C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Fuel Pump inlet/outlet Fittings

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2023, 05:24 PM
EhWard
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Fuel Pump inlet/outlet Fittings

Hey Gents, need a bit of help please

Just purchased an unused 40083 ACDelco fuel pump to replace my leaking old repro one.

They look absolutely identical.

So why is it that the old inlet and outlet fittings do not have the same thread pattern as the old one???
Neither the inlet elbow or outlet fitting will screw into the new pump I just received! I cleaned them both with a wire brush and cleaner so there is no debris causing them not to thread in.

Are they different thread patterns for these fittings that I am unaware of?
When I google for replacement fittings, the thread pattern isn’t an option at all, just the fitting itself, which would lead me to believe there is no options.
The last thing I want to do is apply too much force, in an attempt to thread them in, then strip the treads, wasting the new pump!

Can someone please shed some light on my issue here. She’s been out of commission for a few weeks while I found a pump and had it shipped up to me. And now, as summer is passing the midway point, I have to wait longer while I figure this hiccup out.

I appreciate it in advance.

Cheers.

Last edited by EhWard; 08-07-2023 at 05:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
LeonK (08-27-2023)
Old 08-07-2023, 06:57 PM
Chalie M
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 423 Likes on 289 Posts

If my memory serves me correctly the threads on the pump should be 1/4” PIPE THREAD, looking at the picture kind of hard to see but the threads in the pump look fine thread to me may be just the pic?
pipe thread are tapered & look more coarse like in your old pump, ( spacing of the threads thread to thread is wider, Sorry layman terms:-) I would call where it was purchased & see if they can give you some insight or return for another?

please let us know how u make out, Im always willing to learn

Chalie
Old 08-07-2023, 07:04 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,011 Likes on 2,529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I agree with Chalie, the pump on the right has coarser threads, the one on the left is fine thread. EhWard, you did the right thing by not trying to force things, and your eyes are not deceiving you. Unless someone in the past used a tap to re-cut the threads on the old, I'd have to say they make the new ones differently. And again I ask why? If you are going to manufacture a part, it costs no more to make it the right way to start with. .
Old 08-07-2023, 07:39 PM
EhWard
Advanced

Originally Posted by Chalie M
If my memory serves me correctly the threads on the pump should be 1/4” PIPE THREAD, looking at the picture kind of hard to see but the threads in the pump look fine thread to me may be just the pic?
pipe thread are tapered & look more coarse like in your old pump, ( spacing of the threads thread to thread is wider, Sorry layman terms:-) I would call where it was purchased & see if they can give you some insight or return for another?

please let us know how u make out, Im always willing to learn

Chalie
I contacted the seller but this a brand new, still in box fuel pump. Not refurbished.

I am completely at a loss for what to do…
Old 08-07-2023, 07:50 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,993 Likes on 4,810 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

you could ways take the bottom off and swap them.
Old 08-07-2023, 08:16 PM
EhWard
Advanced

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
you could ways take the bottom off and swap them.
I hate to spend $275 on a brand new replacement 40083 fuel pump, only to use 1/2 of it.

It might come to that but I’d rather not
Old 08-07-2023, 09:06 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,547 Likes on 3,011 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Can you post better focused pictures of the threads of both pumps and post pictures of the fittings you want to transfer to the new pump. Sumpthin jes ain't right.
Old 08-07-2023, 10:08 PM
EhWard
Advanced

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
Can you post better focused pictures of the threads of both pumps and post pictures of the fittings you want to transfer to the new pump. Sumpthin jes ain't right.
Sure thing

Should be obvious which pump is the new one due to the cleanliness of the housing.

From the closeup pics, they certainly appear to be exactly the same, as far as thread is concerned

What don’t think? I agree, something ain’t right here because they are the exact same pump and the new one I got was new and not refurbished.

Last edited by EhWard; 08-07-2023 at 10:38 PM.
Old 08-07-2023, 10:39 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Those are excellent pictures!

I believe both pumps are correctly threaded 1/4 NPS (maybe NPT, but I'm betting on NPS). In any event, with these clear pictures the threads look identical.

There is thread damage visible on the older pump.

