C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

water leak behind harmonic balancer

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2023, 09:53 AM
rlgerst@msn.com
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Default water leak behind harmonic balancer

I have a 57 corvette and I just replaced the radiator. I filled it up and now I have a significant leak what appears to be behind the harmonic balancer? How can the be and how can I fix it ????
Old 08-25-2023, 09:58 AM
walleyfisher
Le Mans Master

Received 1,664 Likes on 740 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C7 of the Year Winner -- Modified
2020 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by rlgerst@msn.com
I have a 57 corvette and I just replaced the radiator. I filled it up and now I have a significant leak what appears to be behind the harmonic balancer? How can the be and how can I fix it ????
Your lower water hose must not be sealing to the water pump or the water pump is leaking, there is no water jacket in the block that low.
The following users liked this post:
Redbird (08-25-2023)
Old 08-25-2023, 10:08 AM
jforb
Pro

Received 527 Likes on 207 Posts

how to fix it, first identify where the leak is. That might require getting the car up in the air and using a flashlight, mirror, etc to follow the trail of coolant up to it's source. Or maybe just use a mirror and light, from above.

The water pump can leak at the seal, which usually results in liquid coming out the "weep hole" below the bearing. It can also leak at the back cover, and the mounting surfaces at the motor mount cradle and block. But the hose clamp not tight enough on the lower hose is probably most common, after working on the car. Although if you also removed and replaced the fan belt, you could have disturbed the shaft seal.

Unrelated sources of leaks up there are the front block core plugs, intake manifold gasket, thermostat housing and upper hose, heater hoses and fittings, etc.

So yeah, we can only guess at what's really leaking. You, however, can do some investigating and figure it out.
Jeffs82c3 (08-26-2023)
Old 08-25-2023, 10:18 AM
rlgerst@msn.com
Instructor

Thanks Walley, lower hose is OK so it must be the water pump.... Just felt around and can't feel it BUT that must be it.... Really screwed up system.... Water pump mounts to engine mount plate with gasket then engine mount plate with gasket mounts to block.... When you are tightening the water pump bolts you are moving the entire engine forward which is tough to judge how tight you can get the bolts before they strip out of the block..... I have them now as tight as I dare BUT must get them a little tighter....
Old 08-25-2023, 10:27 AM
walleyfisher
Le Mans Master

Thanks Walley, lower hose is OK so it must be the water pump.... Just felt around and can't feel it BUT that must be it.... Really screwed up system.... Water pump mounts to engine mount plate with gasket then engine mount plate with gasket mounts to block.... When you are tightening the water pump bolts you are moving the entire engine forward which is tough to judge how tight you can get the bolts before they strip out of the block..... I have them now as tight as I dare BUT must get them a little tighter....
Your welcome,
I am assuming you have the motor jacked up and the motor mount cross brace removed. Use a flapper wheel and make sure both side of the motor mount bracket where the gaskets sit is down to bare metal
My advise is to purchase good water pump gaskets (4) and seal (2) of them to the block and seal (2) of them to the water pump, let sealent dry, then slip motor mount plate and water pump back on to block
Old 08-25-2023, 10:54 AM
rlgerst@msn.com
Instructor

Originally Posted by walleyfisher
Your welcome,
I am assuming you have the motor jacked up and the motor mount cross brace removed. Use a flapper wheel and make sure both side of the motor mount bracket where the gaskets sit is down to bare metal
My advise is to purchase good water pump gaskets (4) and seal (2) of them to the block and seal (2) of them to the water pump, let sealent dry, then slip motor mount plate and water pump back on to block
I did a good job installing the water pump with the 4 gaskets on bare metal.... Must be leaking between motor mount plate and the block.... I am using a 3/8 drive socket and a long pipe for leverage.... Hope it seals BEFORE the bolts strip out of the block....
Old 08-25-2023, 10:58 AM
walleyfisher
Le Mans Master

I did a good job installing the water pump with the 4 gaskets on bare metal.... Must be leaking between motor mount plate and the block.... I am using a 3/8 drive socket and a long pipe for leverage.... Hope it seals BEFORE the bolts strip out of the block....
If you are using good "Thick" gaskets and sealent (both sides) you should not need to tighten so tight
Old 08-25-2023, 10:59 AM
rlgerst@msn.com
Instructor

