C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Waking up a 1957 Fuelie

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2023, 03:50 PM
rlgerst@msn.com
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Waking up a 1957 Fuelie

I bought a 1957 Fuel Injection Corvette that had been stored in a garage under a car cover and had not seen for 24 years. Since it was in great condition when it was parked, I thought it would be a simple task of just “waking it up”….. I used a come-along to get it out the storage garage and used wheel rollers because tires were flat. When out of the storage garage, I installed my wheels and tires off of my 67 Vette to trailer it back to my home in Bulverde Texas. I gave it a bath and the body and paint looked perfect since it hadn’t seen the light of day for 24 years. I pushed it into my garage, where it has been ever since. I used a scope camera to check out the gas tank and engine cylinders. The inside of the gas tank was completely covered in surface rust, but the engine cylinders were clean and shiny. So I replaced the entire fuel system. New stainless steel tank, filler neck, fuel lines and fuel pump. All the brake line fittings were rusted so I installed a complete new braking system, New brake lines, wheel cylinders, shoes, and rebuilt the master cylinder. Brakes are now fixed. Next to the engine. Drained oil and replaced oil filter and filled with new oil, pulled spark plugs, filled each cylinder with Marvel Mystery Oil, turned oil shaft with drill to circulate oil, then tapped starter to move engine parts. All seemed good so turned over motor several times to blow out the Marvel Oil out of the cylinders. I then put in new spark plugs and was hopeful that it would start. Well, it didn’t. No spark. The Distributor is strange on the 57 Fuelie. You set the base of the distributor with a “notch ” on the top dead center mark. THEN the whole top half the distributor rotates that has a clamp. The bottom of the distributor can’t move because of a cable that runs from the distributor to the FI unit. So you time the car by turning the top half. I got 3 distributors with the car; two with the FI unit connection. The one installed was the original duo points distributor with no door openings and it wasn’t working, so I opted for the other one with the FI cable connection but had the door openings and a spring style rotor. I installed a new

Pertronix electronic ignition system and now I had spark, great spark. So I had fuel and spark but it still wouldn’t start. The FI unit was a complete mystery, so I sent it to Jack Podell the best Fuel Injection expert left. He completely rebuilt it to new standards for $4320. I installed this new rebuilt FI unit and it still would not start. My brother-n-law, Lee who is a great Corvette mechanic tried everything, but still it wouldn’t start. So, Jack Podell had suggested and we felt the best course was to install a different intake manifold with a 4 bbl carburetor and get everything working and later reinstall the FI unit…. So I installed the 4 bbl carburetor with the standard distributor with no FI connection. With only two minimal movements of the distributor, it started without hesitation. UNBELIEVABLE.. But my radiator was at a repair shop trying to get repaired. So I could only run it for a minute before it got too hot. (As a note, the radiator could not be fixed so I ordered a new replica radiator and it will be delivered this next week). So we waited for it to cool off and tried to time it. The timing mark bounced all over, so we did a continuity test on the number 1 spark plug wire and it didn’t check out. So we stopped and I will install new spark plug wires when they arrive in a few days. 66 year old wires just can’t cut it…

So, I am making progress…. BUT after I get everything to work properly, I want to reinstall the Fuel Injection unit. CAN anyone help me or give me some guidance. This is much more than I ever thought that I had to do…
Trailered home with my 67 Vette wheels and tires

After Bath

Tires flat on 57 so I used my 67 Vette wheels and tires to get it home

Rebuilt FI unit installed

Rebuilt FI unit installed
The following 3 users liked this post by rlgerst@msn.com:
carl3989 (08-27-2023), Loren Smith (08-27-2023), SonnyAK (08-28-2023)

Popular Reply

10-18-2023, 02:43 PM
jerrybramlett
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 288 Likes on 121 Posts
Default My offer

Originally Posted by rlgerst@msn.com
I want my 57 Vette to be a "FUELIE"..... I won't give up.... This Vette looks and runs great (on the 4 bbl)..... It just was stored for 24 years..... I've got another $12,000 in it since I bought it that includes the $4320 to Jack Podell to rebuild the FI unit.... I hope expenses come to an end soon....
Ronald, I believe you've already spent plenty. Also, I doubt you'll be able to fix that FI system with a little home tinkering. I'm guessing your unit and distributor have many of his usual errors, and maybe even some I've never seen before.

