C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Possible scam

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2023, 03:09 PM
beatlescott
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Possible scam

Earlier today I responded to an item for sale in the c1 / c2 for sale section. ‘New vintage air for bb ‘66’. I have since been contacted by 2 different individuals claiming to be the seller. Both wanted me to txt them. I contacted the first one who I felt was very aggressive trying to get me to send a deposit. When I got contacted by a second person i checked and both of these people are new members this month.

I felt it was very disheartening to have this happen on this site.
The following users liked this post:
CFight (11-07-2023)
Old 11-06-2023, 03:21 PM
dcamick
Tether Man
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,027 Likes on 1,043 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

This is what I found for you!!!

Report the offending PM or post, all mods get the message on PMs, and the mods that are assigned to the specific forums get a message for reported posts. So to get as many mods' attention,report the PM/Post using the triangle to "Report" the scammer. That will get an APB out to the most mods that can work on the scammer problem and we will have a much quicker response to stop the scammers.

Moderators should react:
"When we get the reports on the scammer, we immediately ban the ID, and an Administrator will search and kill the PMs that have been sent, and the
Admins will notify all of the people that have received a PM from the scammer to hopefully stop any one from dealing with the scammer.

We have no access to the PM messages and need a "Report" to take action on the forum.

Elmer"

From dcamick
The following 2 users liked this post by dcamick:
beatlescott (11-06-2023), CFight (11-07-2023)
Old 11-06-2023, 03:54 PM
Bowtyeguy
Le Mans Master

Received 513 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by beatlescott
Earlier today I responded to an item for sale in the c1 / c2 for sale section. ‘New vintage air for bb ‘66’. I have since been contacted by 2 different individuals claiming to be the seller. Both wanted me to txt them. I contacted the first one who I felt was very aggressive trying to get me to send a deposit. When I got contacted by a second person i checked and both of these people are new members this month.

I felt it was very disheartening to have this happen on this site.
A quick google of the phone number would show you its a scammer
Old 11-06-2023, 04:00 PM
67:72
1967 Pedal Car Champion
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,013 Likes on 1,360 Posts

I'd recommend only communicating through the private message feature of the forum - that way it's a little more assured that you are dealing with the person who posted the ad. Click on "pcnut" name in the left box of the listing to get a dropdown list for sending a private message.

$1700 is a lot of money and the seller has not posted much (37 messages in 17 years) but his profile does give a full name and town/state for further research. You can also see other posts he's made.
beatlescott (11-06-2023)
Old 11-06-2023, 04:06 PM
beatlescott
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Thank you. I have reported them both.
Old 11-06-2023, 04:08 PM
67:72
1967 Pedal Car Champion
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,013 Likes on 1,360 Posts

One more thing: stick to PayPal or the like that offers a guarantee and only purchase this dollar amount as an item/service and not friends & family. Tell the seller you'll reimburse the ~3% credit card fee once you get the items in hand - that way you're covered in the transaction and he receives the entire agreed price (just in two transactions).
beatlescott (11-06-2023)
Old 11-06-2023, 06:50 PM
smacota1
Drifting

Received 381 Likes on 232 Posts

Yep,

The scammers were busy last night. I got a text......"no clue how they got my cell number" with pictures of a fuel pump I told a seller I would take. They were the identical pictures, asking me to venmo the money to him. Good thing I had a back and forth with the real seller right before the scammer sent the pics so I shut it down really quick.

Would love to know how they got my cell # though.
Old 11-07-2023, 12:51 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by smacota1
Yep,

The scammers were busy last night. I got a text......"no clue how they got my cell number" with pictures of a fuel pump I told a seller I would take. They were the identical pictures, asking me to venmo the money to him. Good thing I had a back and forth with the real seller right before the scammer sent the pics so I shut it down really quick.

Would love to know how they got my cell # though.
You use your real name on the internet. Many sites sell your info, and if you do a search some of your data pops up on certain find people sites, to include address and phone numbers. Not much you can do to prevent it.
Old 11-07-2023, 12:56 AM
Daren67
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

I was scammed yesterday on C5 parts Lost 120 . the guys contact info is :

prestonjohnso6584@gmail.com
+1 (702) 800-6244
terry Larkin
ihateapple1221 is PayPal ID
Davidpcruse2@gmail.com is also an id for the guy
i am pissed I fell for it

Last edited by Daren67; 11-07-2023 at 09:49 AM.
Old 11-07-2023, 10:23 AM
OC-1
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 106 Posts

Happened to me last week, Seller prefers PM and I get two emails from some guy who posted all the pics in the seller's ad into the email and wanted me to use paypal.
The guy used gmail address ...".Bnn Tjan "........................

PayPal friends and family works, let me know and I’ll send my PayPal over

Also send me the name and address for shipping here also

Thank you!"

Reported to mods. Also made no sense as I wasn't shipping anything anywhere.

Get notified of new replies

To Possible scam

Quick Reply: Possible scam