C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Floor seam repair - Damaged from seat

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2024, 01:23 PM
rad-man
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Floor seam repair - Damaged from seat

The search function stilllllll being broke has really put a damper on things 🥴

some Bubba decided to leave off the reinforcement plates and now I have a small crack on the seam.

I’m about to lay down some Dynamat, but wondering if I should repair before putting the new plates down. My plan is to put the plates on top of the Dynamat and let the weight compress down.

I found this C3 thread where everyone recommends epoxying the seam:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...am-repair.html

Last edited by rad-man; 02-15-2024 at 02:05 PM.
Old 02-15-2024, 02:05 PM
PWPOOP
Racer

Received 257 Likes on 123 Posts

If it were mine I would clean it up with my sander throw down some fiberglass & resin. It would be easy to do for peace of mind & since it won't be seen you wouldn't have to be perfect with it.
Darin
The following 2 users liked this post by PWPOOP:
Calistoga C2 (02-17-2024), dcamick (02-15-2024)
Old 02-15-2024, 02:41 PM
pop23235
Safety Car

Received 1,032 Likes on 690 Posts

I agree with PW. Do you have the thick nutplate under and the thin plate for the top? Bottom inner is riveted in place. The identical outer is not riveted to the floor.
Old 02-15-2024, 03:40 PM
rad-man
Instructor

Originally Posted by pop23235
I agree with PW. Do you have the thick nutplate under and the thin plate for the top? Bottom inner is riveted in place. The identical outer is not riveted to the floor.
I have 4 of the thick nut plates for the bottom, and 4 of the thin plates that go under the track mount U bracket.
Which are you referring to as “bottom inner is riveted in place”.

Freaking bubba didn’t even use U brackets and left me with the rusty mess pictured above. Both seats were only secured with the front bolts 🙄
Old 02-15-2024, 05:42 PM
pop23235
Safety Car

Received 1,032 Likes on 690 Posts

Originally Posted by rad-man
I have 4 of the thick nut plates for the bottom, and 4 of the thin plates that go under the track mount U bracket.
Which are you referring to as “bottom inner is riveted in place”.

Freaking bubba didn’t even use U brackets and left me with the rusty mess pictured above. Both seats were only secured with the front bolts 🙄
Wow! You have the correct number of plates. At assembly, the bottom plates near the tunnel would have been held in place with two rivets. The outer ones were held in place with the seat brackets/bolts. Story is that the assembly workers could not reach far enough under while bolting the seat bracket, but easily reached the outer, saving riveting them in place.
Old 02-15-2024, 05:56 PM
rad-man
Instructor

Originally Posted by pop23235
Wow! You have the correct number of plates. At assembly, the bottom plates near the tunnel would have been held in place with two rivets. The outer ones were held in place with the seat brackets/bolts. Story is that the assembly workers could not reach far enough under while bolting the seat bracket, but easily reached the outer, saving riveting them in place.
I understand now! both bottom inner plates are still rivited in place...
Old 02-15-2024, 05:57 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 746 Likes on 466 Posts

Page 9 of the attached PDF show the inboard and outboard underbody seat-mount nut plates. The inboards were riveted at the factory I believe and the outboards were not (though as noted, I riveted them). Probably because the line workers could easily reach the outboards during installation.
Dave Z
Attached Images
The following 2 users liked this post by DZVette:
Easy Rhino (02-15-2024), rad-man (02-15-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To Floor seam repair - Damaged from seat

Quick Reply: [C2] Floor seam repair - Damaged from seat