C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] '66 Tele Column Wiring Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2023, 08:54 AM
Fat Mike
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 730 Likes on 610 Posts

Default '66 Tele Column Wiring Question

Hey Guys, working on a '66 with a telescopic column. How are the two turn signal wiring connectors supposed to be secured at the bottom of the column? My assembly manual does not show this detail. Not sure if all manuals are like this or just my manual. I know the non-tele column utilized a clip to hold the wire connections at the bottom of the column. On the tele column, the wires slide up and down as the wheel is raised and lowered so it does not look to me like this style of clip will work.

Can anyone supply me with more detail and perhaps even a photo or a drawing showing this detail? I sure would appreciate it.
Old 05-24-2023, 02:20 PM
buns
Safety Car

Received 690 Likes on 537 Posts

This should help. #35, 36, 37.

Old 05-24-2023, 04:19 PM
ChrisBlair
Melting Slicks

Received 999 Likes on 504 Posts

I found in my own '66 with tele column that the connector and wires were becoming inolved with the clutch pedal hardware. No bueno!

I loosely zip tied the connector up, for short term. I need to replace that switch anyway. In the interim: I'm not moving the column!
Old 05-24-2023, 04:33 PM
Fat Mike
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Thank you guys!
Old 05-25-2023, 04:43 AM
TokyoMark
Retired
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Mike. I feel your pain. Just installed my reworked telescopic column last summer. I could not get the wire connectors to slip in the metal clip at the bottom of the column as to close to the firewall. Just like Chris said if they are not secured properly it will interfere with the clutch pedal...and like Chris I zip tied it in place until I can get back to it. If you find a solution on how to get it in its proper clipped location let us know. It may have to be done as you slide the column in place before it is secured to the rag joint, but I am guessing. Good luck. Mark
Old 05-25-2023, 08:49 AM
Fat Mike
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks Mark. I haven't had a chance to work on it again but plan to in the future. I will provide an update as I have more info.
The following users liked this post:
TokyoMark (05-25-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To '66 Tele Column Wiring Question

Quick Reply: [C2] '66 Tele Column Wiring Question