C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Ignition Switch removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2023, 12:49 PM
TC233
CF Senior Fox Bat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 616 Likes on 359 Posts

Default Ignition Switch removal

It appears at this point I have put the newly keyed tumbler in upside down, if that is possible?
My release hole is bottom left rather than top right. As a consequence I am getting all the positions except start"
So I am assuming the key assembly is not reaching the contacts to start the car
I tried a wire to release the key assembly but I am not hitting any release button
Is the car a "throw away| lol
Is this a curse worse then death?

So the question is, how do I release the tumbler mechanism to put the key in right side up so the release is at the 2 oclock position and not the 7 oclock?
Old 07-13-2023, 03:17 PM
R66
Le Mans Master

Received 1,575 Likes on 1,061 Posts

I questioned the ability to install the cylinder upside down so I went out to the garage and tried it in a 066 lock assembly and could not force it in upside down. Are you sure it is in upside down?
I can't think of a way to release the pin as it is recessed below the surface of the switch housing behind the flange of the cylinder. The only way you can do it is drill the lock cylinder which of course will destroy it. You might try contacting an old time locksmith, they may have professional tricks not know to common man.
Good Luck.
The following users liked this post:
ChrisBlair (07-13-2023)
Old 07-13-2023, 03:53 PM
ChrisBlair
Melting Slicks

Received 1,009 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by R66
I questioned the ability to install the cylinder upside down so I went out to the garage and tried it in a 066 lock assembly and could not force it in upside down. Are you sure it is in upside down?
When I had mine out, perversely, I tried that too to see if I could, knowing full well I might not get it apart. I couldn't do it either. That said, all ignitions witches and lock cylinders may not be created equal

I wonder if, despite all logic, with the cylinder in upside down, unscrewing the bezel may pop it loose if it is just a little jammed and feels locked. That's a risk however to the cluster.

I bet car thieves just used a slide hammer back in the day.
Old 07-13-2023, 04:39 PM
TC233
CF Senior Fox Bat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 616 Likes on 359 Posts

Figured it out. Its a replacement ignition cylinder. and the paper clip I was using was still too big for the hole to release the tumbler. So I used the smallest drill bit I have and that fit the hole and released the cylinder.
Add to that , that when I installed the lock in the bezel upside down and I was confused to say the least. Thanks for the help
The following users liked this post:
ChrisBlair (07-13-2023)
Old 07-13-2023, 06:33 PM
inspectorudy
Burning Brakes

Received 336 Likes on 201 Posts

One thing on this subject that may be of interest is that the words of position around the switch do not always line up with the key position. My "Off" position is actually "ACC" and if you are like me, leaving the keys in the ignition, it will run your battery down. I have a Chinese tumbler in the OEM housing and there is no push-in to get to the ACC position.

Get notified of new replies

To Ignition Switch removal

Quick Reply: [C2] Ignition Switch removal