C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Little "Controversy"

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2024, 11:49 AM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 319 Posts

One other thing to check is your pulleys. I ran across something like this years back. The pulleys are stamped in manufacture and they can occasionally be slightly off . We went through 2 pumps and the bearings failed on both in short order. I discovered one side of the water pump pulley was slightly higher and was just "kissing" the crank pulley as it went around. The fix was to put the offending pulley in a lathe and take off the high spot. Certainly worth checking to make sure yours are not failing for the same reason, the clearance is pretty small there.
Old 04-22-2024, 12:26 PM
richopp
Burning Brakes

Received 175 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
FWIW, I put a FlowKooler pump on my 327 in 5/99 at 174K miles. I have never heard a peep out of it at 243K miles. Dennis

Hi,

I am looking at that one and they quote me a part number of 1668.

I realize it has been a while since you installed yours, but is there any way you can remember if that is the part number you used? FYI, my car has C-60--factory A/C, which FlowKooler says makes no difference.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Cheers!
Old 04-22-2024, 12:38 PM
richopp
Burning Brakes

Received 175 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Pilot Dan
One other thing to check is your pulleys. I ran across something like this years back. The pulleys are stamped in manufacture and they can occasionally be slightly off . We went through 2 pumps and the bearings failed on both in short order. I discovered one side of the water pump pulley was slightly higher and was just "kissing" the crank pulley as it went around. The fix was to put the offending pulley in a lathe and take off the high spot. Certainly worth checking to make sure yours are not failing for the same reason, the clearance is pretty small there.
Dan,

Thanks so much for this. We will definitely check this. With C-60, I have nested pulleys, so I will certainly check them out.

Cheers!
Old 04-22-2024, 12:50 PM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by richopp
Hi,

I am looking at that one and they quote me a part number of 1668.

I realize it has been a while since you installed yours, but is there any way you can remember if that is the part number you used? FYI, my car has C-60--factory A/C, which FlowKooler says makes no difference.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Cheers!
Dennis Probably still has the receipt

Quick Reply: [C2] Little "Controversy"