C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Enclosed trailer for the C2 feedback

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2023, 12:10 AM
Rich Yanulis
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by 69ttop502
I have been towing a car for 25 years without an escape door and have never had a problem.
You will be fine without it.
Originally Posted by tvtommy
How on earth do you squeeze out of the drivers side door?
Is everyone here rail thin?
I also have been towing for years without an escape door.

I am an overweight, old man...........the driver's door opens enough to get in and out of the car.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rich Yanulis:
SamEYEam (12-07-2023), tvtommy (12-07-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 12:48 AM
SamEYEam
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Dad's '66 427
Congrats on the trailer purchase, and good luck on your trip...... between this thread and the other, many have provided very valuable advice, especially the ones above about checking to make sure the d-rings are attached to structure, and not just through the plywood floor.....

Only things I could add, after a gazillion miles of transporting race cars all over this country is:

- Stop and check your straps, and make sure everything is good after your first bit of driving..... things do shift and may loosen, check them and tighten them up......
- On the trailer tires..... I would get your spare so that it is the same size as the ones on the trailer..... also, if the spare has a different type of wheel, make sure you have the correct lug nuts, make sure your have sockets for both types, and make sure they fit and work..... while you are working on the possible new spare, ask the tire folks about the size tires that are on the trailer, and see if they are a fairly common size, and hopefully a size that is often stocked...... last thing you want to do is have to leave a trailer with a couple of flat tires on the side of the highway while you are trying to find tires.....
- Make sure you have a jack to jack up the trailer, and that it is accessible..... If you have a tire problem, you will want to be able to get it fixed and back on the road as soon and easily as possible......
- When you get everything loaded, make sure everything is tied down and secured..... from the note from your son on the other thread, it sound like that will not be a problem.....
- Lastly.... if you are not as familiar with towing a trailer, hook it up and drive it around..... pay attention to turns, and just how much you need to allow for to get around corners, and tight corners, and not be up on the curb, and damaging wheels and tires..... check also with driving in and out of parking lots, gas stations, etc. and the slopes of some approaches and drive aisles.... you do not want to be dragging the back of the trailer....
- Lastly, lastly..... it looks to be a nice trailer, and it looks to be well taken care of, but it may not be a bad idea to check, or ask the PO when the wheel bearings were last packed..... probably overkill, but if one of those goes bad, there is not a quick and easy fix......

Again, good luck, and enjoy the journey......
Great list! Thanks This hits a bunch of good points and echos in threads below it or related items!
I did check the Drings in the trailer. I had looked at some where there was a mixed bag of plywood bolted and some bolted to a plate.
Addressed the spare, check.
I have a jiffy jack you pull or back the good tire onto to raise the bad one. If necessary, I could probably use the truck jack.
I'll be checking straps early and often given my concern about it shifting. I do this with my chain binders when moving tractor. Usually after some snugging up early on the ride seems to settle in, but always good to recheck which I do at each stop. This load and trailer will take a bit more time than my open utility trailer but well worth it. Besides moving around doing this will give my back a break from driving. I have been known to stop and shift the load if it feels bumper heavy or to far back. A fish tailing trailer isn't fun! Fortunately, this trailer and load is far lighter than what I have pulled on the equipment trailer and camper.
Good idea on checking the lug nuts against my lug wrench. I have a star or cross lug wrench with 4 different size sockets, but need to verify they will fit.
Spare bolts in nose of trailer next to winch and easily accessible from side door. Jiffy jack will be in the bed of the truck next to tailgate under the tonneau cover. I hate seeing people on the side of the road digging all the stuff out of a car trunk or SUV to get to the spare and jack, sad.
Well, as I age the need to double check stuff increases!!
I understand the fear of hitting curbs or other things in tight turning areas or dropping off low shoulders on narrow secondary roads, which I hope to avoid. Stopping for diesel can be a nightmare, not just on the gas cars occupying the diesel pumps when other gas pumps are available, but avoiding getting into an area that is a nightmare to get out! I will need to be more cognizant of this as my unitality trailer is only 18 or 20' and last we pulled the 29-foot camper was years ago.
I did get to drive it some after we picked it up today on an interstate with a cross wind. The torsion axles and radials are so smooth unlike the higher setting leaf springs and biased ply on my utility trailer and the leaf springs on our old camper. I could feel the wind but nowhere like the camper we use to have sitting up high and the camper had sway bar and load transferring hitch. I believe when the weight of the car is added it will be more stable, but I will be paying attention to that. We go up interstate 77 often and after seeing campers on the side of Fancy Gap Mountain near the NC Va boarder it stays with ya. I will also be one of those guys going right at or below the speed limit. I find it less stressful on me and load.
I am sure the first time I need fuel or to make a rest stop I'll be rubber necking to see where to go in and how. That trailer is low in the back! Good for loading, not so much for uneven driveways etc.
Yes, the bearings! I did meet the original owner and he said he'd be surprised if he put much over 200 miles on it since he had it. It is a 2019. My thought is to jack up each wheel using the jiffy jack and spin them to see if the sound smooth. If he is correct on the miles that is pretty low, but it does look like new. The rock guard looks in great shape sides and wheels look good. There is a deep scratch on rear door but that is not from lots of miles and / or abuse.
Thank you for the list and I think some of the concerns may have been repeated/expressed again after your post and hopefully these responses address many of those too!

