C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

57 Vette Fuses

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2024, 04:26 PM
rlgerst@msn.com
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Default 57 Vette Fuses

I have not had any electoral problems on my '57 Vette until NOW... I showed it at a local car show and everything worked. When I got it home the headlights and radio stopped working... When you pull on the light switch **** to the first click, the parking lights, every light works.... When you pull it all-the-way out for the headlights, all exterior lights go out including the parking lights - dash light still work.... I pulled the headlight switch and there is a fuse on the rear of the light switch assy, but it was good.... I pulled and check the 3 fuse in the fuse block (+ the 2 above the block) and they are all good... I have looked everywhere for a blown fuse and I just can't find anything wrong.... Any suggestions ????
Old 04-24-2024, 04:52 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,982 Likes on 4,802 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

I would start with the headlight switch or dimmer switch
Old 04-24-2024, 04:58 PM
rlgerst@msn.com
Instructor

I was going to replace the headlight switch, but the radio must be on the same circuit, so I am looking for a fuse, I guess...
Old 04-24-2024, 05:12 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,232 Likes on 2,309 Posts

The radio will not be on a fuse with the headlight switch. The headlights don't use a fuse, except for the small one you mentioned on the switch which only protects the dash lights. Your headlight problem will be in the circuit breaker mounted in and part of the headlight switch OR more likely, the floor dimmer switch is not feeding voltage through. Try changing from bright to dim a few times and see what happens, after that it will take measuring voltage to be sure. It is normal for the front parking lights to go off when you pull on the headlights, that's the way the cars were designed. They are parking lights, not running lights.
The radio will be a separate problem with either the radio itself, the radio switch, or the power to it. I do not know where the fuse is for the radio, if it has one. If it does, it will probably be marked as "radio" in the fuse block. If not, you will need to trace the wire back to find the connection. Both these issues may need a meter or test light to trace.
If your radio is making no sound, then remember the speaker or speaker connection could also be bad. Either way, you have two separate issues.
Old 04-24-2024, 06:36 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 739 Likes on 459 Posts

I don't know if this helps or not but I found the switch diagram (bottom below) on an "instrument wiring" (AIM?) page posted by Willcox.
It shows radio connections at the headlight switch.
Disclaimer: I have no experience with '57 wiring. Hope I'm not adding any confusion.
P.S. Found the page from the '57 AIM.

Last edited by DZVette; 04-24-2024 at 06:42 PM. Reason: added illustration
Old 04-24-2024, 07:07 PM
jforb
Pro

Received 526 Likes on 206 Posts

is that for the gray wire for the light for the radio?
Old 04-24-2024, 07:13 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

That would be my guess but as I said above, I have no experience with a '57.
Old 04-24-2024, 07:30 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Is your radio an aftermarket device?
Old 04-24-2024, 07:47 PM
rlgerst@msn.com
Instructor

No, completely original....
Old 04-24-2024, 07:48 PM
rlgerst@msn.com
Instructor

Thank you so much... Great info....
Old 04-24-2024, 07:54 PM
rlgerst@msn.com
Instructor

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
The radio will not be on a fuse with the headlight switch. The headlights don't use a fuse, except for the small one you mentioned on the switch which only protects the dash lights. Your headlight problem will be in the circuit breaker mounted in and part of the headlight switch OR more likely, the floor dimmer switch is not feeding voltage through. Try changing from bright to dim a few times and see what happens, after that it will take measuring voltage to be sure. It is normal for the front parking lights to go off when you pull on the headlights, that's the way the cars were designed. They are parking lights, not running lights.
The radio will be a separate problem with either the radio itself, the radio switch, or the power to it. I do not know where the fuse is for the radio, if it has one. If it does, it will probably be marked as "radio" in the fuse block. If not, you will need to trace the wire back to find the connection. Both these issues may need a meter or test light to trace.
If your radio is making no sound, then remember the speaker or speaker connection could also be bad. Either way, you have two separate issues.
I removed all the fuses (3) and cleaned them with 2000 grit sandpaper.... and reinstalled them.... I also cycled the dimmer switch several times... I also got a NEW battery..... MY HEADLIGHTS NOW WORK.... I don't know why, but they work.... Radio always worked but now doesn't.... But like you said that is a separate issue... I will track that down tomorrow....
Old 04-24-2024, 08:09 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

The dimmer switch contacts may be a little dirty or corroded and cycling cleaned them off. I was not aware of the radio connection at the headlight switch as it doesn't show on my diagram, but I would check that wire and connection closely. With a meter, you can easily follow the voltage from the radio to the switch, or vice versa. Really your choices are, bad radio, no power, no ground, or speaker not working or not connected. Make sure that connection shown as "radio" on the switch is clean and connected completely.
Old 04-24-2024, 11:43 PM
deejaydu
Safety Car

Received 480 Likes on 337 Posts

Ron It sounds like you got your FI working correctly in order to be showing it at a car show. Could you please PM me the details as to what you did to get it fixed. I am having similar issues with mine and I would like to compare notes with you.

Thanks
Jay
Old 04-25-2024, 04:53 PM
rlgerst@msn.com
Instructor

Default 57 fuses

Originally Posted by DZVette
I don't know if this helps or not but I found the switch diagram (bottom below) on an "instrument wiring" (AIM?) page posted by Willcox.
It shows radio connections at the headlight switch.
Disclaimer: I have no experience with '57 wiring. Hope I'm not adding any confusion.
P.S. Found the page from the '57 AIM.

Thanks so much DZVette.... This switch diagram SHOWS clearly that the radio gets it power from the headlight switch.... The right rear connector had been broken off.... I soldered and reattached a new end and now the radio and headlights both work.... I am so glad that there is a Corvette Forum.... What would I do without y'all.... Ron
Old 04-25-2024, 04:59 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for following up for us.

Get notified of new replies

To 57 Vette Fuses