C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] need help with wiring

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2024, 10:09 PM
1967_ 327 3 speed
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with wiring

hello all, I was wondering where to start if I don't have power on my fuse brick for my panel lamps, radio, and heater. But I have power on backup lamps, gauges, clock lights, ctsy lights but only some of my gauges work, nothing on the center console besides the blower. The only gauges that work on my dash are speed, oil psi and coolant temp. all buttons on the bottom of the dash work I have checked the common grounds but I don't know too much on these cars and I wanted to get into a forum and see what other people have to say. I know this was a lot at once but any help is appreciated. thank you!
Old 01-17-2024, 10:33 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 832 Likes on 576 Posts

Check the bulkhead plug on the fire wall under the master cylinder...make sure both are plugged in
Old 01-17-2024, 11:01 PM
1967_ 327 3 speed
4th Gear

Originally Posted by 66jack
Check the bulkhead plug on the fire wall under the master cylinder...make sure both are plugged in
yes, I have checked those and none of the pins are corroded and pugged in tight
Old 01-17-2024, 11:07 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 832 Likes on 576 Posts

Check these links about the 'RED WIRE'...power to connector

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...connector.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ng-me-mad.html
Old 01-17-2024, 11:53 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,232 Likes on 2,309 Posts

If the blower works, you do have voltage on the heater fuse. And if your backup lights work, the fuse for gauges is good, it's the same fuse. Maybe you're not getting a good ground with your meter? You won't have any voltage on the inst panel lamp fuse unless the lights are on and the dimmer in the headlight switch is rotated counter clockwise (just before the click that turns on the courtesy lamps. You may have multiple problems, OR not.
Make a list of exactly what works and what doesn't and post back your lists and maybe I can tie something together. The oil pressure gauge is mechanical and works with no electricity when the engine is running. The tach and speedometer are mechanical. The temp gauge and fuel gauge are on the same fuse (gauges) and as I said, the b/u lamps. The battery gauge works key on or key off and is not fused. Include tail lights (they are separate from the brake lamps), turn signals (key on), brake lights (key on or key off, they should work when you press pedal), but they are on the same fuse as the courtesy lamps and clock, so you can eliminate a fuse if they work. By buttons on the lower part of dash, what buttons to you mean? (headlight rollover?) You may have some corrosion on the fuse clips or on the wires behind the fuse box, but do the lists first. It sounds like at least most of your fuses are fine.
List things that work: List things that don't work:

Old 01-18-2024, 07:53 PM
1967_ 327 3 speed
4th Gear

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
If the blower works, you do have voltage on the heater fuse. And if your backup lights work, the fuse for gauges is good, it's the same fuse. Maybe you're not getting a good ground with your meter? You won't have any voltage on the inst panel lamp fuse unless the lights are on and the dimmer in the headlight switch is rotated counter clockwise (just before the click that turns on the courtesy lamps. You may have multiple problems, OR not.
Make a list of exactly what works and what doesn't and post back your lists and maybe I can tie something together. The oil pressure gauge is mechanical and works with no electricity when the engine is running. The tach and speedometer are mechanical. The temp gauge and fuel gauge are on the same fuse (gauges) and as I said, the b/u lamps. The battery gauge works key on or key off and is not fused. Include tail lights (they are separate from the brake lamps), turn signals (key on), brake lights (key on or key off, they should work when you press pedal), but they are on the same fuse as the courtesy lamps and clock, so you can eliminate a fuse if they work. By buttons on the lower part of dash, what buttons to you mean? (headlight rollover?) You may have some corrosion on the fuse clips or on the wires behind the fuse box, but do the lists first. It sounds like at least most of your fuses are fine.
List things that work: List things that don't work:
I put my test light back on the fuse brick and everything besides the panel lamps have power. My fan stopped working, it wasn’t working but it randomly started working. Anyway, it’s back to not working.
things that work:
Running lights, fog lights, hi beams, courtesy lights
wiper clicks when I press the button, so I’m not too sure about that. The cigarette lighter works and the headlights dim when I push the button but they don’t go up. I tried to move the headlight motors by hand and they won’t move so I’m thinking they’re stuck
the blinkers work but the horn does not
Old 01-18-2024, 09:03 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

You've got way too much going on there to troubleshoot over the net. Unrelated circuit issues. They also do not have fog lights, so I assume you are thinking parking lights. You're going to have to find some hands on help.
Old 01-18-2024, 09:12 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 1967_ 327 3 speed
I put my test light back on the fuse brick and everything besides the panel lamps have power. My fan stopped working, it wasn’t working but it randomly started working. Anyway, it’s back to not working.
things that work:
Running lights, fog lights, hi beams, courtesy lights
wiper clicks when I press the button, so I’m not too sure about that. The cigarette lighter works and the headlights dim when I push the button but they don’t go up. I tried to move the headlight motors by hand and they won’t move so I’m thinking they’re stuck
the blinkers work but the horn does not
Another thing: The headlight motors go up when you pull the button, not when you push it. Pushing it rolls them down and they are already down.
They won't move by hand. There is a wheel you can turn (many turns to move even slightly on the inborn side of each bucket, but forget that for now. Forcing them by hand can do damage.
The horn is not fused, it runs off the battery connection coming up from the starter.
The dimmer switch for the headlights is on the floor to the left.

You really need to find a club or owner interested in helping you learn about the workings wherever you are located, which you didn't say.

Old 01-18-2024, 09:33 PM
1967_ 327 3 speed
4th Gear

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Another thing: The headlight motors go up when you pull the button, not when you push it. Pushing it rolls them down and they are already down.
They won't move by hand. There is a wheel you can turn (many turns to move even slightly on the inborn side of each bucket, but forget that for now. Forcing them by hand can do damage.
The horn is not fused, it runs off the battery connection coming up from the starter.
The dimmer switch for the headlights is on the floor to the left.

You really need to find a club or owner interested in helping you learn about the workings wherever you are located, which you didn't say.
yes, I pulled the button and rolled the wheel on the headlight motors. thank you for your time, and if anyone knows someone in the New York area it would be much appreciated with some information.
Old 01-20-2024, 03:11 PM
DSR
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 93 Posts

Some times in old cars you will get a bad connection between the fuse and the fuse holder. Use a test light connected to a good solid ground and check for voltage on BOTH SIDES of the fuses. This is also a check of the fuse itself. I think you will need to turn on the ignition to power up all the fuses.

Get notified of new replies

To need help with wiring

Quick Reply: [C2] need help with wiring