C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Best $4,000 4-Post Lift??

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2023, 08:29 AM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,334 Likes on 966 Posts

I looked into getting the rolling jack for my Bend Pac, but decided to get a three bag air jack instead. I use it with the jack plate and can lift it to 18" in seconds. I can also use it on the ground for a quick tire change etc. The best part is the cost, mine was $110 delivered. Lastly, consider getting the removable aluminum ramps. Your back will be happy. So will your head as you will not walk into a hanging steel ramp. Beautiful car by the way. Jerry
The following users liked this post:
RocketDNA (08-23-2023)
Old 08-17-2023, 09:59 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,629 Likes on 1,960 Posts

I have an old USA made AutoLifters (ran out of business by Chinese) that was probably the forerunner of Backyard Buddy and Advantage type lifts. I’ll vouch for the soundness of the enclosed tube column design, ramp tube guides and integral lock slots in the columns. Very safe, stable and near- fail proof system for a 4-post lift.
The following 2 users liked this post by DansYellow66:
Dreaming60’s (08-17-2023), Ralph62S4 (08-24-2023)
Old 08-17-2023, 12:59 PM
boxster99t
Burning Brakes

Received 248 Likes on 178 Posts

I have the DirectLift ProPark 8 for almost 2 years now--no complaints. If there's a dealer near you where you can do a pick up at their warehouse, you would save the shipping cost plus there's a $300 rebate from DirectLift that would bring the total price before tax below $4,000. One thing is the steel ramps are really heavy--I bought race ramps for mine to be a lower more gradual incline for my Porsche. The 67 Corvette had no problem with clearance with the steel ramps, but the race ramps are really light, I can easily pick them up one-handed. Only bad thing with race ramps is you can not raise the lift with the ramps attached.

In my case I was able to have a local installer pick my lift up and center jack, and install it for less than a BendPak would cost just for the lift alone. Fits my needs and budget, although not cheap.

You should check any lift for width from outer edge to outer edge of the runways--my 67 fits easily on the standard 8, my 997 also fits with less width to spare, and my 2018 Nissan Rogue also fits with even less width to spare. Any wider vehicle and I would have gotten a wider lift. So make sure you check the dimensions of any you buy.

The dollies to move the lift, a jack tray, and drip pans are absolutely worth having (those come standard with the DirectLift and others). I can move my DirectLift 8 no problems solo and my garage floor is smooth so there's no divots or seams to roll over. I highly recommend the bridge jack--I've gotten by with one, two would be nice but cost is a factor as those bridge jacks cost a lot. You'll also want to measure width of the bridge jacks--the one that comes with my DirectLift opens wider than some and it's a good thing because it needs almost all the width to go out to my Porsche's jack points.

Last edited by boxster99t; 08-17-2023 at 01:54 PM.
Old 08-17-2023, 03:26 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 774 Likes on 555 Posts

Some good info. I'm currently in the market for another four poster. I have a BYB which has been very reliable for the past buncha years, and a brand-name two poster that I despise. My plan once I find another four post I like (BYB lifts have gotten a bit expensive, so I'm inclined to spread the love/money elsewhere this time) and install it, is to disassemble the two post and sell it.
Old 08-17-2023, 04:45 PM
SLWRNU
Safety Car

Received 373 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Dad's '66 427
Nice cars!!! Nice hat holders!!!! And...... a Wally up on the shelf.....
😄 Nice catch on the Wally. Actually there are 21 of them up there. Really into it for quite a while.
👍 for the compliment on the small collection.
The following 2 users liked this post by SLWRNU:
bob68 (10-11-2023), Dad's '66 427 (08-17-2023)
Old 08-19-2023, 10:25 AM
rsavage1
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 61corv
I want something that was extra wide and long enough to work on my 59 caddy as well as my truck. The posts are as wide as the garage door so working around it isn't an issue. My advice is the mark the spot in the garage with tape where the post are going as well as the ramps. Place boxes or cones and see if you are happy with the foot print. AND the column height!
I have this. Check picture 6.
Auto Lift FP8K-DX-XLT Car-Park-8-Plus Extra Tall 8K lb Car Storage Parking Lift (bestbuyautoequipment.com)
I have a 9000 lb Direct lift. I put my '59 El Camino on it. Not quite as big as your Caddy but I believe they make an extra long one too.

RocketDNA (08-23-2023)
Old 08-23-2023, 02:34 PM
RocketDNA
Advanced

Received 95 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks for the many comments, opinions, and recommendations. You've all caused me to change my mind. Although one of the recommended lower-cost lifts would probably be adequate for me, I'm now intending to go with the costlier Advantage 9,000 lb lift that appears superior in many ways. I'll be contacting Tony at Advantage. .
The following 3 users liked this post by RocketDNA:
DLowe (08-23-2023), GarryL (08-25-2023), SonnyAK (08-23-2023)
Old 08-23-2023, 05:37 PM
Muttley
Burning Brakes

Received 239 Likes on 178 Posts

Advantage Lifts took over Backyard Buddy not too long ago. I found them very helpful in getting me parts for my 1990s-vintage BYB lift. They had no prints for my lift, but got me a set of compatible sheaves and axles that were greaseable (unlike the original hardware). So, I'll vouch for them being good to work with.

