C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Looking for rear bumper installation tips (Question #2)

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2023, 05:34 PM
CADbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 359 Likes on 224 Posts
Default Looking for rear bumper installation tips (Question #2)

See this gap? It's about 3/16" of a gap. These bumpers are made with heavy gauge steel and are not flexible... If I tighten the bolt in the picture above I will FORCE the fiberglass of the quarter panel to deform to the geometry of the bumper. Right now, the bumper has its own geometry and the fiberglass has its own geometry. I know the fiberglass is somewhat flexible but I don't want to FORCE the fiberglass to conform to the geometry of the bumper this much because I'm worried it might cause some unnecessary stress on the fiberglass that could potentially lead to stress cracks??? Did GM ever use shims between the inside of the bumper and the fiberglass to accommodate for the geometry difference(s)? What am I missing? Please help me get this right. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-19-2023, 05:41 PM
vetsvette2002
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 164 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

Original bumpers or reproductions? It does make a difference
Old 06-19-2023, 05:52 PM
MrTrim
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 173 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified

No shims were used at the factory in this location that I'm aware of. so something is off, either the bumper is out of spec or, the fender or bumper are replacements.

Last edited by MrTrim; 06-19-2023 at 05:57 PM.
Old 06-19-2023, 06:38 PM
Con
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 136 Posts

You probably know this but I was surprised to see shims at the inner-upper bracket to the frame. I forget now how the puzzle of the bumper goes together but maybe that would affect your line up?
Old 06-19-2023, 06:46 PM
quahog
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

This imho is not unusual I would make a rubber spacer the shape of the bumper mounting surface / I have used black rubber squegies to make them in the past they are not noticeable once in place. Hope this helps Jeff
Old 06-19-2023, 07:07 PM
larebob
Racer

Received 113 Likes on 55 Posts

There are shims listed for the rear mounts on the rear bumpers. Maybe (maybe!) you would be better off rotating the left rear bumper clockwise as viewed from above using the specified shims. It looks like there is room for this without making the install look odd. The way you show it, the amount of rubber shims would be quite large. Alternatively you may be able to move the whole bumper toward the center of the car by means which should be somewhat obvious. Our car required some shims in various spots to repair some inelegant shim work during a previous restoration. I preferred purpose made shims like the factory ones, which I made. The bumper kit from one of the "usuals" (not bumpers, just the bolts) actually came with one (!) shim. That side bolt is not listed as having shims, so I would use a thin rubber protector, but wouldn't shim it. Latitude is available in other areas.
Old 06-20-2023, 12:10 AM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

Don't know if these are any help..........

Old 06-20-2023, 09:19 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,636 Likes on 1,967 Posts

I have reproduction bumpers and had a similar gap - possibly bumper variance or possibly due to some body repair in the rear. I shimmed the brackets out from the frame to where they were solidly in contact with the body - maybe even forcing it out very slightly but I mean very slightly. Then I used another shim and an inner tube cushion piece to fill the gap so I could snug up the bolts without putting undue pressure on the fiberglass or forcing the bumpers into misalignment. I used the same OE type shims as used between the frame and the bracket. Looking from above my bumpers are perfectly symmetrical side to side and with the fear body contour. The shims can be seen if looking closely but are not obvious. No cracks in 30 years either. I think it looks better than a lot of the C2 fears I see with one bumper sticking 1/4 to 1/2” out past the other when looking down on the rear of the car.
Old 06-20-2023, 10:52 AM
CADbrian
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by vetsvette2002
Original bumpers or reproductions? It does make a difference
I'm not sure because I don't know how to tell. I bought my car 2.5 years ago and these were the bumpers that were on the car when I purchased it. They could be the original factory installed bumpers that have been rechromed or they could be replacement GM bumpers that replaced the factory installed originals when the car was restored in 2008 or they could be repros. I was careful to install the same number of shims (in the same thickness). See item 4 in the AIM drawing below.

Old 06-20-2023, 11:03 AM
CADbrian
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by larebob
There are shims listed for the rear mounts on the rear bumpers. Maybe (maybe!) you would be better off rotating the left rear bumper clockwise as viewed from above using the specified shims. It looks like there is room for this without making the install look odd.
Bob, I was thinking about the same thing - putting a couple more shims (item 4 in the image below) at the same location as item #4 in the image below to "rotate" the bumper clockwise (as you put it). I'll certainly add this to the list of possible fixes. Thanks.

