C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Numbers Matching? Why should I care?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2023, 08:16 PM
pop23235
Safety Car

Received 1,028 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by 427 Sidepipes
Carl- Please allow me to pose a completely different hypothetical situation to you... and then, ask your thoughts.

Letz suppose that in 196X, a set of twins were gifted the EXACT same set of C2 Corvettes, for a high school graduation present.
EXACT same body style, colors, options... they saved all the original paperwork, and pampered them during their ownership.
The twins are now selling these TWIN Corvettes... they both have the EXACT same mileage, and cosmetically appear EXACTLY the same.
There is no way you can 'easily' tell the two cars apart... they drive EXACTLY the same, and are priced EXACTLY the same.
Now the 'slight' deviation... one of the Corvettes has a CE replacement block, but it 'appears' EXACTLY like the other.

In my opinion, at least 90% of people would take home the Corvette with the ORIGINAL engine.
Additionally, most people would see the increased 'value' of having the ORIGINAL engine, over a replacement block.
If you disagree, I'm sorry... I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Please note, I have nothing against a replacement engine, as either Corvette will provide the EXACT same driving pleasure/experience.
So if you would have opted for, and paid the EXACT same price for the Corvette with the CE engine... kindly educate us on your decision.
I fully understand your theoretical. I have 2 C2’s with original, born with block / stamps. The 3rd is a new from GM CE. In your theoretical assume both have 100k miles, which is reasonable. The original engine will be well worn unless rebuilt. If rebuilt, something always gets lost. Tuftride on the crank, cam profile or metallurgy, close but not quite valve springs, lower compression from valve recession and/or piston replacement………you get the picture. Now the CE engine may be near new, low miles with original tolerances and metallurgical properties and compression. No rust in the water jackets. I’ll take condition with the CE. There is a market for both.
The following users liked this post:
carl3989 (06-20-2023)
Old 06-19-2023, 09:39 PM
427 Sidepipes
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by pop23235
I fully understand your theoretical. I have 2 C2’s with original, born with block / stamps. The 3rd is a new from GM CE. In your theoretical assume both have 100k miles, which is reasonable. The original engine will be well worn unless rebuilt. If rebuilt, something always gets lost. Tuftride on the crank, cam profile or metallurgy, close but not quite valve springs, lower compression from valve recession and/or piston replacement………you get the picture. Now the CE engine may be near new, low miles with original tolerances and metallurgical properties and compression. No rust in the water jackets. I’ll take condition with the CE. There is a market for both.
Here we go again... another person adjusting the conditions/circumstances, to favor one side (thatz not fair, but you aren't the first to try).
So pretend both engines were the same age, had the same internals, and similar mileage (apples to apples)... would you still take the CE block, when EVERYTHING was equal?

Now I'll play your game... in answer to the initial question of why the OP should care: The original engine wouldn't matter, if they intended to use the vehicle in a demolition derby.
(I see your ludicrous answer, and raise you one - LOL)
Have phun with your reindeer games... this has turned into a total train wreck... Chugga-Chugga-Choo-Choo

Last edited by 427 Sidepipes; 06-19-2023 at 10:17 PM.
Old 06-20-2023, 04:25 AM
Greg Gore
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Concerning the rebuilt original engine. Was it rebuilt by a fully equipped automotive machine shop with the latest equipment by trained machinists, and rebuilders, and assembled to high standards by a knowledgeable experienced engine assembler similar to what all NASCAR teams employ? Or was the engine rebuilt by a convenient local engine rebuilder with equipment of various types, clocked hours, maintence, and calibration. Does the engine have NOS factory replacement pistons with GM part numbers, or a set of cast replacements made in China, Does it have its original crankshaft which was inspected, magnafluxed, and measured with only polished rod and main journals to preserve their standard dimensions? This is important to experienced engine builders who always measure all five main bearing bore sizes in the block with caps torqued in place and all eight new or reconditioned connecting rods which are pre-assembled and torqued to measure their inside diameters.

