C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

The CCC Does Front Suspension and Brakes in a Day...

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2003, 11:12 PM
Blkblt
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default The CCC Does Front Suspension and Brakes in a Day...

An expanded version of the CCC spent the day at Lars removing and replacing Brutal64's (Steve) 1964 coupe suspension and brakes. The group included Lars, Steve, Kurt (Milehigh66), John G. (Colo_Sledgehammer), John M. (63ColoSW), Greg (Greg454), Vettacy, and yours truly. We started about 9:30 am and had everything out in an hour (a-arms, springs, front stab, all four drum brakes, idler arm, tie-rods, everything. The rest of the day was spent rebuilding, replacing bushings and ball joints, redoing brakes (a drum brake car all around) and rebuilding the MC, cleaning parts, painting, consuming brews before they could consume us, watching portions of the Daytona, eating pizza, cleaning up Lars drool (that Lars...you gotta be careful around him.... :skep: ), and generally enjoying ourselves. The job was completed around 5:00 pm and Steve drove it home around 6:00 pm, although the real work took less time. No one can ever accuse the CCC of being all "business"..... :party: :cheers:

Pictures: Since I showed up with a mostly dead battery in the digital, and John G.'s camera wasn't in much better shape, the picts were scattered. However, we did get a good array. In the next day or so, I will post up or link to some pertinent pics of the project. Besides I am too bagged to do anything else tonight........ (I know....wuss...). So, stay tuned to this thread..... :thumbs:

The CCC's next project of significance.....an engine change-out on Colo_Sledgehammer's 64 roadster....from numbers match starter motor (327/300) to a killer, built 406..... :hurray: :eek:

As usual, a great day was had at another fun and productive CCC gathering!!

"Only beers were killed in the making of this production."

Jeff
Ô66. Modified L72
ÒThe Silver BeastÓ
Keep on

:cheers: :seeya :auto:

[Modified by Blkblt, 9:15 PM 2/16/2003]
Old 02-17-2003, 06:50 AM
Kid_Again
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: The CCC Does Front Suspension and Brakes in a Day... (Blkblt)

...doing the complete front suspension on the roadster (not much else to do with 25+ inches of snow on the ground....i'm in for over two weeks now, took all the components down to bare metal, now primed and semi-glossed, will do the bushings today/tomorrow...1 day vs. 3 weeks :skep:
Old 02-17-2003, 06:52 AM
Kid_Again
Melting Slicks

...now, EXACTLY what does this mean??? -> :_dupe:
Old 02-17-2003, 08:39 AM
Brutal64
Burning Brakes

:cheers: Thanks to everyone for their help. The brakes and suspension turned out beautifully! Had a great time but man am I glad thats over with, too much work for one day. Every muscle in my body aches.

Kid-I feel for ya. Been there and done that. Two weeks rollin around on a cold garage floor is not fun.
Old 02-17-2003, 10:07 AM
Denney
Melting Slicks

Congrats CCC :cheers: , unfortunately those of us in the mid-Atlantic area have had more "pressing" business (as in the shoveling, re-shoveling, re-shoveling, etc.) of finding a means to get out of our front doors so that we can evntually get out on the roads (definitely not Corvette driving weather around here). :nopity Where is all that damn global warming we are supposed to be experiencing! :reddevil Good thing I have one of those evil SUV's because if I didn't I would not get out of here for at least 3 or 4 days!
Old 02-17-2003, 10:19 AM
JL66REDCPE
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Wow -- that is a lot of work completed in one day !!!!!! What did you use for a spring compressor ???

john lolli
Old 02-17-2003, 10:21 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,926 Likes on 1,931 Posts

