C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Convertible soft top questions---

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2003, 02:12 AM
Kurt G.
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertible soft top questions---

Should I keep the convertible soft top on my 65' roadster UP always until I decide to put it down or is it okay for me to keep it DOWN all the time until needed ?? The car is always garaged and the top is is mint condition. Also, what is the SAFEST and recommended way to clean the rear window ??

Thanks for any help...... :confused:
Old 05-16-2003, 04:32 AM
Mikey1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Convertible soft top questions--- (Kurt G.)

Keep it always up until you decide to drive open.

1st....not in use for a longer time it will shrink ( no joke ! ) and 2nd you will have folding marks.

Disadvantage then is...once used it´ll put a large amout of pressure on the front window frame. Have heard of a rusted frame in a C3 break due to a longer not in use top.
Old 05-16-2003, 08:28 AM
brucep
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Convertible soft top questions--- (Mikey1)

any way to stretch one that's been down too long?
Old 05-16-2003, 08:42 AM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Re: Convertible soft top questions--- (brucep)

Put it in the sun with the top up. When it gets hot enough to be clamped in the up position, take it down the highway at 75-80 withthe windows up and the vents open. The air pull outside and air pressure inside will stretch it. :auto:
Old 05-16-2003, 08:43 AM
JSB69
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Convertible soft top questions--- (brucep)

This has worked for me. Adjust the front and rear latches as loose as possible and put the top up. You may not even be able to completely latch the front. Tighten things up every day or so and if it's not too badly shrunken, it will work out.
Old 05-16-2003, 09:15 AM
Kid_Again
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...yeah, i could see getting fold marks if it's down all the time...mine has the marks (came with it) so i have to live with it...remember to put a towel between the folds of the rear window to prevent scratches and don't move the top if it gets below about 60* or so to lessen chnaces of cracking....pep boys sells some stuff that is billed as a polish for soft top rear windows...i also use it to polish tail light and running light lenses - also good for the newer lexan headlight covers that get scratched from a lot of driving
Old 05-16-2003, 10:33 AM
Kurt G.
Racer

Default Re: Convertible soft top questions--- (Mikey1)

Thanks for the tips. It is a relatively new top and each time I put it up I would park the car in the sun for about 4-5 hours. Seemed to relax it a bit.

Thanks again. :cheers:
Old 05-16-2003, 12:50 PM
kyosho
Pro

Do not store it with the top down. Not only will it wrinkle the vinyl, it will also crease the window. Always store with the top up.

Like others said, leave it out in the sun for a few hours, and it will start to stretch back. :)
Old 05-16-2003, 08:50 PM
ARed64
Racer

I always store mine with the top up. Not only will it make the top last longer but will also keep your interior clean and help keep critters out.

Also, I never latch the rear of the top at the deck when garaged. This helps prevent "marks" that can occur in the paint from the black rubber weatherstrip.
Old 05-21-2003, 12:32 AM
Kurt G.
Racer

Default Re: Convertible soft top questions--- (ARed64)

Thanks for the info...have you ever used those clear plastic strips they sell to put under the rear weatherstrip where it meets the decklid ?? :steering:
Old 05-21-2003, 10:33 AM
ARed64
Racer

No, I have never used the clear plastic strips. I don't really need them. Almost all of my driving is done when the weather is good and the top is down. When I am not driving the car, I store the car with the rear of the top unlatched as described.

Also, as metioned, put a large beach towel over the entire rear area before folding the top down. It will help keep scratches off the window that come from the vibration of the car as you are driving.
Old 05-21-2003, 12:03 PM
propwash
Burning Brakes

I use the strips on the back and since I polished the Stainless I use a strip on the w8indshield frame top also, It works real well. :seeya
Old 05-21-2003, 12:29 PM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Re: Convertible soft top questions--- (ARed64)

No, I have never used the clear plastic strips. I don't really need them. Almost all of my driving is done when the weather is good and the top is down. When I am not driving the car, I store the car with the rear of the top unlatched as described.

Also, as metioned, put a large beach towel over the entire rear area before folding the top down. It will help keep scratches off the window that come from the vibration of the car as you are driving.
I use the clear plastic strip when top is up at all times. Prevents paint chafing, works for me. :cool:
Old 05-21-2003, 03:39 PM
richscorvettes
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Default Re: Convertible soft top questions--- (MasterDave)

:iagree: on the plastic strip. It can help preventing a mark on the deck whether it's when storing with the top up or especially if you have to drive with the top up. It might take a couple of tries to get it lined up to fit where the top meets the deck. Using a towel for the folded window is also a good idea or getting one of the "pillows" available from Forum vendors.

Rich Lagasse
Old 05-24-2003, 03:22 PM
Kurt G.
Racer

Default Re: Convertible soft top questions--- (richscorvettes)

As usual "The Forum" has given tons of great tips/advice. Thanks for ALL the replys. :steering:

Get notified of new replies

To Convertible soft top questions---

Quick Reply: Convertible soft top questions---