C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Primeing oil pump

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2024, 03:36 PM
Little67red
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Primeing oil pump

I took my 327 out last year.switched to a different motor.now I’m putting my old motor back in.the motor sat for a year.put engine back in.went to prime oil pump to get oil up in engine.spun for about ten minutes on and off. No oil coming up to rockers . The engine had good oil pressure when I took it out. I did drain it out and put new oil and filter in.tried to convert to spin on filter but it leaked.so I put old canaster back on no leaks.before someone says something I put the spin on conversion kit on.so if anyone had this problem please help me out.
Old 02-23-2024, 04:21 PM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,537 Likes on 1,039 Posts

If you want oil to the rockers, you need to use a primer tool that supplies oil to the lifters. I made one from an old distributor.
Old 02-23-2024, 04:30 PM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 674 Posts

Here's a pic of that priming tool that R66 is talking about. If this is what you used, then there's something else not quite right.
Mike T - Prescott AZ

Old 02-23-2024, 11:29 PM
Little67red
Instructor

I. Have that tool .used it on my engine.that’s what I’m talking about. Didn’t bring oil up to lifters.
Old 02-23-2024, 11:58 PM
Chalie M
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 422 Likes on 288 Posts

By any chance can u have someone look at the gauge in the car (assuming you hooked it all up?) just to verify if you are getting oil pressure at the gauge when using the drill?
Old 02-24-2024, 12:10 AM
Little67red
Instructor

I have not I will try that tomorrow. I am doing this by myself. I thought about that . But when you’re alone I can’t see the gauge.is there a certain way the oil fitting that mounts up in the block needs to be a certain way. I am talking about the piece that bolts on the block with two bolts. I’m using the canister like original engine.
Old 02-24-2024, 07:46 AM
Chalie M
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Little67red
I have not I will try that tomorrow. I am doing this by myself. I thought about that . But when you’re alone I can’t see the gauge.is there a certain way the oil fitting that mounts up in the block needs to be a certain way. I am talking about the piece that bolts on the block with two bolts. I’m using the canister like original engine.
I believe you are referring to the by pass plate with the 2-7/16” bolts? I believe if my memory serves me correctly it’s mechanic proof I don’t remember any index? I would have to look at one again while under the car?

I do realize you are a one man band so to speak I feel your pain, all my work today out in the garage is the same.. I asked about reading the oil gauge for pressure because I’m wondering if when you started out with an empty oil filter canister it may take some time to fill that sucker with the drill method & then continue with the drill to get oil pumped up to the rockers etc?
I usually fill that large canister first with fresh oil then screw it up into place (messy I know) to aid in instant oil pressure, I’m wondering if your oil filter canister is still not sufficiently filled yet in order to get oil upstairs? You could drop the canister down & see if you got oil in there?
If I’m following/reading your post correctly you did nothing but a glorified oil change to a motor that sat for some time?
** Frustrating I know keep with the basics, let us know if you got oil psi at the gauge when spinning the drill/priming tool (clockwise correct?), sorry had to ask?**

Last edited by Chalie M; 02-24-2024 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-24-2024, 09:27 AM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 674 Posts

After spinning the oil pump for a while, did you rotate the engine. It's usually a case of spin, rotate a bit, spin again and so on till you see oil at the rockers.
Mike T - Prescott AZ
Old 02-24-2024, 10:16 AM
Little67red
Instructor

Haven’t spun the pump yet.but I did fill the canister with oil when I put it on.
Old 02-24-2024, 10:30 AM
JF in MI
Drifting
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,312 Likes on 489 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Are these mechanical or hydraulic lifters?
Old 02-24-2024, 10:33 AM
Drummer Boy
Pro

Received 176 Likes on 89 Posts

Haven’t spun the pump yet.but I did fill the canister with oil when I put it on.
Are you certain that the drill is turning in the proper direction?
That pump moves a LOT of oil really fast so it should take only a few seconds to fill that oil filter.
Also, are you certain that the drill shaft has actually keyed onto the oil pump shaft correctly and is not merely spinning free down there?
Try to put you cel phone camera into movie mode---hang it in front of the oil pressure gauge --turn it on and let it run a movie while yu run the drill. That way you could at least see if you have pressure to the gauge.
Eddie
The following users liked this post:
JF in MI (02-24-2024)
Old 02-24-2024, 11:40 AM
Little67red
Instructor

Hydraulic lifters
Old 02-24-2024, 02:00 PM
Muttley
Burning Brakes

Received 239 Likes on 178 Posts

It is a little more challenging to be a one man show. When I was priming the system by myself, I rigged a mirror so I could see the pressure gauge through the windshield.
Old 02-24-2024, 02:59 PM
Little67red
Instructor

I had my wife watch the gauge. When I turned the drill on it showed 40 lbs pressure.but nothing at the lifters.
Old 02-24-2024, 03:02 PM
Little67red
Instructor

Had oil pressure of 40 lbs . When I turned the drill on.
Old 02-24-2024, 07:13 PM
Little67red
Instructor

Would you be afraid to start engine. I am getting 40 lbs pressure with hand drill.but not getting oil to rockers. I put assembly lube on push rods.would that keep oil from getting through push rods.
Old 02-24-2024, 07:48 PM
JF in MI
Drifting
Pro Mechanic

Would you be afraid to start engine. I am getting 40 lbs pressure with hand drill.but not getting oil to rockers. I put assembly lube on push rods.would that keep oil from getting through push rods.
IIRC hydraulic lifters don't allow oil to pass the same way mechanical ones do unless running. My memory has faded on those critters.

Get notified of new replies

To Primeing oil pump

Old 02-24-2024, 08:16 PM
Chalie M
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I had to go back & read your post again, I’m still perplexed about the situation slightly, you did nothing wrong as I can see but change oil & filter, sorta like a barn find & you change some fluids & crank over car to check for oil press?
Good news is that your getting oil pressure, if you still don’t feel comfortable about starting the engine, you could always pull the coil wire & use the starter to crank it over some, no harm there & see if you are getting oil upstairs .

I’m thinking those lifters bleed down? Try the above no harm there.
Old 02-25-2024, 08:54 AM
Drummer Boy
Pro

Received 176 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by JF in MI
IIRC hydraulic lifters don't allow oil to pass the same way mechanical ones do unless running. My memory has faded on those critters.
I have to respectfully disagree. When I primed my engine, with hydraulic lifters, I had oil coming up through the push rods and rockers.

I would be hesitant to start the engine. That oil pump moves A LOT of oil in a very short time. Sumpin aint right.
Could be that one of the INNER plugs is missing or became dislodged. That would explain it.
Keep checking.
Eddie
Old 02-25-2024, 08:58 AM
JF in MI
Drifting
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by Drummer Boy
I have to respectfully disagree. When I primed my engine, with hydraulic lifters, I had oil coming up through the push rods and rockers.

I would be hesitant to start the engine. That oil pump moves A LOT of oil in a very short time. Sumpin aint right.
Could be that one of the INNER plugs is missing or became dislodged. That would explain it.
Keep checking.
Eddie
Like I said; my memory fades on these lifters. If a plug was missing he wouldn't see 40# on the gauge.

Quick Reply: Primeing oil pump