Old 06-20-2023, 11:20 AM
CADbrian
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DansYellow66
I have reproduction bumpers and had a similar gap - possibly bumper variance or possibly due to some body repair in the rear. I shimmed the brackets out from the frame to where they were solidly in contact with the body - maybe even forcing it out very slightly but I mean very slightly. Then I used another shim and an inner tube cushion piece to fill the gap so I could snug up the bolts without putting undue pressure on the fiberglass or forcing the bumpers into misalignment. I used the same OE type shims as used between the frame and the bracket. Looking from above my bumpers are perfectly symmetrical side to side and with the fear body contour. The shims can be seen if looking closely but are not obvious. No cracks in 30 years either. I think it looks better than a lot of the C2 fears I see with one bumper sticking 1/4 to 1/2” out past the other when looking down on the rear of the car.
Last night after creating this post the following thought crossed my mind...
"What if the person/people that installed this bumper just installed it without much care. Caring little if it was done properly (or not) and with consideration to the separate geometries of the fiberglass and bumper???"
I may have to be open to this possibility, and therefore I may have to loosen all the braces (5, 7, & 8 in the AIM diagram below) and simply start over from scratch with regards to their ideal positions and the number of shims used.

Old 06-20-2023, 11:55 AM
pop23235
Safety Car

Received 1,028 Likes on 686 Posts

I’d recommend you loosen all attachments, especially the frame to body bracket near the center-rear. It allows lateral adjustment. Snug the outboard hand tight first. If that fails, you may need to verify your body is sitting equally on the frame. You should at least have the same distance at this bolt on each side when the body is centered.
Old 06-20-2023, 01:35 PM
vetsvette2002
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 164 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

I would suggest going to Walmart and buying a bicycle inner tube. The cut it apart to make paint protection gaskets and put them between the paint and the bumper
Old 06-20-2023, 01:37 PM
rowingone
Burning Brakes

Received 264 Likes on 167 Posts

If I understand the bumper and the body have not changed so it fit before . . so I would loosen all the bumper bolts and tighten this one first then see if you can shim or adjust the other attachment points to compensate . . with C2s there is usually compromise with bumpers.
The following users liked this post:
DansYellow66 (06-20-2023)
Old 06-21-2023, 01:15 PM
CADbrian
Melting Slicks

I did as suggested above... Loosened all related fasteners and started over from scratch while trying to maintain the specs in the AIM. I played with the sequence when tightening the fasteners for the bumpers and brackets. In the end it looks great. I just needed to hear you guys tell me to loosen all related fasteners and started over from scratch. Thanks guys.

Old 06-21-2023, 02:33 PM
pop23235
Safety Car

Congrats
Old 06-22-2023, 08:41 AM
JohnnyRay
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by pop23235
you may need to verify your body is sitting equally on the frame.
Can the body actually be installed "off-center"? How much "slop" is in the body mounts?

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for rear bumper installation tips (Question #2)

Old 06-22-2023, 10:27 AM
pop23235
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JohnnyRay
Can the body actually be installed "off-center"? How much "slop" is in the body mounts?
That’s likely different on every car, depends on the stack up of assembly tolerances.But not a lot.
Old 06-23-2023, 07:50 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,636 Likes on 1,967 Posts

If you haven’t replaced a C2 body on a frame before, there is more slop in the body mounts than you would probably suspect. You can move it around quite a bit on the frame with the body bolts loose. I never considered how it might affect the bumper mounting though. There’s a lot of adjustment in the bumper brackets but anything is possible.
Wjkiefiuk@comcast.ne (06-23-2023)
Old 06-23-2023, 10:05 AM
CADbrian
Melting Slicks

This morning I had a frame guy come over because I wanted another confirmation that the frame was square. He just left 5 minutes ago. Good news. The frame is "perfect" as he put it. He talked about "slop" and tolerances in the body mounts. If I ever have the car painted I'll lift the body off and at that time I'll look at this further but for now I'm just happy to know that the frame is square.
DansYellow66 (06-23-2023)

Quick Reply: [C2] Looking for rear bumper installation tips (Question #2)