C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C1] Wiper motor stuck on

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2023, 11:07 AM
johngammel
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
2017 C4 of the Year Finalist

Default Wiper motor stuck on

Wipers were parked and I tested the washer in my '61 which worked fine. However the wipers now operate continuously. Switches lo to hi and hi to lo but in the off position runs. Pic taken with the switch in the off position. Any possible quick fix for this?

Old 09-27-2023, 12:28 PM
SDE1961
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

With the hood open and standing beside the car, operate the wiper switch. You will see how it operates via the cable the slider on the top of the motor. Use your hand, not the switch to fully return the slider to the off position. The motor will stop.
Old 09-27-2023, 03:15 PM
johngammel
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

That was interesting. After touching the "round guy" with the hose it stopped. Maybe that needs some adjustment by loosening the pan head screw. ??? I need a Frankie guide...
Old 09-27-2023, 04:04 PM
johngammel
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Default Vacumm

This is with mouth vacuum applied.

Old 09-27-2023, 04:42 PM
johngammel
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Did more investigation. If I push firmly on the plastic (nylon?) piece towards the driver side it stops running. Adjustment? Which way?
Old 09-27-2023, 04:52 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 739 Likes on 459 Posts

If I remember correctly, loosen the circled screw and pull the cable back toward driver side to more fully return the plastic slider.
Dave Z

Old 09-27-2023, 05:15 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 319 Posts

YES, as DZ said

That "cannister" is the wiper/ washer coordinator and it pushes the slider out when selected and probably a bit too far, they can be touchy.

Last edited by Pilot Dan; 09-27-2023 at 05:29 PM.
Old 10-01-2023, 11:04 AM
johngammel
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

The engine is off. There is .060 gap between the end of the wire and the "plastic" part. What's typically a good measurement?

Last edited by johngammel; 10-01-2023 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-01-2023, 12:57 PM
johngammel
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Here's where I'm at. Start car - push washer button and nothing happens - no water and no wiping. Turn **** and low works, turn more and high works, turn to off and the wipers park. Turn car off and the squirters pump water onto the windshield and then quit. The cable is as far back as it will go -and it worked fine last year.

HUH? What do I need to do?
Old 10-02-2023, 06:59 AM
rich5962
Safety Car

Received 564 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by johngammel
Did more investigation. If I push firmly on the plastic (nylon?) piece towards the driver side it stops running. Adjustment? Which way?
Originally Posted by johngammel
Here's where I'm at. Start car - push washer button and nothing happens - no water and no wiping. Turn **** and low works, turn more and high works, turn to off and the wipers park. Turn car off and the squirters pump water onto the windshield and then quit. The cable is as far back as it will go -and it worked fine last year.

HUH? What do I need to do?
Very often the internal switch mechanism just wears out over time and needs adjusting. It's under the flat cover where the plastic actuator sits. A few screws and it's off. Non-use is also a factor as the contacts of the switch can get a bit dirty. A simple cleaning may be needed of the contacts. But if not.....

In your ST12(Section 12-4) manual there is a detailed wiper motor diagnosis chart(Pg 12-10). Due to wear of the internal switch contactors and/or the actuating lever, you'll likely have to go in and adjust some of the flat spring contactors or bend the lever. You'll see when you get in there.

Rich
P.S.It is important when rebuilding a motor that the cable is used to perform a final test it on the bench. I've had rebuilt motors from outside vendors over the years that neglected to test with the cable. I'd have to go in and adjust the switch contacts. That's why I reverted to doing them myself on all of my body-offs over the years. I also review the adjustments in the Assembly doc attached below.
(btw DZVette converted my old html files to these years ago, along with some nice additions)

Get notified of new replies

To Wiper motor stuck on

Quick Reply: [C1] Wiper motor stuck on