C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

oil seepage lesson learned

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2023, 01:11 PM
rosros
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts

Default oil seepage lesson learned

Recently noticed oil covering underside of car, around intake manifold edges and backside and front side of engine block. No drips, just wet. No smoking from the exhaust. Oil pressure guage seemed ok but in retro may have been reading a bit high. I checked the dipstick and it was over the full mark. The car has been converted to spin on oil filter so the oil capacity is reduced to 5 qts. The mechanic must have just followed mfg specs and added in the 6 qts and out the door she went (as this car was a recent purchase the oil change was done right before my purchase). Went to Harbor Freight and got the Pittsburg transfer pump (did not want to deal with doing an oil change), ran the hose down the dipstick and pumped out a qt. Will let the oil settle as the pump probably agitated the oil. Now oil readings at the full mark so was over filled by 1 qt. Hopefully the valve cover seal will reseat with less oil pressure up top and not leak. A big slap to my forehead.

Last edited by rosros; 09-04-2023 at 01:40 PM. Reason: added context
Old 09-04-2023, 01:35 PM
Helix9595
Pro

Received 276 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by rosros
Recently noticed oil covering underside of car, around intake manifold edges and backside and front side of engine block. No drips, just wet. No smoking from the exhaust. Oil pressure guage seemed ok but in retro may have been reading a bit high. I checked the dipstick and it was over the full mark. The car has been converted to spin on oil filter so the oil capacity is reduced to 5 qts. The mechanic must have just followed mfg specs and added in the 6 qts and out the door she went (as this car was a recent purchase the oil change was done right before my purchase). Went to Harbor Freight and got the Pittsburg transfer pump (did not want to deal with doing an oil change), ran the hose down the dipstick and pumped out a qtr. Will let the oil settle as the pump probably agitated the oil. Now oil readings at the full mark so was over filled by 1 qt. Hopefully the valve cover seal will reseat with less oil pressure up top and not leak. A big slap to my forehead.
Thanks for posting about this. I forgot that the spin on filters use less oil. My car started seeping oil but I could not figure out where it was coming from. Last week I suspected that I might be overfull so removed some. Your situation verifies that I was overfull.

Old 09-04-2023, 01:41 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,982 Likes on 4,802 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

The canisters hold one quart while most spin on filters hold a half a quart. But there was some spin on filters for trucks and such that held one quart too. From memory the one for a 350 was PF1218. While the PF 35 was a half a quart. But this was for 305/307 and 350 blocks. I have no idea about spin on conversions
Old 09-04-2023, 01:50 PM
jforb
Pro

Received 526 Likes on 206 Posts

I'm curious about how being a bit over full will affect the engine....can you explain?
Old 09-04-2023, 01:54 PM
Helix9595
Pro

Received 276 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by jforb
I'm curious about how being a bit over full will affect the engine....can you explain?
A bit over full may just cause a leak, A lot over full could hit the crankshaft and cause all kinds of issues. Noises, power loss oil leaks etc.
Old 09-04-2023, 02:30 PM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,143 Likes on 1,033 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (stock)
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Overfilling an engine or transmission risks that the level rises above rotating parts causing foam which is aeration and as we know pumps for liquids will not pump air. In the engine such risks are likely far smaller than the wives tales and causes mostly leaks. In an automatic transmission however foaming ATF in hydraulic circuits can cause havoc, causing low line pressures and partially engaged clutches and bands. Overfilling is self inflicted failure, the worst kind.

Dan
Old 09-04-2023, 02:38 PM
jforb
Pro

Received 526 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Helix9595
A bit over full may just cause a leak,
How? I don't understand.

Old 09-04-2023, 02:47 PM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,143 Likes on 1,033 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (stock)
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

How? I don't understand.
When oil is at a level equal to or above a gasketed area not intended to see oil under pressure, top of oil pan gasket, front cover, rear seal, anywhere oil isn't supposed to be in quantity it will seep or leak. Think about an engine oiling system that routes pumped oil to moving parts that need it. If the crank is churning through the oil, whipping it into a froth it will throw it everywhere inside and can give the oil pump a problem too.

Dan
The following users liked this post:
Helix9595 (09-04-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To oil seepage lesson learned

Quick Reply: oil seepage lesson learned