C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Looking to get a set of Kelsey KO’s restored….

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2024, 09:26 PM
Pushed2dmax
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Looking to get a set of Kelsey KO’s restored….

Hi,

I have a set of Kelsys that I’m looking to have restored. Any recommendations on a restoration shop would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-05-2024, 09:31 PM
KingRat
Drifting

Received 868 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by Pushed2dmax
Hi,

I have a set of Kelsys that I’m looking to have restored. Any recommendations on a restoration shop would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Do a search for either:
Frank Tetro
Harbor Auto restorations in Rockledge Florida
or

Mike Zamora of ReNu-a-Vette
https://renu-a-vette.com/Home_Page.html

Last edited by KingRat; 02-05-2024 at 09:54 PM.
Old 02-06-2024, 12:39 AM
silver837
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 993 Likes on 788 Posts

If you list your general location on your profile you will get better answers .
Old 02-06-2024, 04:58 PM
65vette396
Pro

Received 155 Likes on 119 Posts

Mike Zamora in NM did my BO wheels and they came back looking new. He has a machine that spins the wheel when he polishes it, much like KH did originally. He's an NCRS guy that knows what the wheels should look like when done. He also sells sets and takes trade ins. Otherwise, he'll restore yours. Fairly quick turnaround but not cheap. Mike's number is 505-328-0904
Old 02-07-2024, 09:14 AM
Fat Mike
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 730 Likes on 610 Posts

I spoke to Mike Zamora a couple of weeks ago about the cost to restore a set of wheels. He reported he was nearly a year out due to the number of wheels he does and how long it takes to do the work. Mike wrote an article for the NCRS Restorer magazine and detailed the process he uses. Since the article came out, he reported he has been extra busy. The wheels turn out looking brand new when he's done.

I bought a wheel that was pretty rough to better understand what it would take to refinish it myself. The hardest part thus far seems to be repairing nicks in the fins. I now have a better understanding on why the cost is so high. Mike does a lot of the work by hand and it takes a LOT of time to do a good job.
Old 02-07-2024, 11:31 AM
pop23235
Safety Car

Received 1,028 Likes on 686 Posts

My hat is off to Mike as well. With lots of help from him via advice, I “restored” 13 of these for my personal fleet. Not nearly to the level Mike does, but look great to me even close up. Two needed more than I was capable of, even the local repair guys, so Mike was kind enough to take them in to do the work I could not get done. He’s so overwhelmed I think he only wants to sell or exchange rather than restore your wheels, but ask him and get a direct answer. And time, I think I’ve been waiting over 6 months for return of the partial work. It takes so much effort, this two will be my last and I would not offer to do others. It literally takes hours and hours on fairly decent wheels without damage. I like having originals, just because. But if I were starting over, repops would be my choice.
Old 02-19-2024, 08:23 PM
Pushed2dmax
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for all the help.

I did call Harbor Auto restorations in Rockledge Florida. They were easy to get ahold of. They were familiar with the wheels, and seemed professional. The pricing seemed reasonable too. It would be interesting to know if the end result would stack up against Zamora’s.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking to get a set of Kelsey KO’s restored….

Quick Reply: Looking to get a set of Kelsey KO’s restored….