C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Throw out bearing replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2024, 01:04 PM
deejaydu
Safety Car

Received 479 Likes on 336 Posts

Default Throw out bearing replacement

Can you replace the throw out bearing without removing the bell housing on a 63.

Old 04-21-2024, 01:16 PM
Diablo427
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

You have to remove the transmission. At least pull it back enough for the shaft to come out of the throw out bearing. If you are changing out the throwout bearing, it would be best to change the whole clutch in most cases. Not an easy job at all due to welded crossmember. It's basically a full clutch job to change the throw out bearing.
Old 04-21-2024, 02:08 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,629 Likes on 1,960 Posts

The transmission needs to be pushed all the way back over the crossmember and shifted to get the pilot tip off to the edge off the bell housing opening and you should have enough room to change it out.
Old 04-21-2024, 07:00 PM
deejaydu
Safety Car

Ok thanks everyone for the information.

Jay
Old 04-23-2024, 10:32 AM
OldVetteguy84
Pro

Received 134 Likes on 57 Posts

Couple thoughts. Mine is 67 and I did not have to drop trans to floor, or remove bell housing. That in my opinion makes it much easier than clutch. Second, why did it fail? Often it is because it wasn't mounted on fork properly. Look for pics that show how it slides on to the fork with the flat metal retainer spring still in contact with the fork. Not with the lip of the bearing between the spring and the fork. Good luck with it.
Old 04-23-2024, 10:39 AM
deejaydu
Safety Car

Originally Posted by OldVetteguy84
Couple thoughts. Mine is 67 and I did not have to drop trans to floor, or remove bell housing. That in my opinion makes it much easier than clutch. Second, why did it fail? Often it is because it wasn't mounted on fork properly. Look for pics that show how it slides on to the fork with the flat metal retainer spring still in contact with the fork. Not with the lip of the bearing between the spring and the fork. Good luck with it.
You are absolutely correct. I just did this job and I believe that I placed it on the fork incorrectly. I have not driven the car yet but I can hear a noise at the clutch assembly that when I press the clutch in it goes away. So I am thinking that I need to at least check to see if I have it installed correctly. So what was your process for getting to it without dropping the bell housing. This is on my 63.

Thanks
Jay
Old 04-24-2024, 02:01 PM
deejaydu
Safety Car

Originally Posted by OldVetteguy84
Tim I sent you a PM

Jay
Old 04-24-2024, 02:13 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,401 Likes on 923 Posts

In case you're lacking this bit of guidance:

Live well,

SJW
Old 04-24-2024, 03:33 PM
deejaydu
Safety Car

Thank you SJW I did not have that illustration. I am pretty sure I installed it wrong. Now if I can just fix it without having to take everything back apart.

Jay

Get notified of new replies

To Throw out bearing replacement

Quick Reply: Throw out bearing replacement