Last edited by SamEYEam; 12-07-2023 at 01:07 AM.
Old 12-07-2023, 01:26 AM
SamEYEam
Instructor

Originally Posted by 68sixspeed
Nice trailer- depending on what you are towing with a weight distributing hitch and/or sway control is nice. (especially if towing with a 1/2 ton truck)

I'd have extra axle straps, a few long and short sizes, also an extra pair of tie downs just in case. It is handy to have small tie downs and hookups at the front for anything you may put in with the car while towing, nothing like a cooler sliding around hitting the car. Some 4x4 and 6x6 blocks are handy to have. If your trailer doesn't have lighting that isn't too hard to add or just put in some battery powered lights for a closet.

I added a V shaped toolbox to the tongue of my trailer to keep some of the extra stuff in ready to go.

Remember to get the weight balance right and enough weight on the tongue of the trailer or it will be a scary thing to tow.
I did get some extra axle straps in case I damage some though they are all 3'. The trailer has four 8' have ratchet straps that have the triangle ring in the strap where they can be used as an axle strap. I will also carry some 1" and 2" straps with S hooks. I'll take some 2x material and decking style screws to add beside the tires to help control shifting though I'll probably install away from the tire a bit to allow the straps and my adjustments to control side to side but just incase they can act like a bumper for the tire. I hope not to place anything in the trailer with the care and pack stuff under the tonneau cover or in back seat of crew cab.
I like the idea of a tongue 'chain box' and added one to my equipment trailer and it may make the upgrade list. I'll take some extra flashlights as I have not checked the interior lights on this trailer. I hope not to be loading or pulling in the dark!!
I don't fish, no offence to those that do, but I'd rather be a bit tongue heavy than back heavy. I have stopped early in a pull before and addressed fishtailing. I don't like trying to control using the manual brake controller slide.
Old 12-07-2023, 01:35 AM
SamEYEam
Instructor

Originally Posted by chollopeter
Sam--
Another thought on an upgrade since you also intend to use it for storage: A couple roof mounted solar powered vent fans, about $40 on Amazon. I used an enclosed trailer for several years as a "garage" for my Harley in Central Alabama with 2 of these fans on the roof and never had a problem with condensation or excessive heat, not air conditioning by a long shot but they worked well and used no power. You could use a solar charger for your deep cycle. I would also recommend LED interior lighting, they would run almost forever from your deep cycle.
Best,
Carl H
Interesting Idea on solar powered fans when storing stuff. I avoided black trailers for just this purpose. The solar back up for battery charging may also make the upgrade list of possibilities.
Your post also reminded me of some battery powered closet lights I have that I can add to the go box for sticking up as needed. My check list and things to round up grows.
Old 12-07-2023, 01:44 AM
SamEYEam
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rich Yanulis
I also have been towing for years without an escape door.

