C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

I Will Update Progress On C2 Hardtop Weatherstrip Change

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2024, 10:34 PM
08redrocket
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default I Will Update Progress On C2 Hardtop Weatherstrip Change

I'm not much for public speaking and such but I have been going nuts trying to find out what to expect for how to remove the trim on the sides of the top of a C2. I have not done this before so if you want to learn from my experience follow along'
I am in no way a professional body work person. Just an older guy that wants a challenge AND has a fall back plan in case I get in over my head. I would like criticism, instructions and mostly positive support. I can do some stuff with a computer but not much.

OFF I GO!!
Today I had a neighbor come over and help me remove the 67 h/t and place it upside down on a padded table. I soaked all the fasteners that I could find with a penetrating spray liquid. Very few are in the open, most are in the folds of the old weatherstripping. (Alright, that is too long of a word to keep typing, so, from now on weatherstripping is now w/s. Hard Top will be h/t...others to follow I'm sure.) I ran my finger into the groove of the w/s to locate any others. There were a lot of them hidden.

I have to remove the w/s and trim. The trim is in very good condition, no kinks and no dents.

Check the folded w/s to find more screws. I will count them tomorrow.
Old 04-12-2024, 10:37 PM
08redrocket
Instructor

No kinks or dents my ***.... Looks like a bend on the top of the photo. Wow, first day and the first surprise....
Old 04-15-2024, 12:15 AM
08redrocket
Instructor

I found this to very easy so far.... everything is held on with screws!! I found out when I removed the inner rear window trim. The center piece fell and landed on my foot. I had borrowed some tolls that release clips for the stainless trim pieces. What a relief that I will not need them.

I am not going to remove or reinstall the rear window. Everything but that!
When I ordered the parts I also ordered the entire replacement screw set for the h/t. It is a tough call, the new ones are shinny and clean while the originals are in excellent condition but worn over the 57 years but still really good. I will change them out and keep all of the old ones.
Old 04-15-2024, 07:32 AM
73bbc
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

08redrocket, this is great timing for you to be documenting this project. I’m just now finishing up my 67 hardtop restoration and have found that existing information on the fasteners used is incomplete and inconsistent.
I did not, but should have, carefully recorded which type of screw came from each location because the fastener kits do not have instructions and the AIM is not complete. Even the DowSmith AIM for the hardtop seems to be missing some info.
For example, I bought 2 HT fastener sets from different sources and one of them had 6 truss/round head screws and the other had none, but it appears from the AIMs that there should be 5 per side in the hockey stick, the corner, and the vertical trim piece for a total
of 10.
Also, the sets I got each have 8 oval head countersunk screws but my top didn’t have any
of that type.
And another difference, the oval head 6-32 x 3/4”(?) screws were black in one set and silver zinc in the other.
If you could document all of the fasteners that came out of your top and post it that would be a great help!

Good luck with your project!!

Bill
Old 04-15-2024, 09:44 AM
pop23235
Safety Car

Received 1,028 Likes on 686 Posts

73BBC and I are likely too late. Hope you recorded where every fastener came from. Getting the correct one in the right place is the most difficult part of this exercise.
Old 04-15-2024, 10:20 AM
08redrocket
Instructor

I have them all still in the pieces they came out of. I will take photos of them and post it here for you.
Also, where can I get the gray pliable weather strip material that is placed all along the w/s?
Old 04-15-2024, 10:32 AM
elwood13
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,895 Likes on 1,083 Posts

Here is a pic from the bag that came with my kit that I got from glassworks.

Last edited by elwood13; 04-15-2024 at 12:33 PM.
Old 04-15-2024, 01:33 PM
pop23235
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 08redrocket
I have them all still in the pieces they came out of. I will take photos of them and post it here for you.
Also, where can I get the gray pliable weather strip material that is placed all along the w/s?
It’s called “duct seal”. Most hardware stores or commercial supply houses carry it. You can also use 3M strip caulk. Not sure it comes in grey, but readily available in black at auto paint suppliers.
Old 04-15-2024, 02:04 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 739 Likes on 459 Posts

Might be some useful info in the attached pdf files. Dave Hitchens (Hitch) documented his work re-doing his C2 hardtop.
The Dow-Smith doc is from the NCRS-TDB database files.
Dave Z
Old 04-15-2024, 10:34 PM
73bbc
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

DZ- thanks for the docs. The DowSmith manual is now safely copied to my hard drive.

For sealants, I'm using the 3M strip caulk (dumdum) for areas that may need to come apart again, and I'm using the 3M urethane seam sealer (pic below) for filling the hollow areas below the stainless around the front. Works very well but don't know how hard it would be to get apart after curing.

I'm still a little puzzled about the screw 4825964, the round/truss head low profile screw pictured below that is referenced in the GM AIM as item #13 but the AIM doesn't show all the places used. To me, it seems that this screw should be used in all of the recessed holes that mount the trim pieces, but there are 10 of these locations. I don't think I saw any of these screws in the Elwood's kit. Since this is a specialty screw, I'm guessing the parts guys decided to provide pan head screws instead.

Bill

Old 04-16-2024, 12:03 PM
73bbc
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Hey @pop23235
Did you have to cut/punch/drill screw holes across the rear lower WS on your hardtop WS project? If so, what is the best way? I have no luck drilling in rubber.

Thx
Bill
Old 04-16-2024, 12:36 PM
elwood13
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,895 Likes on 1,083 Posts

I have the hollow drill bit I used. You can borrow it if you like. Send me a pm if you are interested.

Old 04-16-2024, 01:11 PM
pop23235
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 73bbc
Hey @pop23235
Did you have to cut/punch/drill screw holes across the rear lower WS on your hardtop WS project? If so, what is the best way? I have no luck drilling in rubber.

Thx
Bill
I used a leather hole punch. Cuts a hole slightly undersize, so tight on the installed fastener.
Old 04-26-2024, 11:28 AM
08redrocket
Instructor

I am now ready to paint the interior trim parts of the hard top. What kind of paint did the factory use and what is the correct color code for black?
Old 04-26-2024, 04:09 PM
73bbc
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the help on punching holes!! I ended up using the cut off handle of a flux brush as my punch/drill. The metal is thin and sharp, and was the perfect diameter…worked great.

Regarding paint, my original black trim was in very good condition, but I decided to paint them to make things perfect. I sprayed several samples to get the best gloss match and found that John Deere semi-gloss black in the rattle can was perfect.
Old 04-26-2024, 08:00 PM
2tired
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by 73bbc
DZ- thanks for the docs. The DowSmith manual is now safely copied to my hard drive.

For sealants, I'm using the 3M strip caulk (dumdum) for areas that may need to come apart again, and I'm using the 3M urethane seam sealer (pic below) for filling the hollow areas below the stainless around the front. Works very well but don't know how hard it would be to get apart after curing.

Bill
Don't put it anywhere that you don't want it to stay. Forever.

Get notified of new replies

To I Will Update Progress On C2 Hardtop Weatherstrip Change

Quick Reply: I Will Update Progress On C2 Hardtop Weatherstrip Change