shock.

I recall one of X's after a test drive, she was crying in disappointment (based on difficulties in operation of the clutch, trans, brakes, steering) I ended up getting her a Z-28.

[Modified by 66427-450, 12:35 PM 10/15/2003]
Old 10-15-2003, 12:16 PM
vethead
Drifting

Default Re: Major differences between 58-62 Vettes, Gonna build one for the Mrs. (Solid327)

Thanks everyone for the replies, they have been extremely helpful. cbernhardt and Solid327 you have both addressed issues I have thought of. My plans were a modern suspension and drivetrain. My wife likes to drive, so what better than something like a late model LS-1 with a six speed squeezed into the car. That is just one of the ideas, but it shows how I would like to build the car. Of course a disk brake set-up on all four corners. The look we were going for is an original looking car on the outside and in the interior, with modern vehicle components underneath. I had thought about the late model chassis swap, but I had not received feedback from somebody who did that, and I figured the cost would be extreme, but I might be surprised. cbernhardt if you would let me know how you like the new chassis, and any other things like cost, I would really love to hear it. Email me at vethead@whidbey.net if you want, or just let me know here. Thanks again everyone. It is nice to see the C1 guys will play friendly with a current C3 guy :jester

Get notified of new replies

To Major differences between 58-62 Vettes, Gonna build one for the Mrs.

Old 10-15-2003, 01:03 PM
Subfixer
POSSE ZR-1 Driver
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 104 Likes on 67 Posts

Now that you've narrowed down the use of the car, check out Rich's 62 for some ideas: http://www.corvetteforum.net/c5/richs7/.
Old 10-15-2003, 01:07 PM
Solid327
Racer

My plans were a modern suspension and drivetrain.
In my opinion, the best way to accomplish this is with a Car Creations, Paul Newman chassis. He starts with a stock frame and then modifies it to accept C4 running gear. You are then free to install the engine of your choice. No one does this better. I can't advise you of the projects' costs. It will depend on how far you want to take it and how much assembly, etc. you can do yourself.

Stay away from the tube chassis conversions, they just don't sit totally right to my eye.

Rich Lagasse, a CF member has a full-on show car powered by a Z-06. To say it's awesome would be an understatement and he drives it! http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c5/richs7/index6.shtml

At Carlisle this summer, I saw a beautiful 1961 or 62 concours build that was inspired by Rich's car, and powered with a late gen Corvette engine. I also saw a 58 that had been done to appear as stock as possible from the outside and the interior. It also had a late gen Corvette engine under the hood. Three different approaches to the same end and all crafted carefully and with quality. If your budget will allow for it I'd take a look at this approach of blending old with new.
Old 10-15-2003, 01:40 PM
vethead
Drifting

I have looked into Car Creations before, they seem like they would do a great job if I go that far, which I very well might. The first thing is to get the wife to decide which year she wants to start with. It is now between a 59-61, But that still leave a wide variey in style. Well at elast a couple years have been ruled out. She likes the non-louvered hood better so that gets rid of the 58, and she wants the contrasting painted side coves, so that eliminates the 62.

Quick Reply: Major differences between 58-62 Vettes, Gonna build one for the Mrs.