C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Front Parking Lights and Turn Signal Lights Working Backwards g ds

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2024, 07:26 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Default Problem Solved

The problem has been solved.
Old 02-07-2024, 07:36 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,236 Likes on 2,312 Posts

Originally Posted by bj1k
I spent a lot of time explaining and composing pictures and trying to help you. I hope you don't intend on leaving it at that.
The following 2 users liked this post by 65GGvert:
DZVette (02-07-2024), leif.anderson93 (02-07-2024)
Old 02-07-2024, 07:48 PM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,133 Likes on 1,877 Posts

Originally Posted by bj1k
And, the solution was??????????
Old 02-07-2024, 08:49 PM
kts1962
Pro

Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by bj1k;[url=tel:1607504930
1607504930[/url]]The problem has been solved.
can you tell us more about the source of the problem and how you fixed it ????

posterity can benefit from your hard work
Old 02-07-2024, 10:51 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
I spent a lot of time explaining and composing pictures and trying to help you. I hope you don't intend on leaving it at that.
No No , I had to leave the garage quickly something came up so just got on her to explain and had to leave . I never did actually find out what the problem was but I did think about how to make it work . I didn't want to cut the wires on the new parking lights but I knew if I switched the wires somehow in the sockets it would work and you can't switch the wires in the sockets without cutting the wires , so I cut the ends off of my old wiring harnesses with the plastic plug ends and left a couple inches of wire on them , added spade terminal ends on them creating an adapter so I could just plug one end into the new front harness and the other end into the new parking lights while crossing the purple and blue wires when I plugged it in . I felt like Bubba on this one but didn't know if I would ever actually find the problem . I even talked to the Tech guy at Lectric Limited and explained everything that we talked about and he said that the only thing it could be was the turn signal switch or the light switch but they were both new also and it did the same thing even with the old parts . I do appreciate your help and wouldn't stop without a thank you. You are always quick to respond .
Old 02-07-2024, 11:50 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,236 Likes on 2,312 Posts

I’m really happy you got it fixed, but the guy was wrong on both counts. Neither one of those two things can do what symptoms you had. The way you fixed it is fine and will work well. But the problem had to be miswired sockets. I don’t care if they were new or not. Possibly the bakelite assembly inside sockets was rotated, so that the wrong nubs were touching on the bulb. The odds that you had two wiring harnesses, the new and original with the same three wires switched are astronomical. You should really feel good that you were able to get a weird problem like this resolved. Not many people would notice which filament lights up as long as the lights work so it could’ve been like this all along.
Old 02-08-2024, 09:27 AM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
I’m really happy you got it fixed, but the guy was wrong on both counts. Neither one of those two things can do what symptoms you had. The way you fixed it is fine and will work well. But the problem had to be miswired sockets. I don’t care if they were new or not. Possibly the bakelite assembly inside sockets was rotated, so that the wrong nubs were touching on the bulb. The odds that you had two wiring harnesses, the new and original with the same three wires switched are astronomical. You should really feel good that you were able to get a weird problem like this resolved. Not many people would notice which filament lights up as long as the lights work so it could’ve been like this all along.
I have been thinking the same thing that it was like this when I bought the car and when I check lights I always have my wife check while I run through the lights so she would say they are working not knowing to tell me something looked wrong . I have seen a lot over the years , but this strange problem I will always wonder about . But at least it is working fine and it won't hurt a thing . The adapters aren't even visible so if someone is concerned about originality it looks stock . Who knows, this could show up again in more Corvettes. Thanks again for your help.

Quick Reply: [C2] Front Parking Lights and Turn Signal Lights Working Backwards g ds