Also, the threads on your hex fitting, notably threads #2 and #3 look slightly distorted.

It might be informative to obtain a brand new 1/4 MNPT fitting and try screwing it into the new pump. I'm betting it will thread in perfectly. If it does, I would stop trying to use the old fittings and go buy two new ones.
The following 2 users liked this post by jim lockwood:
Redbird (08-08-2023), WaikikiWayne (08-09-2023)
Old 08-07-2023, 11:13 PM
EhWard
Advanced

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
Those are excellent pictures!

I believe both pumps are correctly threaded 1/4 NPS (maybe NPT, but I'm betting on NPS). In any event, with these clear pictures the threads look identical.

There is thread damage visible on the older pump.

Also, the threads on your hex fitting, notably threads #2 and #3 look slightly distorted.

It might be informative to obtain a brand new 1/4 MNPT fitting and try screwing it into the new pump. I'm betting it will thread in perfectly. If it does, I would stop trying to use the old fittings and go buy two new ones.
You know, that was an excellent piece of advice and I’m embarrassed that I didn’t think of it myself!

I happened to have some spare 1/4” fittings in my tool cabinet. Tried them out and they threaded right in, first try!

I will be ordering 2 new fittings tonight and hopefully have her up and back on the road in no time.

I appreciate your help, Fellas!

Cheers!
Mike C#2 (08-09-2023)
Old 08-07-2023, 11:28 PM
KENS78SILVERANNIV
Le Mans Master

Received 293 Likes on 122 Posts

Threads look exactly the same in your close up pics. Take your time.

Last edited by KENS78SILVERANNIV; 08-07-2023 at 11:52 PM.
Old 08-08-2023, 07:22 AM
Chalie M
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 423 Likes on 289 Posts

Gotta love this Forum, at least you weren’t under the car with the pump bolted up & ran into this issue, nothing more frustrating, glad you figure it out….

Chalie

Old 08-08-2023, 07:50 AM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,011 Likes on 2,529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Photo angle and clarity can make a difference, I agree they look the same now.
Old 08-08-2023, 08:17 AM
Redbird
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 307 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2016 C2 of Year Finalist

Rebuild the old one as a standby. Also, can't tell from your photos, is there a embossed AC on top?
Old 08-08-2023, 09:02 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Originally Posted by Redbird
Rebuild the old one as a standby. Also, can't tell from your photos, is there a embossed AC on top?
Before doing that, I'd spend some time with a NPS tap to see if the fittings' threads could be salvaged. If they can't be, there'd be no point in rebuilding.
Redbird (08-11-2023)
Old 08-08-2023, 09:37 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,993 Likes on 4,810 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

neither is an assembly line pump
Old 08-08-2023, 09:51 AM
EhWard
Advanced

All I ever wanted to do was rebuild my old one. It’s easy as pie to rebuild a fuel pump. However, rebuilding the old one is not even a possibility.

I searched and searched the internet from
one side to the other, top to bottom and absolutely no where is there a rebuild kit available. They are completely discontinued, just like the genuine 40083 fuel pumps.

I even came on here asked the forum where I could find a rebuild kit for the 40083 fuel pump…no luck at all.

If anyone seeing thing knows where to find a rebuild kit, please forward that info my way. Then I can return this pump and get the stupid amount that I paid for it back!

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Pump inlet/outlet Fittings

Old 08-09-2023, 12:25 PM
DZVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 740 Likes on 460 Posts

You may be able to get a kit from Then and Now Automotive. Fellow (Tom) there told me they make them but are waiting on some parts they need for the kits.
https://www.then-now-auto.com/Then And Now Automotive
447 Washington St
Weymouth,Ma 02188
781-335-8860 781-335-1925 Fax
I recently purchased some kits from them to rebuild 4656 pumps. Good service and communications!

Sent you a PM.
Dave Z
Old 08-27-2023, 01:42 AM
AirCoupe
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C2 Fuel Pumpa

Originally Posted by EhWard
Hey Gents, need a bit of help please

Just purchased an unused 40083 ACDelco fuel pump to replace my leaking old repro one.

They look absolutely identical.

