C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

AfterMarket front Suspension for C1

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2003, 07:11 PM
61 Vette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AfterMarket front Suspension for C1

Through a previous post another member states he has a TCI (Total Cost Involved) front suspension. I'm thinking of buying it but would like some input from this forum as to the driving characteristics of the cars that have had TCI, or Newer Vette or any other front suspension conversions.

The rear end will remain with new leaf springs, poly bushings etc.
This is NOT a #'s car but a nice driver. I realize it will still probably or possibly detract from the overall value to some purists. I would like to put a 5 Speed in also @ some later date.

The quandry is my front end is used but still nice and tight on the highway, I just would like a little better brakes and cornering, I'd thought about this for a later date when my front end needed a rebuild but the opportunity is here.

Thanks for the input.

[Modified by 61 Vette, 6:14 PM 5/24/2003]
Old 05-24-2003, 07:19 PM
62fuelie
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: AfterMarket front Suspension for C1 (61 Vette)

If your car drives good now, you may not see a whole lot of difference. The steering would be the big issue. I assume this rig has a rack and pinion steering setup??? That involves its own set of problems.
Disc brakes are pretty easy to retrofit and it is an entirely reversable, bolt on proceedure.

If you ae going to go the complete street rod routine with late model frame/suspension, then by all means go for it.
Old 05-24-2003, 09:41 PM
61 Vette
Advanced

Default Re: AfterMarket front Suspension for C1 (62fuelie)

It would have manual rack & pinion steering, 2'' dropped spindles, tubular A-arms and Wilwood 11" brakes. I still want a "comfortable" ride but a little more responsive.
Old 05-24-2003, 10:38 PM
62fuelie
Melting Slicks

The whole problem with a R&P on a C1 is that you have to chop up the steering column. On a 61, you are also going to lose your S/N tag. You can actually go with a PS setup by using an electric pump concealed under the fender, or beside the frame. Otherwise, you have to stick with manual or change the engine mounting system.
Old 05-25-2003, 12:03 AM
61 Vette
Advanced

Default Re: AfterMarket front Suspension for C1 (62fuelie)

Actually on this set up, I understand the steering post is cut off past the VIN mounting tag, however there is a spare column with this set. I could keep mine intact.
Old 05-25-2003, 02:20 AM
62fuelie
Melting Slicks

That would make things a lot easier.
Old 05-25-2003, 10:49 AM
Viking427
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cranes Corvettes offers a ram style (like C2/C3) Power Steering kit that mounts a small racing style pump on the front of the motor. http://www.cranescorvette.com/corvet...em_1956-62.htm
Its not R&P, but it would help the steering effort which is the C1's biggest complaint.
There are several outfits offering bolt-on disk brake kits for C1s. Most use the GM large single piston calipers for fronts and single piston Cadillac calipers (with integral e-brake) on the rear.
Old 05-25-2003, 06:08 PM
david h
Instructor

You can use a power rack and pinion with the TCI Assembly but shouldn't be necessary according to TCI. I have had several C-1's and as long as the suspension and steering were in good shape and greased the steering effort wasn't bad at all. I also used a smaller steering wheel in my vettes.
The front brakes do most of the work so rear discs would have little effect if any on braking.Would cost considerably more but be cosmetically more pleasing.
David_H
Old 05-27-2003, 01:10 AM
61 Vette
Advanced

Default Re: AfterMarket front Suspension for C1 (david h)

David,
Power steering is not really a concern for me. No need to parallel park here.
Just better ride or at least as comfortable ride as stock, better handling and "on center" steering feel and control. Do you or any other forum members know what the approximate weight savings would be? To start with how much does a stock C1 Drum to Drum and crossmember weigh?
I would think the TCI or similar kit couldn't weigh much more than a 100 lbs or so, is that about right. Thanks in advance.

:confused: :steering:
Old 05-27-2003, 09:25 AM
INMYBLOOD
Le Mans Master

Location: The problem is all inside your head she said to me.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have also dreamed of a modern front end. My main concern would be saftey. I just get scared thinking something will let go and cause a crash. Either on the road or at 105 mph down the drags. Improved ride and brakes would also be something I would hope comes out of such an investment. I love the picture of this car although I'm not sure it not just a little low.

It came form this web site. http://www.progressiveautomotive.com/street.htm
Old 05-27-2003, 09:52 AM
david h
Instructor

The TCI Crossmember is relatively light, somewhere in the range of 35lbs as I recall. The whole kit came in five boxes buy UPS. It is probably quite a bit lighter than the original suspension but I would be only guessing if I said how much. With the upgrade brake kit (Polished Aluminum Wilwood Calipers and 11"Granada rotors drilled for Chevy pattern ) it saves some more weight also.
David_H
Old 05-27-2003, 12:42 PM
kenmo
Le Mans Master

Received 107 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Re: AfterMarket front Suspension for C1 (INMYBLOOD)

Is the progressive unit a bolt-in or weld-on ?
Old 05-27-2003, 12:55 PM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 454 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

To start with how much does a stock C1 Drum to Drum and crossmember weigh?
The front suspension from my '62 weighed 226#. That includes everything from the drag link to the brake drums but not the steering box.
Trivia answer - the front suspension from a C4, including steering rack, weighs 184#
Old 05-27-2003, 06:14 PM
david h
Instructor

Default Re: AfterMarket front Suspension for C1 (kenmo)

I have never heard of a progressive front suspension system for the Vette??? The Jim Meyer suspension bolts in place but still requires some welding afterward plus all the steering and brake hook up. It is also considerably more expensive than any other kit on the market.
The rack and pinion steering is quite a bit lighter than the standard steering box.
David_H
Old 05-30-2003, 06:08 PM
david h
Instructor

Default Re: AfterMarket front Suspension for C1 (david h)

Another consideration when using an aftermarket suspension is that the crossmember interferes with the front motor mounts, so side mounts would be needed also. This would require that you use stock ramhorn manifolds or headers other than c-1 type, like 63-82 style headers to clear the side mounts.
David_H

Get notified of new replies

To AfterMarket front Suspension for C1

Quick Reply: AfterMarket front Suspension for C1