C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Anybody have a Roadster Shop chassis?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2023, 06:10 PM
ArchStanton
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Anybody have a Roadster Shop chassis?

I have a problem with one and needless to say, they haven't been forthcoming with info or solutions. If anybody has one, I need to verify the height difference between the number 3 body mount and the number 4 body mount. And, if possible, the height difference between the number 3 body mount (measured from top) to the top of the end of the rear frame rail.

(C2 chassis)

Or, I can come to you. I need this fiasco resolved, one way or the other.

Thanks

Last edited by ArchStanton; 10-26-2023 at 07:47 PM.
Old 10-27-2023, 07:47 AM
ragtop68rs
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it a spec7 or fast track?
I have a spec 7 on order that I'm picking up next Friday.
Old 10-27-2023, 09:01 AM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 651 Likes on 279 Posts

Just trying to help having built a few of these cars, but never used an RS frame. I doesn't matter what anybody else has, but if your chassis doesn't conform to these body mount height dimensions and your body mounts on the body haven't been modified, then your going to have fitment problems. How far off it it and where?

The following 3 users liked this post by Ken Sungela:
68sixspeed (10-27-2023), Blown62 (10-27-2023), Westlotorn (10-29-2023)
Old 10-27-2023, 11:19 AM
ArchStanton
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ken Sungela
Just trying to help having built a few of these cars, but never used an RS frame. I doesn't matter what anybody else has, but if your chassis doesn't conform to these body mount height dimensions and your body mounts on the body haven't been modified, then your going to have fitment problems. How far off it it and where?

I agree. I actually sent them the 66-67 schematic as shown below. The factory height difference between Body Mount #3 (B pillar) and Body Mount #4 (the rear) is about 7 1/8". Mine is 6 1/2" as measured....and I have right at 5/8" gap with the body bushing installed. That's a gap from the top of the bushing to the body. This was the first red flag. I looked at the rear frame rails and they looked low. When I rounded up some new bumper brackets and bumpers, I can actually bolt up a bracket on the frame rail end and it will just clear the body. In other words, it's about an inch and a half - three-quarters too low.

Their response...."it's custom blah blah blah, we do 1,000's blah blah blah, we have the best QC blah blah blah". You get the point. As I told them, a frame can be custom whatever but it must conform to the body at the mounting locations or it won't work. This is just common sense.

It appears to be the entire rear section is tilted downward.

Old 10-27-2023, 11:24 AM
ArchStanton
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ragtop68rs
Fast track.....to no where.
Old 10-28-2023, 08:17 PM
ArchStanton
Intermediate

Notice the bumper bracket hanging below the body on the right side..

Old 10-29-2023, 12:40 AM
z51rox
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 17 Posts

You should try to contact Mid Year Mitch he just built one with this chassis.
Old 10-29-2023, 12:53 AM
ArchStanton
Intermediate

Originally Posted by z51rox
You should try to contact Mid Year Mitch he just built one with this chassis.
He used the Spec 7, but all the body/bumper mounting locations should be the same.
Old 10-29-2023, 03:45 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Maybe they used C3 chassis dimensions?
Old 10-29-2023, 08:19 AM
65 Pro Vette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,051 Likes on 579 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Couple of questions. Are you using a 63 body? Are you using rubber mounts? If you are that is your problem. 63 don’t use rubber mounts.There is no place in the bird cage to fit them. It will keep the body to high at the back of the door. This will throw all the other mounts off. On this 63 body We used the factory shims and it was perfect.

Old 10-29-2023, 11:52 AM
ArchStanton
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 65 Pro Vette
Couple of questions. Are you using a 63 body? Are you using rubber mounts? If you are that is your problem. 63 don’t use rubber mounts.There is no place in the bird cage to fit them. It will keep the body to high at the back of the door. This will throw all the other mounts off. On this 63 body We used the factory shims and it was perfect.

Couple of answers, respectfully. Your chassis was one of the first iterations they made. It didn't even have provisions for bumper brackets and core support mounting (you had to fab this yourself).

I have 2 '63s. I have an original with the solid shim mounts. I understand this. But the frames they put out now have provisions for all mounting brackets and mounts, and most importantly, are based on the 64-67 frames.

The fact is that '63s use the later rubber mounts on their frame, as it is designed this way now. They know it is a '63. Even if I removed the rubber mounts that support the Bird Cage, in other words, dropped the body 1/2" inch, there would still be a 5/8" gap at the #4 body mount (the rearmost mount) and the rear bumper brackets would still be over an inch too low. (Not to mention the core support then wouldn't fit and possibly the front bumpers too.)