Last edited by Muttley; 08-23-2023 at 05:42 PM.
SonnyAK (08-23-2023)
Old 08-23-2023, 10:29 PM
SonnyAK
Melting Slicks

Received 676 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketDNA
Thanks for the many comments, opinions, and recommendations. You've all caused me to change my mind. Although one of the recommended lower-cost lifts would probably be adequate for me, I'm now intending to go with the costlier Advantage 9,000 lb lift that appears superior in many ways. I'll be contacting Tony at Advantage. .
That looks like a perfect choice.
RocketDNA (08-23-2023)
Old 10-11-2023, 04:16 PM
RocketDNA
Advanced

UPDATE: I picked up the Advantage DX-9000HD 4-Post Lift (with "Premium Package") at a local trucking terminal last week. I recruited a buddy to help get it home on an 18' tandem axle trailer. I used an engine hoist for all of the heavy lifting and had no problems. The handling and assembly step by step videos from the Advantage website, staring Tony Weber, were outstanding in every way. I am a retired Mechanical Engineer who values great design and I can attest that this lift embodies excellent engineering and it is substantially overdesigned for ruggedness and extra strength in all the right places. It was thoughtfully packaged for shipping, with subassemblies well prepared for final assembly. The assembly was very straightforward when following the videos and occasionally referring to the instruction manual. I am very happy with this lift and glad I did not go with one of the lower cost (and inferior) alternatives. I can unconditionally recommend this lift for anyone having a use similar to mine. And my wife is very pleased that her car no longer needs to be parked outside.

The following 2 users liked this post by RocketDNA:
DLowe (10-11-2023), Muttley (10-11-2023)
Old 10-11-2023, 07:16 PM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 268 Posts

What is the height of your ceiling? I would have thought you would have had to raise the garage door closer to the ceiling.
Old 10-11-2023, 07:48 PM
RocketDNA
Advanced

Originally Posted by 67's
What is the height of your ceiling? I would have thought you would have had to raise the garage door closer to the ceiling.
My ceiling height is 10 feet. I have 3 inches of clearance above the C2 headrests to the open garage door. I could lower the C2 5 inches to the next lower lock position and still have clearance for the C8.

67's (10-12-2023)
Old 10-11-2023, 08:12 PM
bob68
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a Bendpak HD9,works great and all the safety mechanism and other hoses etc are all neatly tucked out of the way. Whatever you buy make sure it’s certified!
Old 10-11-2023, 08:22 PM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,143 Likes on 1,033 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (stock)
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

I researched this heavily prior to purchase and went with Bendpak HD9W given the variety of vehicles. Only complaint is that occasionally a lock will fail to withdraw and risk coming down crooked which results in disaster if user is not paying close, careful attention. I know what to look for but I hate to think of an inexperienced operator scrolling through his phone as the car comes down crooked and wedges itself, or worse. I went with 240 V for speed and feed them from ceiling receptacles.

Dan
RocketDNA (10-11-2023)
Old 10-13-2023, 06:01 AM
macdabs
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The Advantage looks like a good choice . I have been around several different lifts all my life from the early gas station days. I own both in ground lifts and above ground Rotary two post lifts. I purchased a Bendpak HD9 in 2012 four post for storage more than use nothing but trouble with it from day one and never was impressed with the lift in general .I can see a big difference in the Advantage you chose over my Bendpak. Looks like money well spent . If you didnt get the caster save your money they just take space and you can purchase wooden dolleys for a lot less if you need to move the lift,
Mac
Old 10-13-2023, 07:23 AM
AffableCurmudgeon
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketDNA
UPDATE: I picked up the Advantage DX-9000HD 4-Post Lift (with "Premium Package") at a local trucking terminal last week. I recruited a buddy to help get it home on an 18' tandem axle trailer. I used an engine hoist for all of the heavy lifting and had no problems. The handling and assembly step by step videos from the Advantage website, staring Tony Weber, were outstanding in every way. I am a retired Mechanical Engineer who values great design and I can attest that this lift embodies excellent engineering and it is substantially overdesigned for ruggedness and extra strength in all the right places. It was thoughtfully packaged for shipping, with subassemblies well prepared for final assembly. The assembly was very straightforward when following the videos and occasionally referring to the instruction manual. I am very happy with this lift and glad I did not go with one of the lower cost (and inferior) alternatives. I can unconditionally recommend this lift for anyone having a use similar to mine. And my wife is very pleased that her car no longer needs to be parked outside.
Glad that you found something you like. Looks great. Personally, I have a Tuxedo FP8K-DX with two SJ-35 sliding jacks so I can take all 4 wheels off at the same time. I am very happy with the quality and sturdiness of mine.

Old 10-13-2023, 07:50 AM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Great taste in cars ACurmudgeon, and welcome to the CF... I love your beautiful 67 Beetle! I've got one in my car shed too!
AffableCurmudgeon (10-13-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To Best $4,000 4-Post Lift??

Old 10-13-2023, 09:22 AM
AffableCurmudgeon
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 65hihp
Great taste in cars ACurmudgeon, and welcome to the CF... I love your beautiful 67 Beetle! I've got one in my car shed too!
Thanks! Love to see your 67. You must a VW aficionado; most people can't tell the difference between years. Do post some pics of yours.
Old 10-19-2023, 09:45 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 774 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by bob68
I have a Bendpak HD9,works great and all the safety mechanism and other hoses etc are all neatly tucked out of the way. Whatever you buy make sure it’s certified!
Can you give some details about the certification, such as who or what organization does it, and how they do their tests/etc? I'm just trying to get educated a bit before I start asking questions to any dealers.

Thanks.
Old 10-20-2023, 07:33 AM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Automotive Lift Institute Certification.https://www.autolift.org/automotive-...cation%20Label.

If you are wise, you'll home in on the Advantage 4 post lift. https://www.advantagelifts.com/
RocketDNA (10-20-2023)

Quick Reply: Best $4,000 4-Post Lift??