Walley, Do you have a 57 Vette? How did you know about the strange front motor mount?
Old 08-25-2023, 11:00 AM
rlgerst@msn.com
Instructor

It ia pulling rthe engine forward as you tighten the water pump ....
Old 08-25-2023, 11:01 AM
walleyfisher
Le Mans Master

Walley, Do you have a 57 Vette? How did you know about the strange front motor mount?
The motor mount system is the same on my father's '58 and the '60 he used to have
Old 08-25-2023, 11:06 AM
jforb
Pro

Received 527 Likes on 207 Posts

The bolts need only 25 ft lbs of torque. Be careful.
Old 08-25-2023, 01:31 PM
rlgerst@msn.com
Instructor

Thanks for all the help.... IT must be leaking between the motor mount and the block..... Walley, I am going to completely disassemble the front of the motor AGAIN. Take water pump and front motor mount OFF and completely clean to bare metal and get 4 new water pump gaskets. I have also decided to try to loosen the transmission mount so the engine can move forward more easily - - if that is possible...
Old 08-25-2023, 02:13 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 740 Likes on 460 Posts

Ronald

As you go forward with your project the info in the attached PDFs may be of some help, particularly the part about supporting the engine from below to remove the front motor mount bracket.
Dave Z

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
C1 Water Pump Replacement.pdf (138.8 KB, 32 views)
rlgerst@msn.com (08-25-2023)
Old 08-25-2023, 06:52 PM
rlgerst@msn.com
Instructor

That's a GREAT engine support ..... I used a floor jack with a 2x4 to rest on the oil pan rails... Thanks I will build one....

Old 08-25-2023, 07:02 PM
rlgerst@msn.com
Instructor

HI Walley, Well you got me going the right way.... Last week when I installing the water pump, I installed the water pump first and you can not put the motor mount on. So I put the motor mount on first and then the pump, but there was a space between the motor mount and the block that I could not tighten.

So this time, I put the motor mount bolts in with the nuts on but not tight. I then installed the water pump with the motor mount plate and it completely moved the motor mount a 1/4" and I now have a good seal on the water pump..... Now I will tight the motor mounts.... That should do it.....

Last edited by rlgerst@msn.com; 08-26-2023 at 09:51 AM.
jforb (08-25-2023)
Old 08-25-2023, 09:54 PM
walleyfisher
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rlgerst@msn.com;16069801nice to hear02
HI Walley, Well you got me going the right way.... Last week when I installing the water pump, I installed the water pump first and you can not put the motor mount on. So I put the motor mount on first and then the pump, but there was a space between the motor mount and the block that I could not tight.

So this time, I put the motor mount bolts in with the nuts on but not tight. I then installed the water pump with the motor mount plate and it completely moved the motor mount a 1/4" and I now have a good seal on the water pump..... Now I will tight the motor mounts.... That should do it.....
Nice to hear, now drive it
Old 08-25-2023, 11:39 PM
deejaydu
Safety Car

Received 480 Likes on 337 Posts

Please post a picture of your 57. I would love to see it.

Thanks
Jay

Get notified of new replies

To water leak behind harmonic balancer

Old 08-26-2023, 12:48 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Good progress. As you’ve learned you do not mount the motor mount to the frame mounts until after the water pump and motor mount have been fully bolted to the engine. Then the engine can be lowered until the motor mount settles on the frame mounts. Also never use a long bar for leverage on something with a 25 ft-lb torque spec.
Old 08-26-2023, 07:39 AM
Big-K
Racer

Received 161 Likes on 68 Posts

Did all your work fix your leak? Pictures are enjoyable to see, keeps everyone happy.....(-: Big-K
Old 08-26-2023, 09:45 AM
rlgerst@msn.com
Instructor

Originally Posted by walleyfisher
Nice to hear, now drive it
A long way from driving it.... I bought a 57 fuelie that had been stored in a garage under a cover for 24 years.... I sincerely thought that it was just asleep and I would wake it up.... Well, I have been working on it night and day for 2 months and slowing I am making progress.... Maybe I can find some MUCH needed help on the C1 forum !!!!! I will start a new thread on "waking a 57 fuelie" and tell my story....
jforb (08-26-2023)

Quick Reply: water leak behind harmonic balancer