C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

How do you get seat belt out of the plastic pocket??

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 12:41 PM
BayRay
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you get seat belt out of the plastic pocket??

My 65 Coupe seatbelt pockets are pretty torn up. I want to replace the pockets, but can't seem to get the seat belt out of the pocket. Granted I could cut the plastic off, but still would have the problem of getting the belt through the new pocket. The only way I see it is to cut the belt webbing stitches, feed the belt through the pocket then have the chrome end sewn back on. Any ideas??? :confused:

Along the same lines, I see in late 66 they went to a shorter style boot. It looks easier to feed the belt through from the pictures. I think 65 and 66 saddle interiors are the same color. I would be willing to go with the shorter style. Has any replaced the long boot with the shorter ones?? Will they fit my 65 seat belts?

Thanks
BayRay
Old 10-13-2003, 01:23 PM
soppeng
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: How do you get seat belt out of the plastic pocket?? (BayRay)

I've got a 65 coupe with the vinyl seat belt boot in bad condition, so I've been interested in previous posts on this subject. I haven't tried it yet, but my understanding is that you need to heat up the vinyl boot so that you can force the seat belt hardware out or in, depending on removal or installation of a new boot.
Old 10-13-2003, 01:28 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 740 Likes on 460 Posts

Default Re: How do you get seat belt out of the plastic pocket?? (BayRay)

BayRay

Did this last summer. Tie some good strong twine onto the triangular piece that bolts to the frame. Leave the boots out in the sun to soften them up. Reach up through the bottom of the boot with a coat hanger hook to catch your twine (or just use the hanger to pull the belt through but the twine is probaly safer). You can apply a little dish soap if you need to. Give a good tug and you can pull the fixture through the boot. Warming it up is key to stretching the plastic! Be sure to orient it the way you want with respect to the label before pulling it through.

Good luck
DZ

PS: To get it out, warm it up, grab the belt while holding the lower end of the boot and pull. Had to do this with one new one as I didn't follow the advice above about orienting the belt before pulling it through. Live and learn as they say.

[Modified by DZVette, 12:32 PM 10/13/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To How do you get seat belt out of the plastic pocket??

Quick Reply: How do you get seat belt out of the plastic pocket??