This is important because there are factory specs for sizes of torqued bearing bores which control the amount of crush (interference fit) on bearing inserts because only standard size replacement rod and main bearings are available in .001 undersize, standard, and .001 oversize. This makes it possible for the assemblers to adjust oil clearance values of assembled parts to preferred specs by selecting different combinations of the three during engine pre-assembly mock-up checks in order to record his numbers in the build sheet records.

You don't have this option when you are installing crankshafts with rod and main journals reconditioned to various undersizes. Replacement bearings in .010, .020, and .030 undersize are only available in the standard size, no option to choose + or - is made available. This is critical to any experienced engine builder. This means shop employees charged with honing the rods and regrinding the crankshaft must be experienced enough to hit target sizes every time, any miscalculation here means it's possible the engine could get reassembled with incorrect oil clearances. If your rebuilt engine did not come with records which show these measured and recorded values you might have some unknowns inside.

Last edited by Greg Gore; 06-20-2023 at 04:58 AM.
BAD-L88 (06-22-2023)
Old 06-20-2023, 05:51 AM
Helix9595
Pro

Received 276 Likes on 133 Posts
Default Wow

Originally Posted by Greg Gore
Concerning the rebuilt original engine. Was it rebuilt by a fully equipped automotive machine shop with the latest equipment by trained machinists, and rebuilders, and assembled to high standards by a knowledgeable experienced engine assembler similar to what all NASCAR teams employ? Or was the engine rebuilt by a convenient local engine rebuilder with equipment of various types, clocked hours, maintence, and calibration. Does the engine have NOS factory replacement pistons with GM part numbers, or a set of cast replacements made in China, Does it have its original crankshaft which was inspected, magnafluxed, and measured with only polished rod and main journals to preserve their standard dimensions? This is important to experienced engine builders who always measure all five main bearing bore sizes in the block with caps torqued in place and all eight new or reconditioned connecting rods which are pre-assembled and torqued to measure their inside diameters.

This is important because there are factory specs for sizes of torqued bearing bores which control the amount of crush (interference fit) on bearing inserts because only standard size replacement rod and main bearings are available in .001 undersize, standard, and .001 oversize. This makes it possible for the assemblers to adjust oil clearance values of assembled parts to preferred specs by selecting different combinations of the three during engine pre-assembly mock-up checks in order to record his numbers in the build sheet records.

You don't have this option when you are installing crankshafts with rod and main journals reconditioned to various undersizes. Replacement bearings in .010, .020, and .030 undersize are only available in the standard size, no option to choose + or - is made available. This is critical to any experienced engine builder. This means shop employees charged with honing the rods and regrinding the crankshaft must be experienced enough to hit target sizes every time, any miscalculation here means it's possible the engine could get reassembled with incorrect oil clearances. If your rebuilt engine did not come with records which show these measured and recorded values you might have some unknowns inside.
Oh My... a dose of reality. Be careful man, you might send him over the edge....
Old 06-20-2023, 07:34 AM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

Received 2,122 Likes on 994 Posts

Well this has certainly gone off the rails.

Back to Carl. You questioned why should you care? Answer is you either do or you don’t and the why is up to you to decide.

To me the only why would be if I wanted a matching #s car and was willing to pay a premium for it. Then question then would be how much of a premium would I pay. And that is they question nobody can answer for another person.

My 67 BBC Coupe is a NOM car. If it was matching #s engine I would have be willing to pay $8-$10k more. Not because I wanted a #s car but because it’s probably worth it to somebody down the road.

That said the down side is that many people with #s engine are afraid of blowing them up so they don’t drive them much and when they do they baby them. That’s not for me.
The following 2 users liked this post by Vega$Vette:
427 Sidepipes (06-20-2023), Helix9595 (06-20-2023)
Old 06-20-2023, 07:50 AM
Helix9595
Pro

Received 276 Likes on 133 Posts
Default Yep

Originally Posted by Vega$Vette
Well this has certainly gone off the rails.