I used to repair FI systems. I closed my business about two years ago and took down my website. But, contrary to some silly rumors, I'm not dying anytime soon. If you will ship me your FI unit and distributor and pay for return shipping, I'll repair and calibrate your system at no charge for my labor. I'll first estimate the cost of any parts needed so you can decide if you want to proceed. If you don't, I'll ship your unit right back to you.

This offer is in appreciation for you having filled out your profile completely and for posting so openly about your FI problems. I do hate internet anonymity.

You can call me on my Top Secret listed phone number (251) 478-4003 if you want to discuss this. I'll be glad to supply references.

Sincerely,

Jerry Bramlett
Mobile, AL
Old 08-26-2023, 03:59 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,773 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

Ron,
WHAT DID YOU DO WITH THE ORIGINAL RADIATOR?????????????
It can be saved and recored so that you have the original tanks!

Without having the car at my finger tips, I can only speculate as to what may be the issue(s).
I've been rebuilding these units for over 45yrs. I would like to have had it on my fixture to test it.

This is also one of my projects (I'm standing up).

Last edited by DZAUTO; 08-26-2023 at 04:08 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by DZAUTO:
carl3989 (08-27-2023), Corkguy (10-20-2023), Loren Smith (08-27-2023), warrenmj (08-26-2023)
Old 08-26-2023, 04:14 PM
rlgerst@msn.com
Instructor

I sill have the original radiator.... I have all the original parts....
Old 08-26-2023, 04:25 PM
Jud Chapin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 417 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Super nice...
Old 08-26-2023, 04:31 PM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,750 Likes on 818 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Ron:

You have done some great preliminary work to get this car road-worthy. Super congrats on that. Regarding the FI unit, I think you will find that all you need with regard to tech support can be found on this Forum, and you really don't need to look anywhere else. Besides Tom, Jim Lockwood is our resident in-house FI guru who has helped more people than I can count. He is a true Master of these units and you would be well served in directing questions to him on this Forum. Besides, it costs nothing and the education you receive cannot be found anywhere else. Good luck with your car.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dan Hampton:
Corkguy (10-20-2023), solidaxel (10-19-2023)
Old 08-26-2023, 04:32 PM
rlgerst@msn.com
Instructor

Thanks DZ, I am sure that you have heard of Jack Podell who rebuilt my FI unit. He hasn't given me much help since it arrived ... I sincerely hated taking the FI unit off, but I just felt that I had nothing else that I could. After the radiator is in and spark plug wires, it should be running. I sure wish that I had sent my FI unit to you first... I like you project plane... I an a Retired Air Force pilot of 22 years....
Old 08-26-2023, 04:36 PM
rlgerst@msn.com
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dan Hampton
Ron:

You have done some great preliminary work to get this car road-worthy. Super congrats on that. Regarding the FI unit, I think you will find that all you need with regard to tech support can be found on this Forum, and you really don't need to look anywhere else. Besides Tom, Jim Lockwood is our resident in-house FI guru who has helped more people than I can count. He is a true Master of these units and you would be well served in directing questions to him on this Forum. Besides, it costs nothing and the education you receive cannot be found anywhere else. Good luck with your car.
Thank you so much. I feel that Tom and Jim is all I need to get the FI working...... You have truly "made my day".....
Old 08-26-2023, 05:46 PM
SupremeDeluxe
Safety Car

Received 849 Likes on 475 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

That is an excellent project.

As others said, between Jim and Tom there is nothing here that can't be solved. They are THE EXPERTS here on C1 FI. {To my knowledge, there is very little testing (if any) on a Podell-rebuilt unit]
Old 08-26-2023, 05:54 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Thanks DZ, I am sure that you have heard of Jack Podell who rebuilt my FI unit. He hasn't given me much help since it arrived ... I sincerely hated taking the FI unit off, but I just felt that I had nothing else that I could. After the radiator is in and spark plug wires, it should be running. I sure wish that I had sent my FI unit to you first... I like you project plane... I an a Retired Air Force pilot of 22 years....
We LITERALLY built this thing from a pile of parts-------------------------and made it airworthy.

