C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Clock Repair ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2024, 03:00 PM
banph
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 62 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Winner -- Unmodified

Default Clock Repair ?

I was wondering if any members have ever fixed or Increased the stationary contact in the 67 clock mechanism? I took my clock apart and Put it on the bench and moved the spring side of the contact and the clock works flawlessly. When it hits the stationary contact and I have 12 volt power attached it springs forward as designed. My issue is when i let it stop without the power attached and then try to restart the clock with power attached it will not spring forward from a standing stop. Its most likely the contact area on the stationary side. I watched a YouTube video of a guy who fixed it but im not a clock maker and do not have that equipment or talent to add a new contact like he did. Any of you have any experience or recommendations other that send it out for repair?

Thanks
Ed

Popular Reply

01-02-2024, 04:18 PM
Augie66
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by banph
I was wondering if any members have ever fixed or Increased the stationary contact in the 67 clock mechanism? I took my clock apart and Put it on the bench and moved the spring side of the contact and the clock works flawlessly. When it hits the stationary contact and I have 12 volt power attached it springs forward as designed. My issue is when i let it stop without the power attached and then try to restart the clock with power attached it will not spring forward from a standing stop. Its most likely the contact area on the stationary side. I watched a YouTube video of a guy who fixed it but im not a clock maker and do not have that equipment or talent to add a new contact like he did. Any of you have any experience or recommendations other that send it out for repair?

Thanks
Ed

Many years ago, the clock in my '65 stopped working. I removed the clock from the dash and then took the rear cover off. You could clearly see the clock contacts were worn down..

I then found a set of small ignition points, removed those contacts and soldered them onto the worn clock contacts. The clock has worked without issue since that time.
Old 01-02-2024, 04:18 PM
Augie66
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by banph

Thanks
Ed

Many years ago, the clock in my '65 stopped working. I removed the clock from the dash and then took the rear cover off. You could clearly see the clock contacts were worn down..

I then found a set of small ignition points, removed those contacts and soldered them onto the worn clock contacts. The clock has worked without issue since that time.
The following 6 users liked this post by Augie66:
66Vett (01-02-2024), mblake101 (01-02-2024), mike coletta (01-02-2024), Nalrops (01-02-2024), rayvaflav (01-02-2024), seb67 (01-03-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-02-2024, 08:12 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,187 Posts

You can get repair kits to replace the internal mechanism, both original style mechanical points and newer technology quartz electronic module. Both are fairly easy to replace; the most difficult part is removing and replacing the clock in the dash board.

The difference is that the quartz movement is a constant sweep of the second hand as compared to the incremental movement of the mechanical points. If you have everything else in the car original and want to have it judged stay with the points. Otherwise go with the quartz movement.

Thats what I did when I rebuilt my clock over 30 years ago. That quartz movement has worked flawlessly ever since.
The following users liked this post:
polo91 (01-03-2024)
Old 01-03-2024, 03:19 PM
banph
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 62 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Winner -- Unmodified

I"m going to change the movement to Quartz. I'm thinking of buying one from Instrument Services, Inc. They sell for about $90. I already have the clock apart with the face and hands off. I watched their video and looks easy. Any reviews on this vendor?

Thanks
Ed
The following users liked this post:
carl3989 (01-05-2024)
Old 01-03-2024, 03:32 PM
elwood13
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,895 Likes on 1,083 Posts

I purchased a quartz kit from them last year with no issues.
Old 01-03-2024, 06:14 PM
1969RAY
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 114 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

The clocks in both my '69 and '63 just needed the dust blown out and a touch of WD40 to start running again. They both seem to gain time after the treatment but because I regularly disconnect the batteries, it's just for show. I also sealed the works with silicone to keep the dust out.
Old 01-04-2024, 08:13 AM
watson
Burning Brakes

Received 414 Likes on 176 Posts

I switched to new quartz clocks in both my 65 and 67 and they have been great. The older one in my 67 does sweep rather than tick. The newer one in my 65 actually ticks just like the old mechanical clock. I heard a guy explaining how to tell the difference between the original clock and a new quartz clock. His answer was great. He said just look at the time. If it is correct, it is a quartz. Both new clocks cost less than a restoration on my old clocks and I still have the originals just in case I come down with NCRS disease.
The following 2 users liked this post by watson:
1969RAY (01-04-2024), carl3989 (01-05-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To Clock Repair ?

Quick Reply: [C2] Clock Repair ?