The front end & brakes project was a blast! Like blkblt says, we actually dropped the entire front end off the car in one hour flat, and within the second hour we had all the bushings out of the A-arms. No spring compressor or bushing presses were used in the process - just ordinary hand tools. We zipped all the bushings out using a vice and an air hammer, and knocked the new ones in with a 3/4" drive socket set. 6 hours from start to finish included beer breaks, bloody marys, pizza, painting the parts, watching the Daytona 500, doing 4-wheel brakes, rebuilding the master cylinder, bleeding the brakes, and doing a rudimentary front end alignment. Not bad for a bunch of mis-guided drunks.... :cheers:
Old 02-17-2003, 10:23 AM
CO_Sledgehammer
Racer

Default Re: The CCC Does Front Suspension and Brakes in a Day... (JL66REDCPE)

Spring compressor? ha! Lars is the human spring compressor... just wait 'til you see the pics of his bloody fingers...

Edit -
More pics here in case you missed the link:
http://www.jgilbertjr.com/images/ss_...603/index.html

Note our hero's favorite eight-track tape selection. :cheers: http://www.jgilbertjr.com/images/ss_...3/P2160028.JPG

Also, pay special attention to the pink Barbie bike hanging on the wall of our resident super tuner's garage. :D

[Modified by CO_Sledgehammer, 1:01 PM 2/17/2003]
Old 02-17-2003, 10:45 AM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
2015 C2 of Year
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10, '14-'15

Well I'm Impressed................ Lot-Sa work there..... Who did the Front End Alignment after the rebuild???? Or did you just use a "Beer Bottle" as an Alignment Sight? And did you check your tires when you got home........... :lol:
Old 02-17-2003, 11:34 AM
Milehigh66
Pro

Default Re: The CCC Does Front Suspension and Brakes in a Day... (Viet Nam Vett)

Well I can say that I feel generally beat up today. Whole lotta work for one day! As far as the alighnment goes it was done by measuring the distance between the front of the tires and comparing it to the distance to the rear of the tires, just good enough to get it home and to an alighnment shop.
Steve did say however that his alignment felt pretty good, but than again it needed an alignment when he brought it over. :yesnod:
Fun but exausting day. :smash:

Kurt :cheers:
Old 02-17-2003, 12:39 PM
Blkblt
Drifting

Ok, Guys. Here are some photos of yesterday's suspension and brake rebuild/replace. The photos should be self-explanatory.

The CCC pic: Front: Steve (Brutal64-his car) and Lars. Back: Kurt (Milehigh66, holding up the car), John G. (CO_Sledgehammer), John M. (63ColoSW), and Lou (Vettesy). "He Who Is Never Seen" (me - blkblt, the photog) cannot be seen.

'Puter Wizz, CO_Sledgehammer has a number of additional photos loaded to his server so you can get an additional feel to the days work load. Even "He Who Is Never Seen" can be seen on one shot (cleaning an a-arm).
http://www.jgilbertjr.com/images/ss_...603/index.html

Jeff

[Modified by Blkblt, 10:52 AM 2/17/2003]

[Modified by Blkblt, 10:54 AM 2/17/2003]
Old 02-17-2003, 01:23 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice job, guys !! Sounds like you had fun, even with all the work.

BTW - the alcohol may have been a small handicap, but with a two-post
lift and Lars on hand - shouldn't it have been done by 3 ??
:jester

Congrats :cheers:
Old 02-17-2003, 01:56 PM
JL66REDCPE
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

I re-iterate -- WOW !!! Nice job folks. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

john lolli
Old 02-17-2003, 05:27 PM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

2015 C2 of Year

Oh Boy............ :nonod: The "CCC" guys have a lift and air tools and a big Gee-Rage.....and a back up crew.... All the "NJCC" guys got is a Floor Jack and a I/2 inch socket set.....and one small model airplane vise and a Butane torch. :mad

Looks like we gotta get a hold of the guy wiyh the "Snap On" Truck and rob a bank or two........... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wish I was their with you guys..........Wrenching is better then being stuck in this 20 inch snow crap.... :cheers:
Old 02-17-2003, 09:42 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,926 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Default Re: The CCC Does Front Suspension and Brakes in a Day... (Viet Nam Vett)