Back to Carl. You questioned why should you care? Answer is you either do or you don’t and the why is up to you to decide.

To me the only why would be if I wanted a matching #s car and was willing to pay a premium for it. Then question then would be how much of a premium would I pay. And that is they question nobody can answer for another person.

My 67 BBC Coupe is a NOM car. If it was matching #s engine I would have be willing to pay $8-$10k more. Not because I wanted a #s car but because it’s probably worth it to somebody down the road.

That said the down side is that many people with #s engine are afraid of blowing them up so they don’t drive them much and when they do they baby them. That’s not for me.
I am right there with ya Vegas. I have had people ask me if I am crazy for driving mine, Being a Survivor with original paint and interior, I can see why some may think that. If this car had a documented NM engine I probably would pass it on the the museum guys and buy something else.
427 Sidepipes (06-20-2023)
Old 06-20-2023, 10:27 AM
427 Sidepipes
Racer

Originally Posted by Vega$Vette
Back to Carl. You questioned why should you care? Answer is you either do or you don’t and the why is up to you to decide. To me the only why would be if I wanted a matching #s car and was willing to pay a premium for it. Then question then would be how much of a premium would I pay. And that is they question nobody can answer for another person..
Indeed... Carl should care, so he doesn't pay too much for the vehicle. It appears most people agree that an original engine (in an otherwise EQUAL comparison), is worth 'something' more.
As long as the purchase price was 'reasonable', caring is no longer a factor. Drive it and have fun... absolutely NOTHING wrong with a replacement engine.

Originally Posted by Helix9595
I am right there with ya Vegas. I have had people ask me if I am crazy for driving mine, Being a Survivor with original paint and interior, I can see why some may think that.
Itz your car... do what makes you happy. Personally, I prefer driving (when my health allows it)... I'm not so much into any of the judging aspects.
Old 06-20-2023, 10:59 AM
pop23235
Safety Car

Here we go again... another person adjusting the conditions/circumstances, to favor one side (thatz not fair, but you aren't the first to try).
So pretend both engines were the same age, had the same internals, and similar mileage (apples to apples)... would you still take the CE block, when EVERYTHING was equal?

Now I'll play your game... in answer to the initial question of why the OP should care: The original engine wouldn't matter, if they intended to use the vehicle in a demolition derby.
(I see your ludicrous answer, and raise you one - LOL)
Have phun with your reindeer games... this has turned into a total train wreck... Chugga-Chugga-Choo-Choo
Just an exercise to point out an original engine will not have the same history/mileage of the CE unless it came from St. Louis with a CE, which we know didn’t happen. So the premise they are equal cannot be. But you be happy and drive yours, I’ll be happy and drive mine .
Old 06-20-2023, 11:25 AM
427 Sidepipes
Racer

Just an exercise to point out an original engine will not have the same history/mileage of the CE unless it came from St. Louis with a CE, which we know didn’t happen. So the premise they are equal cannot be. But you be happy and drive yours, I’ll be happy and drive mine .
hy·po·thet·i·cal... by making an assumption, for the sake of discussion or argument.
Some folkz find that too hard to comprehend, and prefer to argue a totally different scenario.
Bon voyage...
Vega$Vette (06-20-2023)
Old 06-20-2023, 11:30 AM
pop23235
Safety Car

hy·po·thet·i·cal... by making an assumption, for the sake of discussion or argument.
Some folkz find that too hard to comprehend, and prefer to argue a totally different scenario.
Bon voyage...

Maybe you missed the OPs post was theoretical?
Old 06-20-2023, 12:04 PM
427 Sidepipes
Racer

Maybe you missed the OPs post was theoretical?
Theoretically speaking, you replied to MY hypothetical post... or do you have a split personality?
Old 06-20-2023, 12:39 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,831 Likes on 2,072 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Oh just stop.....

Quick Reply: Numbers Matching? Why should I care?