C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] Windshield header moulding install

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2024, 05:14 PM
bob68
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Windshield header moulding install

I need some help in trying to install the windshield top header moulding on my 57. I’ve been trying for hours to try and get the ends of the stainless to clip over the top of the windshield posts. Is there a easy way?
Bob

Last edited by bob68; 01-22-2024 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Forgot to put year of car
Old 01-22-2024, 07:44 PM
thoyer
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 361 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by bob68
I need some help in trying to install the windshield top header moulding on my 57. I’ve been trying for hours to try and get the ends of the stainless to clip over the top of the windshield posts. Is there a easy way?
Bob
I've done a couple of these and yes, they can be a PIA. If the posts have been rechromed, the plating build up may hinder you. Did you test fit them to the stainless first without the windshield installed?

I have had to resort to the gentle use of a rubber mallet. A second set of hands may help as well. Make sure the gasket is seated and the header is aligned with the post, then the top "should" fit with some persuasion.

Also, as counterintuitive as it may seem, squeeze the ends before trying to install, that way they are tight to the post once in place.

In theory, it should clip right on, I'm surprised when they do, but as you are finding out sometimes the theory is wrong.........

Good luck

Tom
Old 01-22-2024, 09:05 PM
reno stallion
Melting Slicks

Received 1,531 Likes on 809 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I had to get pretty aggressive with the one on my 58

Old 01-23-2024, 09:05 AM
bob68
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the replies, I assume you have the windshield posts screwed down and in position. I loosened off the windshield post screws tapped them back so that I could install the stainless header and will try to tap the windshield posts back . Has anybody tried this?

Get notified of new replies

To Windshield header moulding install

Quick Reply: [C1] Windshield header moulding install