C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] A few stupid convertible door questions…

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2024, 11:39 PM
rad-man
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default A few stupid door questions…

Since the search function is busted, I’m just going to pop some questions here.

1) is the outer window seal supposed to contact the window channel like this? The original and new both make the same contact
2) do the 2 access door plates get strip calk when installed? Previous owner had some in there, but it seems to make the panels not fit correctly.
3) Question about water ingress: is the door designed to let some water in and then drain out of the bottom of the door? There is no seal between the door and the vent window.
4) are all the screws supposed to have ***** of calk on them or was this possibly done during painting to protect the heads? (Red circles below)
5) I cleaned up the latch/lock mechanism as best as I could, and then I used some Lucas Red “N” Tacky to lubricare. It’s not too late to wipe it off if anyone has a better suggestion.

Last edited by rad-man; 02-08-2024 at 12:39 AM.
Old 02-08-2024, 03:01 PM
marshal135
Safety Car

Received 817 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Question #1 Yes. My 1965 looks the same.
Question #2 Not needed. Mine did not have it.
Question#3 Yes, bottom should have some drainage holes. They may be covered in debris.
Question#4 Mine did not have it. Looks like a painter's trick.
Question#5 I think it is a good choice if you're not in extreme cold climate otherwise it maybe too thick.

They look nice and clean. Mine were all stiff and gummed up. A can of Brake Kleen on each side got them working nicely.
Then I sprayed a Kroil lubricant all over them they move like butter.
Hope to have been of some help
The following users liked this post:
TCKT B8 (02-09-2024)
Old 02-08-2024, 03:14 PM
rad-man
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by marshal135
Hope to have been of some help
Thanks a lot! #3 makes sense with the window seal being lower than the lip of the outside of the door. My drains are clear, but others could theoretically be driving around with water inside their doors if the drains are clogged? Which also makes sense why we have vapor barriers to protect the door panels.

Get notified of new replies

To A few stupid convertible door questions…

Quick Reply: [C2] A few stupid convertible door questions…