C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] Something BAD happened to my engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2023, 04:29 PM
dmtparker
Pro

Received 139 Likes on 92 Posts
Default Something BAD happened to my engine

And I cannot figure it out! I hope someone here will have some ideas.
First, some background. Since I got my 62 back on the road this summer, I have been chasing two (obviously related) problems: overheating (when timing is retarded) and pinging (when it is advanced) I am getting closer and this morning was quite good in both respects. I live in the middle of nowhere with 2.5 miles of dirt road in either direction. I was on my way home from the Post Office when I hit a particularly bad pothole. The entire car shook badly. I knew immediately that something was wrong as the car continued to shake badly as I tried to drive on. I wasn't sure if it was the suspension (which I had just totally rebuilt last summer) or the engine. I stopped and looked everything over and the suspension seemed OK. As I started off, it became clear that it was the engine. With any effort at acceleration, but bucked and shook badly. (Like the shift lever was gyrating wildly.) I made it home as it was mostly downhill at that point.
So here is where I'm at:
The engine starts easily and idles as smoothly as it ever has (LT-1, sort of lopey.) I can rev the engine to at least 4000 with no problems - MOST OF THE TIME. Sometimes, especially it seems if I bring the revs up slowly, it starts shaking and knocking at about 1000 and continues until I drop it back to idle. If I try to drive, it is OK on flat or down hill, but the minute there is any load on it, the engine starts bucking - maybe like it were misfiring?? When that happens, the tach jumps all over the place. Other times it is normal.Zero power. Not driveable at all. It is clearly related to the pothole incident, but I cannot imagine how.
Here is what I have done so far:
  • Checked all bolts from transmission to bell housing and bell housing to engine - all good and tight.
  • Checked front engine mounts - tight
  • Checked all bolts on exhaust manifold - I found two a bit loose and tightened them with no change (actually the exhaust note improved, but that is all)
  • Checked rest of exhaust system - all tight
  • Checked all bolts on intake manifold - all tight
  • Checked ignition - MSD distributor with 6A box. Box did not shake loose; all wiring OK; distributor is tight; cap, rotor, weights and springs all good; wires all good
  • I pulled all the spark plugs (all looked good) and examined the pistons with a recently acquired bore scope. I was disappointed in what I could/couldn't see with the scope, but there was absolutely no carbon. The tops of the piston looked a bit pitted - similar to pictures I have seen on pre-ignition, but not bad. No oil or foreign bodies seen.
  • Oil looks pristine
  • Antifreeze looks good
I am really at a loss as to where to go next. There is clearly something terribly wrong here, but I haven't a clue what it is.

Last edited by dmtparker; 10-02-2023 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Added info

Popular Reply

10-11-2023, 03:07 PM
dmtparker
Pro

Default Solved!

And you will NEVER guess how. Yesterday, I got home with my borrowed Blaster 2 coil and 6AL box. First I swapped out the coil (easier to do) - no improvement. Then I swapped out my 6A for the 6AL - Started fine and ran OK until I started up hill. Then it bucked and misfired and then died. Completely. Would not start. I had to use the starter to back the car around and into the carport. Putting a timing light on the coil to distributor wire, I confirmed 0 spark. A this point I swapped my original parts back in. Same result. So I started testing. My entire ignition system is MSD - billet distributor, coil, 6A box. Using a link provided a couple pages back (Thank-you!) I went to the Holly (MSD) website and reviewed their trouble shooting. I do not have a helper so jumping the magnetic sensor wire to test for spark was not possible. Instead, I took the unused white wire (used with points) and scratched it on a good ground while holding a spark plug (plugged into the coil directly) against ground. No spark. Remember, the engine was running a few minutes ago. Well, is there 12 v to the red wire on the 6A? No. Why not? The red wire is plugged into a junction on a plastic extender on the + coil post. That extender connects the 6A red to the original 'hot' wire to the coil which comes off the ballast resistor. (in this application, the ballast resistor is not used, but functions solely as a connection point for several wires.) Sure enough, the brown wire from the ignition switch was sitting there - pulled out of its ring connector. I replaced the connector (with a heat shrink one this time!) and the car runs great.
The best I can figure is that when I hit the pothole, the engine and the body got racked in opposite directions, pulling the brown wire partly out of the ring connector. When it was making contact, all was well. Whenever the engine torqued slightly (like giving it gas up a hill), the connection became tenuous and the engine misfired. This went on until the wire pulled out completely and I could find it.
Thanks to everyone for your help! Especially to 68sixspeed for loaning the coil and box - I'll get it back in the mail to you soon. This forum is the best!
Old 10-02-2023, 05:16 PM
JF in MI
Drifting
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,322 Likes on 494 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Somehow 'carbon track' seems to come to my mind or damaged ignition wire (although they don't usually cause a "bad" vibration). An ignition scope might help here.
Old 10-02-2023, 05:25 PM
Chalie M
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 424 Likes on 290 Posts

