C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Tire Changing in N Illinois

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2023, 12:18 PM
DonBond
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Tire Changing in N Illinois

Going to put some redlines on my KO wheels and am looking for a QUALITY shop that can do this simple job without screwing up my wheels. Anyone in the chain o' lakes area have any recommendations?
Old 10-30-2023, 12:26 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,989 Likes on 4,808 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

With all the modern cars having 18 to 20" wheels that are fragile just about any tire shop has the tools and know how to mount tires with out damaging anything
The following users liked this post:
White Out (10-31-2023)
Old 10-30-2023, 12:47 PM
KingRat
Drifting

Received 868 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by DonBond
Going to put some redlines on my KO wheels and am looking for a QUALITY shop that can do this simple job without screwing up my wheels. Anyone in the chain o' lakes area have any recommendations?
Try calling Lou at Corvette City in Highland Park.

https://www.corvettecityllc.com/
Old 10-30-2023, 01:12 PM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Received 3,128 Likes on 1,874 Posts

If you have a local Discount Tire or NTB (National Tire and Battery)...they have the modern equipment to accomplish this for you. They, also, have the Hunter Road Force balancers to fine tune the balance of your new combo.
Discount Tire (10-30-2023)
Old 10-30-2023, 02:37 PM
sunflower 1972
Drifting

Received 539 Likes on 365 Posts

What about these guys, they should be right in your back yard:https://www.studiohotrods.com/
Old 10-30-2023, 03:01 PM
SupremeDeluxe
Safety Car

Received 849 Likes on 475 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Tire Service in Elk Grove Village does all mine and those of many others here. He will be doing the original KH knock offs on my 63 soon.

(847) 640-8019
tommyn (10-31-2023)
Old 10-30-2023, 04:00 PM
ChrisBlair
Melting Slicks

Received 999 Likes on 504 Posts

While I do certainly agree that the tech to perform the job correctly is now so common and widespread that the ability to do the job can be found almost anywhere, I don't believe that DonBond is concerned about any technical limitations

I strongly believe that instead, he wants to know which shops might be superior to others in terms of care and workmanship. In other words, where can he go for a service provider that gives a good god-damn, instead of having to settle for the multitude of shops that have rightly earned a reputation of counting on getting away with the owner not noticing any damage.
DonBond (10-31-2023)
Old 10-30-2023, 06:13 PM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ChrisBlair
While I do certainly agree that the tech to perform the job correctly is now so common and widespread that the ability to do the job can be found almost anywhere, I don't believe that DonBond is concerned about any technical limitations

I strongly believe that instead, he wants to know which shops might be superior to others in terms of care and workmanship. In other words, where can he go for a service provider that gives a good god-damn, instead of having to settle for the multitude of shops that have rightly earned a reputation of counting on getting away with the owner not noticing any damage.
Completely and totally unnecessary.
Old 10-30-2023, 07:11 PM
ChrisBlair
Melting Slicks

Received 999 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by leif.anderson93
Completely and totally unnecessary.

Leif I appreciate your dislike for me and I understand your dislike of anyone suggesting a shop does sub standard work. However I deny your self-imposed right to judge me or what I do or say. Take your concerns to an Admin.
Old 10-30-2023, 08:24 PM
leif.anderson93
Le Mans Master

Leif I appreciate your dislike for me and I understand your dislike of anyone suggesting a shop does sub standard work. However I deny your self-imposed right to judge me or what I do or say. Take your concerns to an Admin.
Man, you are so totally off base with your response to my post I don't know where to start...so I won't. You missed my point completely...completely!! Did you notice the area I highlighted in your previous post??? Obviously NOT.
Old 10-31-2023, 08:58 AM
phil2302
Melting Slicks

Received 1,017 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by DonBond
I understand your concerns and taking it one step further it isnt just the tire machine being used. Yes modern ones are better but if the person using it is rough and not experienced things can happen.
Also when the tire is off handling the rim carefully is important, not letting down hard on concrete or knocking them into something nearby etc.
I always tell the person doing the job to treat them gently.
Old 10-31-2023, 09:12 AM
tommyn
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 88 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by SupremeDeluxe
Tire Service in Elk Grove Village does all mine and those of many others here. He will be doing the original KH knock offs on my 63 soon.

(847) 640-8019
Lee is the go to guy. One man shop, everything is done with care as if it his his own. He also does photos along the way to post to his Facebook and document the job in many cases.
DonBond (10-31-2023)
Old 10-31-2023, 09:14 AM
DonBond
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

You are spot on with your analysis of my post Chris......I could not have said it better. You guys have given me some good ideas to work with and the answer lies in there somewhere. I am very **** about quality workmanship whether it be my Corvette or a Subaru.

Get notified of new replies

To Tire Changing in N Illinois

Quick Reply: Tire Changing in N Illinois