It appears the rear frame rails are about 2 degrees off (tilting downward towards the rear). If they were more forthcoming with information I could have verified this but they have refused to send a schematic or anything else they use to jig this this up and fab it. Personally I think they build the rear frame rail section as a unit and then marry it to the front frame rails. If they do it that way and the crossmember is welded in a couple of degrees off, it will result in the problem I'm seeing.

Yes, it can be fixed. Yes, I can chop it up and fix it. But I shouldn't have to. It shouldn't be my problem. I shouldn't have to take the body off, remove the engine/trans, put this on a frame table and do what they should have done to begin with....weld it up right. And it pisses me off they are dragging their feet. I brought this to their attention the first week of September.

Last edited by ArchStanton; 10-29-2023 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-29-2023, 04:05 PM
solidaxel
Melting Slicks

Received 153 Likes on 124 Posts

That was one of my biggest fears when I was researching a chassis
Good luck,
I hope they step up to your demands

Last edited by solidaxel; 10-30-2023 at 01:00 AM.
Old 10-29-2023, 08:27 PM
ArchStanton
Intermediate

Originally Posted by solidaxel
Good luck,
I hope they step to your demands
There is not a chassis supplier out there that doesn't make mistakes, nor is there a chassis supplier who's chassis/management doesn't have some type of drawback.

But when the rubber meets the road, they should handle issues accordingly.

My demands? I need 3 more frames. One for another C2 and 2 for C10 trucks. All I asked for was a discount (that would essentially cover my costs, but we've never got to specifics) on a replacement/fix this one....and I'd continue to buy from them. So far they've handled it like the botched delivery (arrived stacked on top of another shipment...I ended up having to drive 8 hours/wait 4 hours at a dock to pick it up) and the axles (one had 1/4" engagement; studs mismatched; so I bought another set).

If they blow me off this next week because of SEMA, we'll probably settle this with lawyers. And I don't give a damn what it costs.
Old 10-29-2023, 09:08 PM
Ken Sungela
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 651 Likes on 279 Posts

Rothspeed makes a great C10 chassis, and equally good C2 chassis. Maybe give them a call.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ken Sungela:
ArchStanton (10-29-2023), solidaxel (10-30-2023)
Old 11-18-2023, 07:39 PM
ArchStanton
Intermediate

Originally Posted by solidaxel
Good luck,
I hope they step up to your demands
The demand from legal counsel will be coming. I've talked to other people that had the same issue. People that are well known and do very high-end work.

I have verified, through the information they've provided no less, that the rear body mount and frame rails are incorrectly located. The body mount and bumper bracket locations should be the same as factory, but they are not. NOT EVEN CLOSE.

Old 11-18-2023, 07:44 PM
ArchStanton
Intermediate

Did you pick it up? Let me know when you try to set the body on it. They told me the Spec 7 chassis was assembled on a different fixture from the fast track but the body mounts and rear frame rail/bumper bracket locations were the same. If what they told me is true, you will have the same problem I have.
Old 11-19-2023, 10:51 AM
ragtop68rs
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ArchStanton
Did you pick it up? Let me know when you try to set the body on it. They told me the Spec 7 chassis was assembled on a different fixture from the fast track but the body mounts and rear frame rail/bumper bracket locations were the same. If what they told me is true, you will have the same problem I have.
I do have the body sitting on the frame. I wouldn’t say mines perfect. The only mount that the body is sitting on tightly is the #3. The #2 mount I can move by hand but it’s just barely off of it. The #4 mount is much looser. Probably a 1/4” gap. My biggest problem looks to be at the core support. It’s close to an inch between the frame and support and there’s not supposed to be a mount between them, only a shim. I think a thinner mount on #3 would solve most of my problems.

Old 11-19-2023, 11:35 AM
ArchStanton
Intermediate

I do have the body sitting on the frame. I wouldn’t say mines perfect. The only mount that the body is sitting on tightly is the #3. The #2 mount I can move by hand but it’s just barely off of it. The #4 mount is much looser. Probably a 1/4” gap. My biggest problem looks to be at the core support. It’s close to an inch between the frame and support and there’s not supposed to be a mount between them, only a shim. I think a thinner mount on #3 would solve most of my problems.

Just wait until you look at the rear bumper brackets. I have documented proof the fixture they use to make the fast track chassis is wrong. Very wrong. And I was told they use the same dimensions for the spec7. Let me know how the rear brackets/bumpers go....send a DM or post publicly, whatever you are comfortable with. Thanks
Old 11-19-2023, 11:50 AM
ArchStanton
Intermediate

By the way, they intentionally place the number 2 body mount lower than 1 & 3. Mine is the same way as yours. If you lower the number 3 mount, you're just making the problem worse in the front.

Get notified of new replies

To Anybody have a Roadster Shop chassis?

Quick Reply: Anybody have a Roadster Shop chassis?