C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Pictures of my convertible top replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2003, 11:29 AM
kyosho
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pictures of my convertible top replacement

Here are some pictures of when I replaced my convertible top about 2 months ago.

They are in my basement (I have a walkout and I was able to work on the car in the warm basement) :D

[Modified by kyosho, 10:29 AM 3/27/2003]
Old 03-27-2003, 12:19 PM
Kid_Again
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Pictures of my convertible top replacement (kyosho)

nice...did you have any problems installing the weather stripping?
Old 03-27-2003, 01:20 PM
6T5RUSH
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 118 Likes on 97 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

kyosho,

NICE work!! Where did you say lived? I'll be right over!! :) Mine was installed by a shop in Richmond, MI 4 years ago. Shortly after...about 2 months later, I noticed what appeared to be a black mark (white top) on the pass side, right at the curve of the middle rib. On closer examination it was a HOLE..more like a slit :eek: Turns out one of the screws on the underside of the top, on the rib, wasn't fastened down and became a wear item on the top. Needless to say, the top shop attempted to glue this cut...visually kinda unsightly. Then I had to split the cost ($60):( Let's just say I'm not a happy camper. I think my next top, and that's all I'll need to replace since it had all new weatherstripping as well as pads installed, will be a tan or black one. Your black does look good. I guess my white top looked good in contrast to the dark color (Milano Maroon), but she's a bear to keep clean.

Again, nice work!!

Jim
Old 03-27-2003, 02:30 PM
kyosho
Pro

Default Re: Pictures of my convertible top replacement (6T5RUSH)

I did this myself, using the Al Knoch tape that is available out there for mid years. I replaced everything but the frame, did the work 100% myself.

The weatherstripping on the back bwo was a bit of work, but simply took time to do it.

Jim - I live near Romeo, MI not too far from you. :)
Old 03-27-2003, 09:23 PM
Andy B
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

kyosho,

Thanks for posting the pictures; that top looks great! It’s nice to know that with a little patience this is a job that can be done yourself. I was talked out of trying to put the covers on the seats myself and now I wish I had at least tried, I’m defiantly going to give the soft-top a try.

Andy B
Old 03-28-2003, 08:34 AM
hogan64
Racer

Default Re: Pictures of my convertible top replacement (Andy B)

Kyosho,

That top looks GREAT !! You may have just talked me into doing this job myself. I called a top shop in Shelby and was quoted about 1K for labor. I hung up. How long did the job take Kyosho?
Jim, if your interested in tackling this job on both our cars let me know. Maybe Kyosho could stop by to give us some hints to success. :cheers:

Ted
Old 03-28-2003, 09:44 AM
INMYBLOOD
Le Mans Master

Location: The problem is all inside your head she said to me.

Looks great :thumbs: I too would at least like to try to do my C1. Only thing I am debating is now before my may cruise or after?
Old 03-28-2003, 09:53 AM
kyosho
Pro

Default Re: Pictures of my convertible top replacement (hogan64)

Thanx for the comments, you are too kind. :D

Well, as far as the time goes, it depends.
1. I took the frame off the car a year ago, cleaned it up, painted it, etc. Put it back on. I then put the weatherstrips on the frame (without any top on), and aligned the frame to the side windows, so that the frame fit correctly on the front bow, the rear bow, and the weatherstrip fit nicely along the side windows. This process can take days to do the frame (sandblasting, priming, painting, etc.), and a couple hours to align everything.

2. Once things were aligned, then I took the weatherstrip off, and followed the video to do the top the rest of the way. New tack strips, pads, straps, topw, weatherstrip. All you need are some scissors, staple gun, spray adhesive or contact cement, and a heat gun. Well, plus of course the top, pads, tack strips, new weatherstrip, etc. This can take one long day, or a couple half days/nights.

And yes, I had called Shelby Trim myself, and was shocked :eek: by the price they quoted, plus they wanted the car for 2 weeks, plus the could not guarantee it was parked inside, etc. I said forget it!!!
Old 03-29-2003, 08:05 AM
StrayDog
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Kyosho...Wow & congratulations.....excellant Work :hurray: did you have any experience doing this type of thing before.?........I have a new Al Knock top sitting in a box ,as well as complete weatherstripping kit, was going to do weather stripping myself.........& pay a zillion bucks to have top installed professionally...But after reading your sucess , may try it myself ........who did you get instalation vidio from ? again :thumbs: great work...The Dog :seeya :flag :flag
Old 03-29-2003, 08:12 AM
Kid_Again
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Pictures of my convertible top replacement (StrayDog)

Dog....i borrowed a tape from a forum member...ask and see if anyone bites

..i guess it IS mr. knoch hisself on the tape...NO special tools, take lots of pictures on the way in
Old 04-02-2003, 08:11 AM
kyosho
Pro

Default Re: Pictures of my convertible top replacement (Kid_Again)

I borrowed the tape from a local vette store. Some of them allow you to rent them.
Old 04-02-2003, 08:46 AM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Kyosho - nice job. :thumbs:

Is that an Al Knoch top? Do the panels that go behind the weatherstrip at the vertical edge of the door glass have the shiny side out or shiny side toward the frame?

I have put ACC tops on my car. The first (white) was fine, but the last two (navy blue) have had the panel sewn in to hold the top under the verticle door window WS with shiny side in and skimpy width. No matter how much adhesive I use, the panel will not hold in place - and I ended up sewing a panel over it after it slipped out on the NCRS Monterrey ride last summer.
:rant:
I like the navy blue tops, but I think ACC is the only supplier, and I am about ready to label their products as crap.
:cuss
Old 04-02-2003, 10:29 AM
kyosho
Pro

Default Re: Pictures of my convertible top replacement (magicv8)

Magic - Thanx for the kind comments. Yes, it is an Al Knoch top. The first experience I have ever had with installing a convertible top. Nice top.

The area of the top I think you are referring to, which goes on the b-pillar of the top frame, is glued under the weatherstrip in that area, 3 holes are poked in it to mount the weatherstrip (which has studs on it) from behind (inside the car) with small nuts.

If this is correct, the 'shiny side', the side that you see from the outisde of the car, touches the weatherstrip, the 'fuzzy' side (interior side of the top) gets glued to the b-pillar of the top frame.

I'm sorry to hear about the other tops you have done. That stinks... :(

[Modified by kyosho, 9:29 AM 4/2/2003]
Old 04-02-2003, 11:15 AM
BadaskZ28
Pro

:cool: :cheers:
Old 04-02-2003, 10:05 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks kyosho - that's the way my first ACC top was - the last 2 were not. :p:

Get notified of new replies

To Pictures of my convertible top replacement

Quick Reply: Pictures of my convertible top replacement