C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Yes, another Sombrero saga/advise

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2024, 07:50 AM
Chalie M
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 424 Likes on 290 Posts

Default Yes, another Sombrero saga/advise

OK, so upon removal of rear differential/batwing assembly, I finally was able to get it to drop down (after some large pry-bar persuasion), but them dreaded Sombrero’s stay attached to the main frame of the car:-)

Looks like P/O never bent tabs over onto batwing to secure them in place!

Soooo, before I start soaking them with some type of penetrating oil etc. or get my cutting wheel/wizzer out, because them suckers ain’t budging…
Thought I would seek some forum advise.

2-Questions

1- Before I start soaking in Kroil or PB blaster oils, any advice on any magic lubricant?, or should I just get the wizzer/cut off wheel out.., trying to keep this simple, some times the noise from my attached garage intrudes into our happy household:-), if you know what I’m saying, sometimes the Chemical’s intrude as well:-)..

2- Recommendations for what supplier has the best replacement Sombreros to Purchase? read some stories about the tabs may not come long enough Or not enough tabs to bend over?
Thanks
Chalie

Prying methods:-)..

Pass; side frozen Ugg..

Drivers side frozen Ugg ..
Old 02-25-2024, 09:15 AM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,784 Likes on 832 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

The next time you attempt this, rent a power hammer. The support will dislodge in about four seconds.
Old 02-25-2024, 10:09 AM
rccarson
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

I gotta ask.. Did you remove the center bolts before removing the differential support?
RC
The following users liked this post:
tbarb (02-25-2024)
Old 02-25-2024, 10:25 AM
tbarb
Safety Car

Received 563 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Hampton
The next time you attempt this, rent a power hammer. The support will dislodge in about four seconds.
I have never thought to use an impact gun here, can you explain where you separate the parts. I would be afraid of damaging the metal around the bushing, that's a good idea though.
Old 02-25-2024, 02:24 PM
C2Scho
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 509 Likes on 310 Posts

Here is a recent thread on the subject where a bunch of us beat on this subject for a while. Hope this helps.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...lp-please.html
Old 02-25-2024, 03:50 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 745 Likes on 465 Posts

Here's an article by JohnZ from the Corvette Enthusiast mag. Maybe some tips in there.
Dave Z
The following users liked this post:
John BX NY (02-27-2024)
Old 02-25-2024, 04:04 PM
Chalie M
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rccarson
I gotta ask.. Did you remove the center bolts before removing the differential support?
RC
I know can’t assume:-), yes. But thanks
Old 02-27-2024, 09:27 AM
supersport396
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

I'm doing this too and i used a heat gun in the cup where the bolt goes in. Smelled bad but they both popped right off. I was fighting them quite a bit without any luck before that.

Would like to know who offers the best replacement sombreros? CC in there catalog stars them as a CC Special whatever that means.
Old 02-27-2024, 01:18 PM
thoyer
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 373 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by supersport396
Would like to know who offers the best replacement sombreros? CC in there catalog stars them as a CC Special whatever that means.
I just replaced mine - got a set from both Bairs and Zip. The ones from Bairs I thought were better quality, more fold over tabs then the Zip ones and seemed like heavier gauge steel. I returned the Zip ones.

Tom
Old 02-27-2024, 08:14 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 614 Likes on 369 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

Juice down the center as best you can, use a 3 arm gear puller.

I would remove the center bolt and use a replacement in case the center puller stud damages it. Don't install hold down bolt tight. Leave a little room for the bushing to drop but do not make a projectile out of it. If you put allot of pressure on it and it still does not want to come off give it good wack with an hammer. Advance Auto used to loan tools out for free. Done k is if they still do that.

Tom
Old 02-27-2024, 08:24 PM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,784 Likes on 832 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by tbarb
I have never thought to use an impact gun here, can you explain where you separate the parts. I would be afraid of damaging the metal around the bushing, that's a good idea though.
A power hammer is different than an impact gun. Simply use it around the cross member where you removed the bolts. The vibration will dislodge that cross member in a nanosecond. Keep the blunt insert on the hammer against anything metal.
Old 02-28-2024, 05:55 AM
Chalie M
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by thoyer
I just replaced mine - got a set from both Bairs and Zip. The ones from Bairs I thought were better quality, more fold over tabs then the Zip ones and seemed like heavier gauge steel. I returned the Zip ones.

Tom
Thanks Tom, that was my main concern with the replacement cushions.. Got them on order..
Chalie
PS - sometimes laying under a car, yes even on jack stands can be a little daunting, in my older/senior years, my vertigo doesn’t help either, still love this hobby.
**currently have the cushions that are still frozen on the main frame soaking with some Kroil **
Old 02-28-2024, 08:04 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,646 Likes on 1,975 Posts

You might try the old 50/50 mix of acetone and automatic transmission fluid. Might not be good for the rubber but sounds like you are replacing them anyway.
Old 02-28-2024, 08:30 AM
thoyer
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 373 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Chalie M
Thanks Tom, that was my main concern with the replacement cushions.. Got them on order..
Chalie
PS - sometimes laying under a car, yes even on jack stands can be a little daunting, in my older/senior years, my vertigo doesn’t help either, still love this hobby.
**currently have the cushions that are still frozen on the main frame soaking with some Kroil **
Don't forget, as you are prying with a long pry bar - wedge it in so you are pushing down. If you pull up and the bushing pops or the pry bar slips there is a chance the pry bar will hit the quarter panel and cause some damage.............

Tom
Old 02-28-2024, 09:09 AM
Chalie M
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Been there almost done that (it’s soooo tempting to pry the other way ) As tempting as it is I don’t even temp it anymore (Murthy’s Law:-)….

Blue painters tape helps with me preventing a little scratch that pry bar will leave more than a little scratch..

Get notified of new replies

To Yes, another Sombrero saga/advise

Quick Reply: [C2] Yes, another Sombrero saga/advise