The following 6 users liked this post by DZAUTO:
carl3989 (08-27-2023), henry63 (10-20-2023), Loren Smith (08-27-2023), Oldpiker (08-28-2023), SonnyAK (08-28-2023), walleyfisher (10-18-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-26-2023, 07:46 PM
rlgerst@msn.com
Instructor

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
We LITERALLY built this thing from a pile of parts-------------------------and made it airworthy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJYBOtp4Aw4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIrZWimmN_0

Outstanding aircraft and a real tribute to your talent..... A bit more complicated than my 57 Fuelie.....
Old 08-27-2023, 12:14 AM
silver837
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 784 Posts

Podell did my unit in 2003. I am still finding problems because of him .
Old 08-27-2023, 01:20 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by silver837
Podell did my unit in 2003. I am still finding problems because of him .
I did not want to say anything. I used Jack once-----------------over 35yrs ago.
Old 08-27-2023, 02:14 AM
silver837
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 784 Posts

Once is once to often !!!!!!!!!
Old 08-27-2023, 05:31 AM
carl3989
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 549 Likes on 263 Posts
USN

Default What a thrill!

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJYBOtp4Aw4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIrZWimmN_0

Wish I could have been there. That fly over was spectacularly memorable for sure. Thank's DZ.
Old 08-27-2023, 08:32 AM
mike mccagh
Racer

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

the throttle arm appears to be off a carb'd 57. hope my eyes are wrong.mike
Old 08-27-2023, 09:33 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,547 Likes on 3,011 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

I
The FI unit was a complete mystery, so I sent it to Jack Podell the best Fuel Injection expert left. He completely rebuilt it to new standards for $4320. I installed this new rebuilt FI unit and it still would not start.
Hmmmm.... that makes two units he rebuilt that I've heard about within the last 10 days which have "no start" issues.
The following users liked this post:
Brian Edgeworth (10-07-2023)
Old 08-27-2023, 11:10 AM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by carl3989
Wish I could have been there. That fly over was spectacularly memorable for sure. Thank's DZ.
Carl,
The picture above was taken by a friend on the ground and he sent it to me,
This video was taken by me from inside, toward the end of the video I was behind the co-pilot seat as flight engineer.
We had just made a low pass and pulled up hard to the right.
The following 2 users liked this post by DZAUTO:
carl3989 (08-27-2023), SonnyAK (08-28-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To Waking up a 1957 Fuelie

Old 08-28-2023, 07:28 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,547 Likes on 3,011 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by mike mccagh
the throttle arm appears to be off a carb'd 57. hope my eyes are wrong.mike
It is, Mike. Good catch!
Old 08-28-2023, 10:27 AM
rlgerst@msn.com
Instructor

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
Hmmmm.... that makes two units he rebuilt that I've heard about within the last 10 days which have "no start" issues.
So sorry to hear this.... I told Jack several times that I expected to put it on and have it run.... That's when he suggested that I change intake manifolds and install a 4 bbl carburetor. Since I wasn't getting anywhere with the FI, I did change to a 4 bbl and it started without hesitation..... I sincerely want this 57 Fuelie to run with the FI unit....
Old 08-28-2023, 10:58 AM
Todd H.
Drifting

Received 424 Likes on 250 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared))
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared)

So sorry to hear this.... I told Jack several times that I expected to put it on and have it run.... That's when he suggested that I change intake manifolds and install a 4 bbl carburetor. Since I wasn't getting anywhere with the FI, I did change to a 4 bbl and it started without hesitation..... I sincerely want this 57 Fuelie to run with the FI unit....
Then you should have Tom or Jim overhaul it for you. Once it's right you'll find that even '57 fuel injection can be very reliable. Especially in Texas heat you may find that percolation can be a problem, but Jim has that figured out, and I'm betting Tom does too, since Oklahoma isn't exactly a cool place. Sorry that your experience with Podell didn't turn out, but now that you're looking for help here you're a big step closer to getting your FI to work correctly.

Here's the round accelerator rod that your car should have...

Quick Reply: Waking up a 1957 Fuelie