C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Gas Tank Fuel Strainer

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2023, 04:48 PM
Kelley
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 25 Posts
AL Events Coordinator

Default Gas Tank Fuel Strainer

I stopped for gas yesterday in my 67 and found the strainer off my sending unit floating in the tank. The girl friend reached in (with her smaller hands) and pulled it out. How big a deal is it to replace the sending unit? Or would an inline filter outside the tank be a good option?

Also, other than the risk of plugging the line up with trash out of the tank and getting stranded on the side of the road, is there a reason not to drive the car until it is repaired? The tank is new and clean.
Old 10-29-2023, 05:11 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,994 Likes on 4,810 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

the hardest part about removing the sender is getting the gas out of the tank so its not running down your arm as your removing the sender
Old 10-29-2023, 05:38 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,135 Likes on 1,472 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

It is a PIA. There have been other CF members who have bought replacement sender and are not happy with them for various reasons. Do s search and you can glean some insight.
One way to do this is to remove the spare tire carrier and then safely drain the gas from underneath or siphon the gas out, jack the car up or get on a lift. Then try to tilt the car high on the right side. That way any residual gas will stay to the left as you remove the sender. Be DAMN careful about vapors etc around anything with spark or flame, best well ventilated area. Keep a fire extinguisher at hand. While you are there, replace the short rubber gas line.
Since you have a clean tank I don't think there is a problem, but fix the problem soon. You could use an outside filter but, consider it only temporary. Hope this helps. Dennis
Old 10-29-2023, 09:58 PM
robertea
Racer

Received 223 Likes on 114 Posts

You can probably just buy the strainer from one of the Corvette suppliers and the reach into the tank and try to fit it over the pipe. I know that Zip carries them, about $10.
I got my hand in mine years ago. It was a lot easier going in than coming out. Depending on how mechanically inclined your girlfriend is perhaps she could install it.
Old 10-31-2023, 07:36 PM
Kelley
Racer

AL Events Coordinator

Assuming she can reach it, what holds it on to prevent it from falling off again? I certainly don't mind her getting a little gasoline on her elbow
Old 10-31-2023, 07:40 PM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,040 Likes on 675 Posts

Larry - it's a press-fit. You slide it onto the tube and within a couple inches, you'll feel resistance. It really is a two-hand job, so it'll be best to drain the tank down, remove the sending unit and press on the new strainer.
Mike T - Prescott AZ
Old 10-31-2023, 07:52 PM
Kelley
Racer

AL Events Coordinator

Darn. Thank you
Old 10-31-2023, 07:53 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,994 Likes on 4,810 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

a few years ago dad got one at LIC and it did not fit onto the sender. So I took the fuel sender to the parts store and a worker was kind enough to let me open about 10 boxes of new ones for various cars until we found one that fit
The following users liked this post:
Bluestripe67 (11-01-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To Gas Tank Fuel Strainer

Quick Reply: Gas Tank Fuel Strainer