C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Show me your alternator/AC compressor locations

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 12:33 PM
GregP
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Show me your alternator/AC compressor locations

Time to figure out where to install the alternator and AC for the project. Main issue is finding something compatible with the engine plate, and that is no higher than the rocker covers to clear the hood.

Anyone with pictures of ahead-of-the-heads alternator and AC installations I would like to see the location and what brackets your using. AC probably needs to be aftermarket with the small Sanyo comressors, I'm sure I can't fit the old style black log compressor.

Thanks - Greg
Old 09-30-2003, 01:06 PM
bcwaller
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Default Re: Show me your alternator/AC compressor locations (GregP)

You mean bolt to the head mounts? You might want to try the C3 forum where they all have heads that have accessory bolt holes. I'll check to see what pictures I might have, but I think they will all be for the old style mounting.
Old 09-30-2003, 01:16 PM
GregP
Drifting

Default Re: Show me your alternator/AC compressor locations (bcwaller)

They don't have to bolt to the heads (although mine do have bolt holes), but the body of the alt/AC must be located in front of the heads. Any lower and they would interfere with the motor plate. Any higher and they would hit the hood. It could be "wider" than the heads though and that could work too.

http://www.corvetteforum.net/classic.../im003356a.jpg

Can't get this stupid software to include the picture instead of a link to it, sorry.

[Modified by GregP, 1:25 PM 9/30/2003]

[Modified by GregP, 1:26 PM 9/30/2003]

[Modified by GregP, 1:27 PM 9/30/2003]
Old 09-30-2003, 02:48 PM
Birdball
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greg- check out http://www.detroitspeed.com, they have a pretty neat "front runner" system that they run on the 69 Camaro's. Its really slick and petite...

Matt
Old 09-30-2003, 02:53 PM
GregP
Drifting

Default Re: Show me your alternator/AC compressor locations (Birdball)

Matt-

The front runner is by Vintage Air and is one possible option (March pullies has a similar unit too). I have an e-mail in to them to ask if they have ever installed one with a motor plate application. It is nice but pricy at $1k for just the brackets.

Thanks - Greg
Old 09-30-2003, 08:31 PM
bcwaller
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I thought I had some "before" pictures, but they are all after I pulled the alternator. The Corvette had the long skinny bracket that bolted the water pump, with the lower mounting to the headers, I think. I might be able to take pictures of the bracketry sitting on the garage floor...

I'll check my Chevelle, but I think I have the early 70's style mount that has a top mount that bolts to the water pump and intake, with the lower using the heads.
Old 10-01-2003, 01:04 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Default Re: Show me your alternator/AC compressor locations (bcwaller)

Greg - Here's a photo of the accessory drive setup I developed for my Grand Sport; it's based on the brackets that Vintage Air has (can't remember the guy's name who makes them, but they're a hot-rod item). It's a Sanden compressor, standard alternator, and a GM mini-power steering pump from a Cavalier or S-10 truck with a Speedway Motors remote reservoir. I couldn't mount the power steering pump in the usual location due to pulley interference with the steering shaft to the Appleton sprint car power rack, so I mounted it on the front of the driver's side cylinder head with a Moroso sprint-car mounting bracket, and had Street & Performance custom-make the 3-groove water pump pulley that drove it from my drawings. Setup worked great, no problems. Sorry about the grainy pic - it's the only scan I have of the old color photos (before I went digital).

:steering:

[Modified by JohnZ, 1:05 PM 10/1/2003]
Old 10-01-2003, 01:25 PM
GregP
Drifting

Default Re: Show me your alternator/AC compressor locations (JohnZ)

Thanks John. I've seen a couple of the "side of the valve cover" mounts, but they always have the outlet fittings pointing up (like yours shows) and I can't have anything taller than the top of the valve cover or it will hit the hood. I have to look into whether I can "clock" the AC compressor or not to move the outlets to the outside. I also need to get some AC dimensions and see if I have enough room on the side without hitting the forward legs of the roll cage. I'd need to also re-fab the side mountng bracket, as the exhaust bolt holes are different with my spread port heads. (Never is easy, is it?)

I have found an alternator mount designed for motor plate installations, but I need to see if I can move it to the right side as like you I have the shaft to the steering rack in the way on the left. Wonder if I can find a way to put both the AC and alternator on the right side, probably each with it's own belt???

I've heard back from both Vintage Air and March and I think I could make either of their "front runner" sytle systems work, the Vintage Air is probably a little easier. Just need to get over the sticker shock (and relocate my remote thermostat housing).

-Greg

Get notified of new replies

To Show me your alternator/AC compressor locations

Quick Reply: Show me your alternator/AC compressor locations