Snow.... what snow??? Hey CCC guys... you guys see any snow?? Man, VNV, it was 60 degrees and sunny out here... what you talkin' 'bout snow?? We had lawnchairs set up in the driveway, and we were drinkin' cold beers (although a couple of the guys put their cold beers in huggies so the beers wouldn't get too warm and so their workin' fingers wouldn't get too cold.... it's a hard life out here...). But just in case you showed up, BRUTAL64 brought out a propane heater and lit it up in your honor.... :lol:

And you're telling me you guys don't have a 2-post lift in your garage out there?? We have converted our 2-ton floor jack to a really cool beer bottle opener - best use we could find for it. We also have a 2-horse gasoline-powered margarita-blender that goes with our stack of power tools. One of the guys shot some pics of the Hooters girls that came over with the food... where are those pictures, guys..??

It's a tough life out here in Colorado.. I guess that's why just anybody can't do it.. :cheers:

[Modified by lars, 8:46 PM 2/17/2003]

[Modified by lars, 12:09 PM 2/18/2003]
Old 02-18-2003, 12:27 AM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 547 Likes on 315 Posts

Great way to get a lot done .. ! .. Nice going, guys. When's the 406 action 'sposed to happen ... ? ..
You know, come to think of it, it was about 60 degrees here too .. ? .. The last time it snowed was 1976 .. ? .. Does that one count .. ? .. :smash:
Old 02-18-2003, 10:47 AM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

2015 C2 of Year

Default Re: The CCC Does Front Suspension and Brakes in a Day... (lars)

Quote*
Snow.... what snow??? Hey CCC guys... you guys see any snow?? Man, VNV, it was 60 degrees and sunny out here... what you talkin' 'bout snow?? We had lawnchairs set up in the driveway, and we were drinkin' cold beers
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spread Wound Apart...........Poor Salt In......... And Rub Hard..... :nopity :banghead:

Get notified of new replies

To The CCC Does Front Suspension and Brakes in a Day...

Old 02-18-2003, 05:49 PM
Kid_Again
Melting Slicks

Default Re: The CCC Does Front Suspension and Brakes in a Day... (JL66REDCPE)

...john, don't you believe them for a minute

if you take a REAL good look in the background, you'll see they're at JiffyLube...in fact, i think they electronically pasted that vette on top of one of their classic Yugo's :skep: ...you'll see they're all fluent in yugoslavian (serbian???, not sure anymore)

...hell, EVEN I was able to drop the ENTIRE front suspension in 1.5 hours (back to the frame) by myself (first rule is to be relatively sober) with an impact wrench and a pickle fork attached to an impact hammer - that's EASY........getting it back together is, uh, well - let's just say i'm a patient guy :rolleyes:

[Modified by Kid_Again, 5:51 PM 2/18/2003]
Old 02-18-2003, 06:27 PM
colo63sw
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Default Re: The CCC Does Front Suspension and Brakes in a Day... (Kid_Again)

Will a Yugo even fit on a 2-post lift???

Language isn’t needed with the CCC. After a sufficient # of beers, it’s all grunting and pointing along with strange gestures that only milehigh66 and Lars can interrupt.

I was suggesting that we take a group photo in out T-shirts during the few minuets the HOOTERS girls were there delivering the pizza, but I was overridden. Something about wearing heavy shirts in deference to those poor bastar*s in the record setting storm back east.
:lol: :lol: :cheers: :cheers:
Old 02-18-2003, 08:10 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Default Re: The CCC Does Front Suspension and Brakes in a Day... (colo63sw)

I'd be surprised to find enough of a Yugo left on this earth to fit on a lift. Congrats on a job well done by a great team. You guys need to move to the mid-Atlantic area, then VMV and my self could bend elbows with you. I would bring the requisite "correct hammer" oops! I forgot, I did see something in motion in one pic that resembled a "bald pen__ hammer" :lol:

Quick Reply: The CCC Does Front Suspension and Brakes in a Day...