C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] ‘65 sitting outside in NJ on rte 46

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2024, 03:07 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

About forty years ago there was a local guy buying up every 55 and 56 Ford thunderbird and 55 and 56 Ford Sunliner convertibles and Crown Victoria's that he could find and just storing them in an outside lot at his house with black plastic covers held down on the ground with cement blocks making it like a greenhouse under there holding in the moisture. They may as well been buried in the ground . Many approached him but he just got a charge out of telling them NO ! He never planned to do anything with them .Sadly most of them are still there with the torn covers still on them . The original guy died a few years ago and it looks like the family sold a couple of them but most are still there . It would make me too sick to ever see the covers taken off of them .
Old 02-06-2024, 05:23 PM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,759 Likes on 820 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by JohnnyRay
Sad what's become of Minneapolis...and Minnesota for that matter. Grew up there. We're out...
There are still many areas of Minnesota that are outstanding. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water....
Old 02-06-2024, 09:33 PM
JohnnyRay
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Hampton
There are still many areas of Minnesota that are outstanding. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water....
Agreed. I lived in Afton for many years - and had access to some of the best driving roads in the country. But you know what I'm talking about. And what Vettechallenger was referencing as well...
Old 02-06-2024, 09:43 PM
Bally
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by bj1k
About forty years ago there was a local guy buying up every 55 and 56 Ford thunderbird and 55 and 56 Ford Sunliner convertibles and Crown Victoria's that he could find and just storing them in an outside lot at his house with black plastic covers held down on the ground with cement blocks making it like a greenhouse under there holding in the moisture. They may as well been buried in the ground . Many approached him but he just got a charge out of telling them NO ! He never planned to do anything with them .Sadly most of them are still there with the torn covers still on them . The original guy died a few years ago and it looks like the family sold a couple of them but most are still there . It would make me too sick to ever see the covers taken off of them .
A very expensive form of hoarding. Hard to understand...
Old 02-06-2024, 09:56 PM
Vettechallenger
Heel & Toe

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

My car was stolen and recovered about a week later when it was involved as part of a shop lifting arrest of two meth heads at a large shopping mall in the metro area. The individual who they had on video driving my car has a multi-page long wrap sheet involving multiple other car thefts, drug arrests, shop lifting and on and on and on. My car was trashed inside and contaminated with Fentanyl, and other drugs. There was other damage caused by some “Off Roading” as well as someone taking joy in writing on the leather with ink pens, and poking holes in the leather. I was never once contacted by anyone from the criminal justice system. When I called the Hennepin County District Attorney to find out about any attempts to prosecute them all I ever got was the run around. Eventually I found out about a court date where they were to appear in court for a different crime totally separate from my car theft. Prior to the court date 5he drugged out car thief was bailed out by an organization called “The Minnesota Freedom Fund” which is an organization that posts bond for people who can’t other wise get bail. Guess what, they skipped out on their bail and failed to appear. Who would of thought that would ever happen? In the end, the charges for being in possession of a stolen car, multiple drug charges were dropped. The felony shop lifting charge resulted in 3 years probation. I got zero justice.
Old 02-06-2024, 11:53 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,011 Likes on 2,529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

The drugged out car thief was bailed out by an organization called “The Minnesota Freedom Fund” which is an organization that posts bond for people who can’t other wise get bail.
Not trying to get this moved to PR&C but it's a risk I'll take. That fund is part of the National Bail Fund Network, which reportedly is run by Community Justice Exchange which "is working towards a world without prisons, policing, prosecution, surveillance or any form of detention or supervision". In other words, no consequences for anything anybody does, anything goes.

And that exchange is an "Inspire Change" partner group of and has received funding from - the National Football League. Which is why I no longer watch any NFL games even though I love football.

Keeping it Corvette related, the more of this stuff we have, the greater the risk of something bad happening to our cars. Be vigilant, be cautious, be a bit paranoid even. Lock them up, put in one or more anti-theft devices, and keep your insurance up to date. It's sad we have to think this way, but it's reality.
The following users liked this post:
ptjsk (02-07-2024)
Old 02-07-2024, 08:26 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,066 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
most if not all body repair or resto shops leave cars sit out side before or doing work.
Originally Posted by Bally
Usually those cars are already pretty rough.
Not always and not at all shops. I don't know about where you are, but here in New Jersey I know of a number of Corvette and collector car dealers and restoration shops that always have a yard full of nice cars.

There's a fairly well known Corvette shop not far from me that has 10-15 customer's cars stored outside at any time, all years and many have been out there for quite a while. Another (recently closed) Corvette dealer and repair shop here in South Jersey usually had customer cars and cars for sale stored outside.
Old 02-07-2024, 11:11 AM
v8rx7com
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Bally
A very expensive form of hoarding. Hard to understand...
I know someone who owns a 1967 Camaro that she has had parked outside of her place since the 1990's.

She has had countless people ask her if she wants to sell the car over the years.

I doubt she will ever have the means to restore it .... but I also know she will never sell it.

Why?

She just enjoys "saying" that she owns a 1967 Camaro.

Old 02-07-2024, 12:00 PM
bg725
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 28 Posts

My neighbors have 66 roadster in their garage that hasn't been driven in over 30 years, it's usually used as a shelf. It has a teak wheel that I have tried to purchase so i can put it in my 65 but they won't even consider it. They're filthy rich with no kids, they don't need the money and it will probably go as part of their estate, both are in their mid 70s.. The car is actually hers, she bought it in the 70s, she has neuropathy in her feet, quit driving many years ago so there it sits. They also have a set of side exhaust, still in the GM boxes, won't sell that either. At one of their parties someone tried to open the hood, it isn't fastened so it slid dowe between the radiator and nose, put a helluva scratch in it. And so it goes.
Bally (02-08-2024)
Old 02-07-2024, 01:25 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

So far, nobody has figured out a way to take them with us when we go. Yet apparently people still keep hoping....
Bally (02-08-2024)
Old 02-07-2024, 02:53 PM
marshal135
Safety Car

Received 813 Likes on 456 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Another war story, When I was first interested in getting into a classic corvette back in the late 90's early 2000 ish era, I saw a yellow 65 or 66 sitting outside a repair shop in upstate NY.
The shop had been cutting the grass around the car. It looked ok not great but worth an inquire.
I asked my brother-in-law about it, and he said I know the guy let's take a ride over and ask.
We got to the repair shop and asked the shop owner about it. He said someone dropped it off for repair and never returned, presumed dead.
I asked if I could run with the info on the registration and follow up. He was not too keen on giving that info to me.
Just another car to him.
There it sat.
Marshal
Bally (02-08-2024)
Old 02-07-2024, 07:01 PM
polo91
Drifting

Received 1,035 Likes on 484 Posts

Yea, sit it on the dirt, ground gets wet, moisture evaporates, water vapor collects under the cover, basically stays wet year round. It would be better off sitting on the street uncovered. When someone finally inherits that car, they will be some disappointed that it's not worth six figures.
Old 02-07-2024, 07:33 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

marshal135 (02-08-2024)
Old 02-07-2024, 09:02 PM
ole80grit
4th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bj1k
I pass them cars all the time. What a waste of cars, I'm sure none of them are even decent parts cars at this point. Years ago, I thought of stopping and asking about them but had heard the same thing that he will not sell them.

Quick Reply: [C2] ‘65 sitting outside in NJ on rte 46