C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Corvette museum closing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2024, 09:34 AM
ericisback
Pro

Received 244 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Corvette museum closing?

Is it true that starting Monday the Corvette Museum, in Bowling Green, KY will be closed indefinitely?

Popular Reply

02-04-2024, 09:49 AM
Tom Austin
Melting Slicks

Received 1,963 Likes on 665 Posts

The museum says the plant tours are on pause due to manufacturing advancements.

. . . translation . . . they'll be building a new model that they don't want anybody to see just yet!
Old 02-04-2024, 09:39 AM
jforb
Pro

Received 525 Likes on 205 Posts

No, just the plant tours.

https://www.wnky.com/national-corvet...urther-notice/
The following users liked this post:
TCKT B8 (02-06-2024)
Old 02-04-2024, 09:49 AM
Tom Austin
Melting Slicks

The museum says the plant tours are on pause due to manufacturing advancements.

. . . translation . . . they'll be building a new model that they don't want anybody to see just yet!
The following 8 users liked this post by Tom Austin:
CorvetteMikeB (02-04-2024), dahogan (02-04-2024), Falcon05Dad (02-04-2024), marshal135 (02-04-2024), ptjsk (02-05-2024), SonnyAK (02-05-2024), TCKT B8 (02-06-2024), tvtommy (02-11-2024) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-04-2024, 11:16 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,565 Likes on 2,164 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

ZR1 test mules, to be part of the Captured test fleet will be built for the engineers to flog before they will be built for customers. They'll be spotted in camo over the coming months.
marshal135 (02-04-2024)
Old 02-04-2024, 03:21 PM
ericisback
Pro

Originally Posted by jforb
Got it. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 02-04-2024, 04:01 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,651 Likes on 2,359 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Perhaps rearranging/making room for the eray and it's components...
Old 02-04-2024, 05:13 PM
Tom Austin
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ruxvette
Perhaps rearranging/making room for the eray and it's components...
NOPE! . . . they've been building some eray's for a few weeks now, they'll all still in quality containment at this point though. It's time for the ZR1 now . . .
Old 02-04-2024, 06:54 PM
Vettechallenger
Heel & Toe

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I’ve been to the Corvette Museum a number of times and have always enjoyed the time spent there. On one trip through the area I took the time to take the plant tour. The tour was interesting but I was left with a bad impression because we were directed to park in this remote parking lot far from the tour entry door and general parking because at the time we were not driving a GM brand automobile. Talk about a missed opportunity to win over or treat

I mean why would you punish someone who’s taking the time to admire a product you are manufacturing for sale, and maybe does in fact own a Corvette or other GM model, which I did at the time, but doesn’t happen to be driving it the day you visit the plant?

Does anyone know if they still are directing non GM cars to the outer fringe parking lot?
Old 02-04-2024, 07:03 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,651 Likes on 2,359 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Tom Austin
NOPE! . . . they've been building some eray's for a few weeks now, they'll all still in quality containment at this point though. It's time for the ZR1 now . . .
Where is this 'quality containment' area? Are you saying the erays being built now are, or are not, coming down the assembly line?
Old 02-04-2024, 07:14 PM
Subfixer
POSSE ZR-1 Driver
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 105 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettechallenger
I’ve been to the Corvette Museum a number of times and have always enjoyed the time spent there. On one trip through the area I took the time to take the plant tour. The tour was interesting but I was left with a bad impression because we were directed to park in this remote parking lot far from the tour entry door and general parking because at the time we were not driving a GM brand automobile. Talk about a missed opportunity to win over or treat

I mean why would you punish someone who’s taking the time to admire a product you are manufacturing for sale, and maybe does in fact own a Corvette or other GM model, which I did at the time, but doesn’t happen to be driving it the day you visit the plant?

Does anyone know if they still are directing non GM cars to the outer fringe parking lot?
I was there last October and had to park in the back 40......
Old 02-04-2024, 07:45 PM
Tom Austin
Melting Slicks

Where is this 'quality containment' area? Are you saying the erays being built now are, or are not, coming down the assembly line?
The "quality containment" area is a lot beside the plant. That's where they do final quality checks before they release them for shipment to the dealers.
Old 02-04-2024, 07:49 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 547 Likes on 315 Posts

If visiting the Corvette Museum is on the docket definitely take in the GM factory tour in addition when the tour reopens.
Though taking pictures is not allowed inside the factory the tour is worth seeing and experiencing. So many interesting production and related things to see. Line worker attire is pretty casual. One gal was wearing cut offs!
All sub assembly frames on the production line earmark a 2024 Corvette that been ordered and paid for.

I was there in October. And yes, non GM, Ford, or Chrysler vehicles are verboten in the parking lot closest to main facility entrance. I got a big chuckle seeing and reading the signs!
Just have to park a couple of lots over is all.

John

Last edited by mrg; 02-04-2024 at 07:57 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mrg:
Rick67 (02-05-2024), vetintheblood (02-07-2024)
Old 02-05-2024, 03:06 PM
boxster99t
Burning Brakes

Received 248 Likes on 178 Posts

Or, if you opt for the factory delivery, you get the best parking spot imaginable and your name in lights! A really fun day with my (then new) C7.

Old 02-05-2024, 03:43 PM
ericisback
Pro

Originally Posted by boxster99t
Or, if you opt for the factory delivery, you get the best parking spot imaginable and your name in lights! A really fun day with my (then new) C7.
Well…. that’s pretty cool!
Old 02-05-2024, 09:17 PM
vettefred
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 251 Likes on 156 Posts

Pretty standard with GM. In 1977 I went to work for Olds/Lansing Mi in their Service engineering area in the Administration building. Having worked at Ford prior to, I was driving my Ford Country Squire Wagon. I was told that a non GM vehicle would have to park in lot C or D. That was about three blocks from my building. It only took one winter and I was convinced to purchase a brand new Toronado. I was now able to park in Lot A right across from the Administration Building.....a very short walk and a heck of an upgrade from the Ford wagon.. - Fred
ToySnakePMC (02-06-2024)
Old 02-05-2024, 11:27 PM
Vettechallenger
Heel & Toe

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Based on the photos of the signage they have changed their tune to include Ford and Chrysler products. When I took the tour only GM cars were allowed to park in the area closer to the entry door.
Old 02-09-2024, 08:44 PM
66sixtaillights
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

perhaps rearranging/making room for the eray and it's components...
hhhhhiiiiiiisssssssss!

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette museum closing?

Quick Reply: Corvette museum closing?