C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Please - What Is It???

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2024, 05:17 PM
Tmichaelson
Pro

Received 211 Likes on 135 Posts

Default Please - What Is It???

What is the function of the red circled black electrical box to the right of the back of the oil gauge???It looks like the adjacent corroded stripped wire below it went into it considering the blue dot of insulation/wire indicated on the black box edge. Car 1966 L79 w/o windows, ac. Thanks.

Last edited by Tmichaelson; 02-24-2024 at 06:17 PM.
Old 02-24-2024, 06:36 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,236 Likes on 2,312 Posts

Originally Posted by Tmichaelson
What is the function of the red circled black electrical box to the right of the back of the oil gauge???It looks like the adjacent corroded stripped wire below it went into it considering the blue dot of insulation/wire indicated on the black box edge. Car 1966 L79 w/o windows, ac. Thanks.

The pictures are too blurry and close to tell what’s going on but you’ve got a lot of issues there. You can see that the oil
line is cut, but that looks to be a butt connector with screw in type wire holes that you would join wires together with. The stock pink wire circuit is 12 V anytime. The key is on so be very careful probing around in there. Whatever it is, it isn’t stock.
Old 02-24-2024, 06:43 PM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,548 Likes on 1,043 Posts

I don't know, but I would guess some kind of splice connector, the cheap kind that cuts thru the insulation and part of the conductor on each wire. It looks like the pink wire off of the ignition switch has been hot and BUBBA did some very poor taping. The dark blue wire may be for the RH turn signal front and indicator or the windshield wiper motor from the switch. Jack should be along shortly and he is much more knowledgeable than I am.
No need to worry about oil pressure HUH?
Old 02-24-2024, 06:53 PM
Greg
Just another Corvette guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,836 Likes on 1,783 Posts

Can you see a little further down the bared wire to determine what color insulation it has? Can't tell by the pic.
Old 02-24-2024, 08:06 PM
Tmichaelson
Pro

Originally Posted by R66
I don't know, but I would guess some kind of splice connector, the cheap kind that cuts thru the insulation and part of the conductor on each wire. It looks like the pink wire off of the ignition switch has been hot and BUBBA did some very poor taping. The dark blue wire may be for the RH turn signal front and indicator or the windshield wiper motor from the switch. Jack should be along shortly and he is much more knowledgeable than I am.
No need to worry about oil pressure HUH?
I am currently replacing my oil gauge and copper oil line and cut the line to get the gauge out of the housing. That’s when I ran into the situation with the wiring.
Old 02-24-2024, 09:05 PM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,548 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Normally having to replace the oil gauge is a bad thing, but now that you have found a couple of potentially real bad things, it is a good thing or at least not so bad. Good luck tracing it out.
Old 02-24-2024, 09:17 PM
Leo Guggenbiller
Instructor

Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

Look at it this way. At least you found it before the smoke got out.That is a good thing., when the smoke gets out of that electrical stuff more bad things immediately follow. Please be careful.

Drive em safe
Leo
Old 02-24-2024, 10:17 PM
fogaley
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

The black square has a piercing pen that goes from the side into usually the brown wire for a condenser to be located there.
But a blue wire is not normal, Ck out a wiring diagram.
The condenser that is bolted to the 10oclock spot on the oil gauge is mounted to the wrong screw hole.
The wire that is stripped of its cover must be investigated. And fixed.
Fix the pink wire coming out of the ignition switch plug end too.
An assembly manual for your year of car will have wiring diagram and will help you a lot.
Get a 5/16 line wrench for the oil line.
Scott
Old 03-09-2024, 06:49 PM
Tmichaelson
Pro

Thank You those responding. I’m still trying to trace down and repair the bad wires temporarily and will be soon replacing at a minimum the dash wiring harness.
Old 03-10-2024, 08:47 AM
Patrick03
64's Rock!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 775 Likes on 435 Posts

I think I would just pull the cluster out so you can really get in there and figure what is going on. It isn't too hard to do and there are lots of threads on here with tips. I'll see if I can dig some up for you if you want to go this route
Old 03-10-2024, 09:50 AM
dmtparker
Pro

Received 139 Likes on 92 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-diagrams.html

Get notified of new replies

To Please - What Is It???

Quick Reply: Please - What Is It???