Interesting, have you verified the crank damper is not coming apart or has shifted?
Old 10-02-2023, 05:36 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,823 Likes on 1,611 Posts

I agree with comment about outer ring of damper slipping especially since you have a problem setting the timing.
Old 10-02-2023, 06:08 PM
dmtparker
Pro

Originally Posted by JF in MI
Somehow 'carbon track' seems to come to my mind or damaged ignition wire (although they don't usually cause a "bad" vibration). An ignition scope might help here.
Please explain 'carbon track'. The ignition wires 'look' good and I'm not sure how the pothole could have damaged them. I did check that all were connected solidly. Unfortunately, I don't have access to an ignition scope.
Old 10-02-2023, 06:09 PM
dmtparker
Pro

Originally Posted by Chalie M
Interesting, have you verified the crank damper is not coming apart or has shifted?
I did, after the incident, verify TDC on the damper. I see no signs of it coming apart.
Old 10-02-2023, 06:10 PM
dmtparker
Pro

Originally Posted by MelWff
I agree with comment about outer ring of damper slipping especially since you have a problem setting the timing.
As noted above, I verified TDC and, no, I have no trouble setting timing, just finding the best timing. I can set it very stable wherever I want it. I have not, but will tomorrow, verify that the timing has not changed and is stable.
Old 10-02-2023, 06:30 PM
Duck916
Team Owner

Location: Various places in California. Not currently aflame.
Received 641 Likes on 396 Posts

Have you looked at the distributor cap? I wonder if the impact damaged it or the rotor.
Old 10-02-2023, 06:34 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,142 Likes on 1,476 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

You covered several things, but you didn't mention the coil. Is it secure, have you tested it? Have you checked the float setting on the carb? Also you mention, "as son as I put a load on it" it starts bucking. I'm wondering about the physical and electrical condition. Any thoughts from anyone? Dennis
Old 10-02-2023, 06:59 PM
dmtparker
Pro

Originally Posted by Duck916
Have you looked at the distributor cap? I wonder if the impact damaged it or the rotor.
I looked at them and they both look ok to me
Old 10-02-2023, 07:00 PM
dmtparker
Pro

Originally Posted by Bluestripe67
You covered several things, but you didn't mention the coil. Is it secure, have you tested it? Have you checked the float setting on the carb? Also you mention, "as son as I put a load on it" it starts bucking. I'm wondering about the physical and electrical condition. Any thoughts from anyone? Dennis
The coil is solidly mounted and looks ok. How would I test it?
Old 10-02-2023, 07:32 PM
RED340COUPE
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Verify the firing order, no crossed plug wires.
Old 10-02-2023, 07:39 PM
thoyer
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 366 Likes on 234 Posts

I don't see in your list that you rechecked the timing. Distributor could have jumped a bit with the jolt.

Swap a different coil in if you have one.

Vacuum leak?

Tom
Old 10-02-2023, 07:43 PM
dmtparker
Pro

Originally Posted by RED340COUPE
Verify the firing order, no crossed plug wires.
That would not have changed with jolt. Car was running fine until then
Old 10-02-2023, 07:45 PM
dmtparker
Pro

Originally Posted by thoyer
I don't see in your list that you rechecked the timing. Distributor could have jumped a bit with the jolt.

Swap a different coil in if you have one.

Vacuum leak?

Tom
I will check timing tomorrow morning. Unfortunately I do not have another coil. Could the jolt have damaged it?
Old 10-02-2023, 08:00 PM
pop23235
Safety Car

Received 1,029 Likes on 687 Posts

Start it in a very dark place. Check for arcing. Use a spray bottle of water if necessary.
Old 10-02-2023, 08:11 PM
Bacci
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Miles on engine since rebuilding? Age of timing chain? Sudden snapping the gas pedal caused by severe jolt to car caused timing chain to jump one tooth?

Get notified of new replies

To Something BAD happened to my engine

Old 10-02-2023, 08:13 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,142 Likes on 1,476 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Originally Posted by dmtparker
The coil is solidly mounted and looks ok. How would I test it?
You need an ohm meter. For clarification go to YouTube, search "Ignition Coil Test" (The short version).
Dennis
Old 10-02-2023, 08:16 PM
paw
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

i would believe the coil is a problem, but i would check the small wiring for the MSD from the dist to the coil and ign box (when i say check, i mean check the polarity of of the wiring, i have seen MSD connect things in thier harness backwards. tom
Old 10-02-2023, 08:27 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,590 Likes on 3,029 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by paw
i would believe the coil is a problem, but i would check the small wiring for the MSD from the dist to the coil and ign box (when i say check, i mean check the polarity of of the wiring, i have seen MSD connect things in thier harness backwards. tom
That doesn't make sense. The engine ran fine before hitting the pothole. Hitting the pothole wouldn't have caused wires to swap connections.
The following 2 users liked this post by jim lockwood:
Dan Hampton (10-06-2023), Westlotorn (10-03-2023)

Quick Reply: [C1] Something BAD happened to my engine