C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

new trailing arm..new vibration

Old 04-21-2011, 04:49 PM
MidYearRoadster
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

Default new trailing arm..new vibration

I installed one new trailing arm assembly today..and the other perhaps tomorrow. after I was done I took the car for a ride and felt a new vibration at around 50=60 mph...lower speeds..fine...higher speed fine...but right in that area I can feel a drone type of vibration under my feet and seat.... The assembly was all new and complete, I used the same shims that were in the original set up. I am just puzzled as to why I have this slight vibration now...any thoughts????
Old 04-21-2011, 05:08 PM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,326 Likes on 958 Posts

Default Rotor

Did the new trailing arm and assembly come with an indexed rotor? If not, there may be a mismatch between the rotor and the spindle assembly. When I put rotors on the back, I use a dial indicator to check for runout. I aim for .003 or lower. Indexing the rotor can also help. Last resort fix is to add shim stock on the hub. Hopefully maybe you only have an unbalanced tire. Jerry
Old 04-21-2011, 05:13 PM
MidYearRoadster
Melting Slicks

it came all together with rotors attatched and set to go, tires were balanced and didnt vibrate before the install. One thing that might be of concern is that I used the old shims in front, and thinking that perhaps the new arm might be different from the old one as far as thickness ? I am going to have the car alligned next week after I install the other side.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:26 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Did you play with the half shaft universals?
Old 04-21-2011, 07:04 PM
MidYearRoadster
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
Did you play with the half shaft universals?
I left the half shaft in place, just unbolted it from the trailing arm then installed the new assembly...
Old 04-21-2011, 07:14 PM
Jackfit
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 408 Likes on 262 Posts

Default May need alignment first

Originally Posted by MidYearRoadster
it came all together with rotors attatched and set to go, tires were balanced and didn't vibrate before the install. One thing that might be of concern is that I used the old shims in front, and thinking that perhaps the new arm might be different from the old one as far as thickness ? I am going to have the car aligned next week after I install the other side.
I think you have to hold off on the vib until you have the car aligned . They should look at the shims / need more or moved around, when they align the rear. Bud's did this when I needed rear alignment in Ohio on my trip.

If it is still there after, well, what else is new about doing your own work on the car. Right? works fine until we think it needs to be fixed.

Jack
Old 04-21-2011, 07:40 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Who did you get your trailing arm assemblies from?
Old 04-21-2011, 07:46 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 427 Likes on 317 Posts

With a new T-Arm, even though you may have installed the old shims exactly the same, invariably, the alignment has probably changed. You should install the other new T-Arm and then re-check the rear toe in on each side and total toe in.
My guess is you need to get the rear end aligned again. Pilot Dan

Get notified of new replies

To new trailing arm..new vibration

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: new trailing arm..new vibration