So why is it that the old inlet and outlet fittings do not have the same thread pattern as the old one???
Neither the inlet elbow or outlet fitting will screw into the new pump I just received! I cleaned them both with a wire brush and cleaner so there is no debris causing them not to thread in.

Are they different thread patterns for these fittings that I am unaware of?
When I google for replacement fittings, the thread pattern isn’t an option at all, just the fitting itself, which would lead me to believe there is no options.
The last thing I want to do is apply too much force, in an attempt to thread them in, then strip the treads, wasting the new pump!

Can someone please shed some light on my issue here. She’s been out of commission for a few weeks while I found a pump and had it shipped up to me. And now, as summer is passing the midway point, I have to wait longer while I figure this hiccup out.

I appreciate it in advance.

Cheers.
Sounds like you’re back on track. May I ask where you purchased the new one?
I sent my original AC pump out to Oregon to be rebuilt on April 4, 2023 and it took over 4 months to get it back. Put it on (1st time) and it leaked between the middle body and bottom cap. They changed the middle for some unknown reason and the casting slag on the bottom edge was so bad that the bottom cap wouldn’t seal. I flattened the high spots on the surface, put the bottom back on and reinstalled (2nd time) with no leaks. Started the car and within .5 second the AC logo on the top shot off. The diaphragm that hooks over the top of the lever must have had a clearance issue. Called the “so called” rebuilder and they said send it back and we’ll replace it. They sent me another, this time the top was warped at every one of the 10 screws probably from over tightening at some point. I hoped it wouldn’t be a problem and installed for the (3rd time). Car won’t start, no fuel is getting the carb. Took it off again. Figured I’d rig up a bench test so I connected 12” of rubber line with a funnel at the top, filled with fuel and started pumping the lever to see if I could pump fuel up the vertical hard line that goes to the filter. Lever moved easily with no resistance other than the return spring. Im now figuring all of the warping on the top section they provided is letting air in and the diaphragm isn’t sealing.
I’m ready to give up on the correct AC pump but all I can find are cheap $30 pumps with a return line fitting that I don’t need or know what to do with. Does anyone have any advice? I didn’t want to do this job once or have my car down for 5 months so any help to get this right one last time would be appreciated.

Warped top section on replacement pump

First rebuild, diaphragm blew through top housing.
Old 08-27-2023, 02:05 AM
EhWard
Advanced

Originally Posted by AirCoupe
Sounds like you’re back on track. May I ask where you purchased the new one?
I sent my original AC pump out to Oregon to be rebuilt on April 4, 2023 and it took over 4 months to get it back. Put it on (1st time) and it leaked between the middle body and bottom cap. They changed the middle for some unknown reason and the casting slag on the bottom edge was so bad that the bottom cap wouldn’t seal. I flattened the high spots on the surface, put the bottom back on and reinstalled (2nd time) with no leaks. Started the car and within .5 second the AC logo on the top shot off. The diaphragm that hooks over the top of the lever must have had a clearance issue. Called the “so called” rebuilder and they said send it back and we’ll replace it. They sent me another, this time the top was warped at every one of the 10 screws probably from over tightening at some point. I hoped it wouldn’t be a problem and installed for the (3rd time). Car won’t start, no fuel is getting the carb. Took it off again. Figured I’d rig up a bench test so I connected 12” of rubber line with a funnel at the top, filled with fuel and started pumping the lever to see if I could pump fuel up the vertical hard line that goes to the filter. Lever moved easily with no resistance other than the return spring. Im now figuring all of the warping on the top section they provided is letting air in and the diaphragm isn’t sealing.
I’m ready to give up on the correct AC pump but all I can find are cheap $30 pumps with a return line fitting that I don’t need or know what to do with. Does anyone have any advice? I didn’t want to do this job once or have my car down for 5 months so any help to get this right one last time would be appreciated.

Warped top section on replacement pump

First rebuild, diaphragm blew through top housing.
Bought if on eBay, new and unused, still in box. Really the only place I could find the proper replacement pump.

A couple sites, and I mean only 2 other sites anywhere, were both wanting $450 for a refurbished pump.

Good luck in your search.

Quick Reply: [C2] Fuel Pump inlet/outlet Fittings