I am an overweight, old man...........the driver's door opens enough to get in and out of the car.
I do believe I could get door open enough to get in and out but I hope the winch will keep that from happening. I plan to pull up to the back of the trailer and center as best I can on a chalk line yet to be snapped, goes on the to do list. I then attach winch and pull it in with axle straps on lower control arms. I should easily be able to steer the steering wheel slight turns to center while winch cools and continue this process until in correct position and attach ratchet straps. This will be aided I believe by parking facing up hill or raising bumper jack enough to keep car from freewheeling..
Old 12-07-2023, 09:35 AM
watson
Burning Brakes

Received 414 Likes on 176 Posts

Do you have the hooks that go into the frame slots where the tie downs attach? I believe that GM used the same thing when shipping cars back then. They go into slots at the front of the frame rail and at the rear frame kick up. They keep the tie downs low and they avoid putting a lot of stress on suspension parts etc.
The following users liked this post:
SamEYEam (12-07-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 04:46 PM
pop23235
Safety Car

Received 1,028 Likes on 686 Posts

No one mentioned “Bearing Buddy” for wheel bearings. Save repacking bearings if you have good seals.
SamEYEam (12-07-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 08:39 PM
SamEYEam
Instructor

Originally Posted by watson
Do you have the hooks that go into the frame slots where the tie downs attach? I believe that GM used the same thing when shipping cars back then. They go into slots at the front of the frame rail and at the rear frame kick up. They keep the tie downs low and they avoid putting a lot of stress on suspension parts etc.
I don't have in hand. I have ordered 2 for the rear kick up location and plan to use lower A arms front. I may also add a axle strap to the bottom of the axle shaft brace.

Old 12-07-2023, 08:43 PM
SamEYEam
Instructor

A bit more progress today, I picked up a spare tire with appropriate size and wheel size as appropriate. It is on a white wheel with triangular stampings but it fits! Hopefully it is never seen outside the trailer. I also picked up a new winch battery, group 24. The one in trailer was DOA.

Tomorrow, I hope to pick up trailer after having the winch reinforcement plate added.

Last edited by SamEYEam; 12-07-2023 at 08:49 PM.
bbxlr8 (12-08-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 08:47 PM
SamEYEam
Instructor

Originally Posted by pop23235
No one mentioned “Bearing Buddy” for wheel bearings. Save repacking bearings if you have good seals.
I have not heard to many good things on this. Seems hard to find seals that are good enough to contain the hydraulic pressure of someone over pumping!
Old 12-11-2023, 09:33 PM
SamEYEam
Instructor

A bit behind on this thread info. New battery was mounted in battery box. Chaulk line popped down the middle, Winch plate was installed and the low mileage, but 4-year-old bearings repacked, they needed it!. It has made its maiden voyage of 450 miles to the pick up location. Car is loaded and tomorrow we'll see how it pulls with a load. I will stop after a couple miles to check the load, mostly 2 lane driving. Then interstate for about 10 minutes and exit again to look. My biggest concern at this point is weight distribution for pulling.

I do appreciate the feedback on the trailer and things to do/check.
Old 12-12-2023, 07:48 PM
SamEYEam
Instructor

Things went great today on the 400 and some mile trip. Trailer pulled like a champ, no issues, wish I could say the same for my back!
Old 12-12-2023, 08:06 PM
SamEYEam
Instructor

One great reason for an enclosed trailer, no road debris or salt etc. on the car! Glad I went with it.
Dad's '66 427 (12-13-2023)

Quick Reply: Enclosed trailer for the C2 feedback